Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Apr 2003, 03:53 (Ref:569739)   #1
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snobeck, Rapier LM3000 and Lindsay..

Anyone heard anything lately on these cars?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:27 (Ref:569869)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Don't think anyone's heard anything about the Lindsay for some time- presumably it's fallen victim to lack of money, and the Snobeck has probably gone the saem way.

The Rap[ier should be out in FIASSC this season I believe- think I read somewhere (on DSC?) somewhere that they were updating the car in some way but it wouldn't be ready for Estoril. Anyone able to confirm that?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 17:38 (Ref:570302)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
And what happened to these:

CRAWFORD SCC2K-Judd (2001)
GUNNAR G-99 S (2002)
HARRIER LR-10 LMP1 (2000)
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:12 (Ref:570397)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dyson bought a Crawford chassis (a used one, I presume)and won with it at VIR in the Grand Am series last fall...I remember during the race coverage that the announcing team was saying that the chassis tended to be tempramental and not very driver friendly...but the package had a lot of work and developemtn done on it...

Crawford apparently is putting their efforts into their DSP for Grand Am...unless they are looking at 2004 to build an updated version of it, the car is probably history...

Don't know about the other two....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:23 (Ref:570409)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just looked up the Gunnar G-99-S...

Go to their website:

www.gunnarracing.com

They put a greenhouse on it and had hoped to run the chassis as a GTS car at Daytona this year...even went to testing...

I have no idea if they ever did make the race....

Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:00 (Ref:570513)   #6
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gunnar G-99 was run at the second Grand-Am race of the year; they withdrew it before the race at Daytona. Dyson didn't buy the Crawford chassis. Max Crawford loaned it to them twice during 2002, once during the first few races and again at VIR, and when i talked to Andy Wallace after the race he said it was shame that the car wouldn't be running anymore since it was actually a pretty good car. They beat the Lista/Doran Dallara at VIR with it there so it couldn't have been that bad considering it's a pretty technical track. The Crawford SSC2k is gone now, though, and i don't think we'll ever see it again.

I heard a rumor earlier in the year that Snobeck was going to try to get an entry for Le Mans this year, but obviously that never came to fruition. As for all the other chassis i'm gonna lump them with crawford in the "gone but not forgotten" group, with the exception of the rapier.

Last edited by danhx; 15 Apr 2003 at 21:02.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:02 (Ref:570515)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That car did run srong at VIR...ran in a torrential downpour, didn't it???

It is too bad that the chassis went away...apparently it had lots of potential....

Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:21 (Ref:570526)   #8
courage
Rookie

courage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...erLR10LMP1.htm
Some infos for the Harrier. The last race of the car was in FIASCC and the car vstarted to burn...
For the snobeck one chassis was built with a 4 cylenders engine (a sodemo ) for LMP675...
There are photos of the car on their official site (they date from jun 2002...)
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:24 (Ref:570528)   #9
courage
Rookie

http://www.snbe-snobeck.fr/F/LM01/default.htm
The snobeck site
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:34 (Ref:570539)   #10
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, the Crawford didn't go away completely. Everything learned from it is being applied to the DP, which will supposedly be out next year. Think it will have the speed of the original? hehe..

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:40 (Ref:570542)   #11
courage
Rookie

Don't forget that the crawford is in carbon and that the DP can't be in carbone!Maiby that they could use the old car in ALMS..
Old 15 Apr 2003, 21:41 (Ref:570545)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I assumed that they didn't throw away their data...

It just might have the speed of the original...if the original is running in reverse....

Didn't Skip Barber Racing run one of these chassis at one time...with a Chrysler engine adapted from the sprint car circuit???

Crawford Engineering seems to be an innovative group...I hope that they will return to "real sportscar racing" someday soon...

Old 16 Apr 2003, 15:10 (Ref:571233)   #13
danhx
Racer

Skip Barber definitely didn't run an SSC2K since there was only one of those chassis built and it only had a Judd engine. You're thinking of the Dallara chassis that ran the Chrysler (Mopar) engine from Sprint Cars, but that was run by Oreca. As far as i know the only racing Skip Barber Racing has done in the past decade is his own series run under his racing school and his pro series run as a feeder to other american open wheel championship.

