Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2802206)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef GT3 American Championship proposed

Gasp!!! GT3 could be come into America with it's own series!

Discuss.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2802221)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i love gt3 in europe but grandam, alms and the world challenge ...is there enough room for gt3???
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:33 (Ref:2802231)   #3
Sellysell
Rookie

United States
Sellysell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the economy gets better, by that time why not. There probably be a lot of gentleman driver, but this will be a good place for young american to show there skills and get there career kick off
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2802233)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
i love gt3 in europe but grandam, alms and the world challenge ...is there enough room for gt3???
I think it could easily swallow up World Challenge.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2802245)   #5
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I think it could easily swallow up World Challenge.
And also perhaps the Porsche Cup type series as well.

DK
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:34 (Ref:2802259)   #6
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
If the idiots at the ALMS would open up the Challenge class this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2802265)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
If the idiots at the ALMS would open up the Challenge class this wouldn't be an issue.
I doubt the ACO would take kindly to it.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:57 (Ref:2802267)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Their loss, not our's! New racing is welcome, if the R8LMS makes an appearance in it, well I think that'll have some attraction.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2802268)   #9
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's our loss if none of the series are sustainable because the entries are too fractured.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2802272)   #10
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If it's a proposal with sound reasoning behind it who are we to judge what is and isn't sustainable? Or are you apart of the inner workings of such a deal? Don't speak as if you know what's going to happen or what isn't if you have no clue what the financing for the series will be or where it's coming from. Obviously there is no GT3 cars in ALMS, so where else will they race in America? Either in a new series or somewhere like Rolex.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2802276)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Works for me.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2802284)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Or the ALMS should drop the prototypes and run a GT/3 only division, much like back in the Camel GT days.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 05:23 (Ref:2802288)   #13
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If it's a proposal with sound reasoning behind it who are we to judge what is and isn't sustainable? Or are you apart of the inner workings of such a deal? Don't speak as if you know what's going to happen or what isn't if you have no clue what the financing for the series will be or where it's coming from. Obviously there is no GT3 cars in ALMS, so where else will they race in America? Either in a new series or somewhere like Rolex.
Is it sound reasoning? You are missing the point. Why have so many series with relatively comparable cars? Would you rather have a Grand Am GT class with say 8 cars, an ALMS challenge class with 8 cars and an FIA GT3 series with say 12 cars OR just one series or class of GT3 type cars with say 24-30 cars? It's not rocket science. There are only so many to teams that will run at that level so why split them? Grand Am already looks to be on the verge of a GT3 type class so why have the Rat come over and steal entries with his series? The ALMS seems content to have the Challenge class as a Porsche club racing class so it is an non issue. This is about power and making money off sanctioning fees, none of these 3 entities (GA, ALMS, SRO) give 2 cents about us fans... It's a business and they're fighting for market share.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2802312)   #14
TF110
Veteran

United States
If it were up to me I'd be all for what you suggest. But it's not. Were not in charge of the rulings of certain series. So it seems the ACO isnt going to have GT3 cars, so I guess this is another way to get GT3 cars racing in America.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2802317)   #15
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO is gonna want and need GT3 cars in a few years when GT2s have priced themselves out. In the meantime, I don't see a grid of GT3s appear in America with the economy, the fragmentation AND Ratel in charge.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2802386)   #16
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
GT2 is already eye wateringly costly!
This is why GT3 and 4 were launched in the first place.

Personally, I cannot see why the US couldn't fit a GT3 championship in. Maybe, as said, it subsumes a stand alone series that wasn't that sound to start with, so good luck to them. At least GT3 and GT4 are internationally known, and this class of car runs all over the world already... Meaning plenty of used cars for the less financially advantaged.

Sorry, I'm finding it hard to see a downside, here.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2802432)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Plus GT3 cars can race at the N24, the Dubai 24, and the Spa 24, so there's prestige to be had.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2802444)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Why have so many series with relatively comparable cars? Would you rather have a Grand Am GT class with say 8 cars, an ALMS challenge class with 8 cars and an FIA GT3 series with say 12 cars OR just one series or class of GT3 type cars with say 24-30 cars? It's not rocket science. There are only so many to teams that will run at that level so why split them?
Exactly. There are too many championships now. If Ratel manages to start his, drivers won't appear from thin air, they will come from any of these, from Grand-Am Conti Challenge or SCCA World Challenge.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2802468)   #19
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A stand alone American GT3 Championship would be good as long as…
  1. It’s not sanctioned by the FIA
  2. It’s not promoted by the SRO
  3. They have no driver ratings
  4. Have no success ballast
  5. Does not use 911 as a baseline
It would be nice if Grand AM and ALMS and WC could play nice and share this ONE entry level series and have cars based heavily on their road going counterparts. GT3 teams could run the same amount of races in each series.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2802496)   #20
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
OK, so I can go and hire in a couple of hotshoes, and wipe the floor with everyone?
THAT is what the ratings are about. Level Playing Field. Sheesh, that seems to be an obsession over there, and now you come out with this?

Whatever. Stay insular and isolated. We're having a good time over here, 40+ cars in every race. How 'bout you?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2802500)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ask yourself why such a seemingly simple change is not being brought in.

As far as I can see it's one of two reasons, either Porsche have done a deal with the ALMS or the series is fearful it would be the beginning of the end for GTE as it has been in so many national series.

Ratel talks of 14 manufactuers fielding two cars apiece, in reality there are half a dozen competitive cars which need yearly updates and are becoming ever more costly.

IMO the best solution is the simplest, the series adopts GTE Pro/GTE Am, same reg cars competing together on the track with a reduced cost of entry and increased customer market. Previous year Corvettes, BMW's etc. should be competing in the following years series in the hands of privateers, not stored in garages or shipped to other countries.

Last edited by JAG; 10 Dec 2010 at 16:37.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2802534)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Or the ALMS should drop the prototypes and run a GT/3 only division, much like back in the Camel GT days.
No, it would be exactly like an American GT3 Championship.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2802542)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
No, it would be exactly like an American GT3 Championship.
No, as in you run the GT cars and the GT3 cars together, much like the old GTO/U races.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2802543)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No, as in you run the GT cars and the GT3 cars together, much like the old GTO/U races.
Only that the GTUs were never a thread for the overall win, whereas the GT3s would be able to challenge for podiums regularly and wins on a good day.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2802545)   #25
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Then yank the restrictors off the GT cars. :P