Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1364789)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
FIA: "You can change flatspotted tyres"

Just read over on Autosport.com that the FIA has clarified a rule stating that you may change tyres that have been flatspotted.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1364790)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clarified, rather than altered.

You've always been able to change damaged tyres, they've just confirmed that a flatspot can be counted as damaged.

But you can't change a tyre at the same put stop as refuelling.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1364798)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep.
Will be interesting to see if drivers "accidentally" lock-up their tyres 2 corners before the pit entry on their in-lap...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1364802)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since you need to make a completely different pit-stop, I think not.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1364815)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No change, the rule is just a bit more transparent.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1364843)   #6
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thks. Now I understand why both JV and Monteiro pitted and changed front tyres without anyone making a fuss about it. I also take it that more than one "damaged" tyre may be changed at the same time together with a nose cone as long as the car is not refuelled on that pit stop. This makes sense.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1364864)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure how i feel about this particularly in the sense that driver error leading to a flat spot can be changed without fear of penalty.
imo, i kind of liked seeing kimi fight to win the euro gp even after he made a mistake that flat spotted his tire and badly affected his car.
people are always saying that they want to see drivers drive, this was a case of that and now its gone in the name of safety!
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1364869)   #8
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd still have the penalty of an extra stop.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1364871)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree chillibowl.

The fascination of the European GP would have been non-existent without the tyre rule.

But after that race, there were about five people moaning endlessly about safety and thus the rules had to be clarified.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1364903)   #10
mike bt
Rookie

mike bt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone enlighten me.....how flat does the flatspot have to be? Is this defined in the rules?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1364908)   #11
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree that the European GP wouldn't have been as fascinating.

Kimi could have changed the tire... but would have had to make an extra pit stop to do so. The option was there before the FIA made this 'clarification'... McLaren didn't do it then, and they probably wouldn't do it if faced with the same choices now.

Pitting in that situation loses the race. There is your drama... and it will be just as dramatic next time a team/driver face a similar dillemma...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 27 Jul 2005 at 18:11. Reason: Grammar
Old 27 Jul 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1364918)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not quite Shiny. The option of changing the tyre would have existed earlier, immediately after the first flat-spot, and would've allowed him to make the stop without losing all the time he lost later in the race.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1364920)   #13
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... assuming the uberflatspot was the result of an earlier, smaller flat-spot, I suppose he wouldn't have lost as much time if he caught the small one earlier and decided to pit for a replacement.

It still would have been an extra stop in which he could not take on any fuel, which would have lost him 30+ seconds easily, so not sure how that would compare in the long run. But I can accept that it may have made it less spectacular, perhaps...
Old 27 Jul 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1364965)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike bt
Can someone enlighten me.....how flat does the flatspot have to be? Is this defined in the rules?
You must have lost at least one filling (pre-race checked by FIA dentist) in order to change a tyre.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1365113)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike bt
It doesn't matter. If it is a small flat spot then there is no need to change. The penalty wouldn't be worth it. If it is a big flatspot to cause a problem then it is worth changing. the flat spot is significant.

On shiny's point. Yes you could come in with a small flat spot before it becomes a big one, but in reality you wouldn't. A small flat spot isn't losing you much time and you wait to see if it did develop into a problem first.

On the European GP, this clarification has makes little difference. Kimi would still have stayed out for the win. Besides they could have stopped for a new tyre then.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1365118)   #16
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget you have to replace it with a WORN TYRE!

This is to stopwhat you suggested earlier
Old 27 Jul 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1365122)   #17
mike bt
Rookie

mike bt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ha Ha !! Excellent!! Thanks Martyn
Old 28 Jul 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1365351)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
not sure how i feel about this particularly in the sense that driver error leading to a flat spot can be changed without fear of penalty.
imo, i kind of liked seeing kimi fight to win the euro gp even after he made a mistake that flat spotted his tire and badly affected his car.
people are always saying that they want to see drivers drive, this was a case of that and now its gone in the name of safety!
Well that's just nonsense - he COULD have changed his tyre and been 25 seconds back as a consequence, and then you would have seen a different kind of battle for the win - where he would have made an heroic struggle to make up lost ground. You would have seen him drive!

Oh - and incidentally, if he had done that and finished second he'd be eight points better off.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1365426)   #19
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this rule is stupid anyway. But of course that's not a change, as K-b said.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1365779)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Well that's just nonsense
while i do agree with you that if he changed his tire we could have seen different battle and that could have been great, but thats just hindsight. you might as well say he should not have made the mistake in the first place. aways had the rule clarification been in place during the euro maybe he would have pitted, got the 8 points and been closer to to alonso and maybe we would have seen a closer battle for the last 7 races. but all thats speculation.

my point was simply that i enjoyed seeing kimi fight with a car that wasn't working right anymore and he was doing it while in 1st place. i like the driver and team taking a chance and going for a win - the uncertainty about the tire change rule allowed that to happen while forcing the driver to live with his mistakes. IMO, for me thats racing. besides if everyone is so concerned with saftey dont race in a marginal car.