In its win at VIR, the Crawford didn't quite have to run through a "torrential downpour". It rained for practice and was damp in qualifying and the very beginning of the race, but no rain during the race though. It was pretty cold, though. It was hell for the marhalls, but at least we got a good view for one of the last real Grand-Am races.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 15:46 (Ref:571261)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I just had a vague memory of crappy weather that weekend...I also remember them running in the wet...

I also thought that the Doran/Lista Dallara had some sort of problem (a spin or off-road journey??) that made them try to come back from the mishap...

Old 16 Apr 2003, 16:52 (Ref:571314)   #15
a_r_c_a
Racer

a_r_c_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I just had a vague memory of crappy weather that weekend...I also remember them running in the wet...
When you're on, I swear you're on but don't be ridiculous.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 17:06 (Ref:571331)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps this is the right place to pose a question that's been puzzling me for a while. What happens to old works cars, and why aren't they sold on? I'm thinking particularly of the ex-factory Mercs from 1997-98 (the '99 cars probably wouldn't have a high resale value), the 1999/2000 BMW roadsters and the Porsche 911 GT1-98s (both works and Zakspeed cars). I know the Porkers are in the Weissach museum, but couldn't some or all of these cars have been campaigned by privateers? Or were they rendered ineligible by rule changes? Anyone know?
Old 16 Apr 2003, 17:44 (Ref:571368)   #17
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crawford dates back quite a while; they are the company taht built the Mazda RX7-92 GTP car...
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:26 (Ref:571410)   #18
danhx
Racer

The company dates back a while, but not this particular chassis that i was talking about.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:32 (Ref:571417)   #19
danhx
Racer

To BSchneiderFan:
I've often wondered that myself. What did Toyota do with the GT-Ones? I'm sure there would have had plenty of teams perfectly willing to take them off their hands, although they could have been prohibitively expensive. Same thing with the Mercs. I would have figured that Dome could have run the BMWs since they built a modified version of the chassis but never raced it (at least not to my knowledge). I know that there were a couple 911 GT-1s kicking around in North America for a little while, but they were run off by rule changes and reclassification. Last time i saw one was in GTS class in Grand-Am a couple years ago and it was getting spanked by a Saleen.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:34 (Ref:571419)   #20
danhx
Racer

Quote:

I also thought that the Doran/Lista Dallara had some sort of problem (a spin or off-road journey??) that made them try to come back from the mishap...
I think Dider Theys did take it off course briefly (something happened on the other side of the track around turn 4 but i couldn't see and i didn't have the radio at the moment), but the thing that really caught them out was yellow flags.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:42 (Ref:571428)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I've wonedered the same thing, but not only for old works cars that competed....

What about a project like the one on Mulsanne Mike's site called the

"Tom's Toyota 'Lumpy' LMP"

That is a solid-looking chassis that should've raced somewhere...and you know that there are privateers who have the funds to buy something like that and take it as their project to refine and run...

If a factory changes their racing focus into other areas, why just toss something like this into the dustbin???

Old 16 Apr 2003, 21:30 (Ref:571555)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note to Team Bucknum, Team Jota and PiR:

Take a flyer on the Snobeck...

Le the Pilbeams gather dust...

What do you have to lose???

It can't be any worse than the turds you're strapping yourselves into right now....

Old 16 Apr 2003, 23:38 (Ref:571650)   #23
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.totalmotorsport.com/Featu...play.asp?ID=10

That page has pictures plus a little information on the Lindsay LMP675 from 2001.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 00:00 (Ref:571658)   #24
a_r_c_a
Racer

a_r_c_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What do you have to lose???
See their heads up in a cloud
Old 17 Apr 2003, 14:14 (Ref:572138)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Or their heads are up somewhere else that is not as bright, light or sweet smelling and refreshing...