Gascoyne Joins Toyota!!!

Toyota Motorsport GmbH has today announced that Mike Gascoyne has signed a
contract to become Technical Director Chassis for the Panasonic Toyota
Racing team.

http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=7790
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:30 (Ref:751832)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I knew it!
Renault are screwed if they don't find a good replacement.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Oct 2003 at 08:31.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:34 (Ref:751838)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this was news a while ago wasnt it? I knew it from somewhere a while ago.

Renault will have a good group of people around Gasgoyne, and hopefully they will continue with their success. But Toyota have a very VERY good designer there.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:36 (Ref:751839)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Toyota will be a 'monster' next year...
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:37 (Ref:751841)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota cheque book wins the day - I think the term is offer he couldn't refuse!

Signals that Toyota means business, going to be interesting to watch them over the next two seasons.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:40 (Ref:751842)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With his knowledge and Michelin tyres it should bode well. Now they need two good drivers (although Da Matta is shapeing up well).
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:44 (Ref:751848)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe thats why schumi was seen in a toyota shirt and cap...jumping ships!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:45 (Ref:751850)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oops!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:54 (Ref:751857)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota have the money, the designers and the ambition to be a collosus, but i wonder whether they have the drivers or the commitment to make it last.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:03 (Ref:751864)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
I think this was news a while ago wasnt it? I knew it from somewhere a while ago.
Yes this has been long rumoured, but now we have confirmation.

It'll not be a quick change, is it too late for next year's car (I am guessing that there is no need for gardening leave).

In Toyota and Renault's case one man doesn't make a team, however he is and was an important part.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:06 (Ref:751865)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He's also been a bit of a mouthpiece for Renault this year. What were his comments re Button etc?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:21 (Ref:751871)   #12
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
[B]...the term is offer he couldn't refuse!/B]
Well, its like an offer from the Godfather in mafia world...

Sorry, I just rewatch the Godfather trilogy movies.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:23 (Ref:751872)   #13
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
I knew it!
Renault are screwed if they don't find a good replacement.
I totally agree

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:30 (Ref:751880)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=7791

They've appointed his successor - Gascoyne's deputy.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:30 (Ref:751881)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to improve Toyota dramatically.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:34 (Ref:751886)   #16
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, money talks in this case.
And I too think Toyota will bw much stronger in the (near) future. Their engine has never been highly praised, but they allways mannged to achieve top-5 top speeds (top 3 if you look only constructors) on the speed traps, and with Gascoigne's help, the chassis should quickly improve for better cornering, and there they go...

Quote:
It'll not be a quick change, is it too late for next year's car (I am guessing that there is no need for gardening leave).
Since it's Toyota we're talking about I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make new one. (It's not my beloved macaroons, you know )

And Renault? Well, if they have lost chief engine designer, I wouldn't be worried at all, but this might leave some consequences.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:45 (Ref:751902)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ljakse
Their engine has never been highly praised, but they allways mannged to achieve top-5 top speeds (top 3 if you look only constructors) on the speed traps...
Other way round surely? The Toyota engine as been widely praised from the outset, with a lack of finesse in the chassis and aerodynamics departments being blamed for taking the edge off their competitiveness.

I think 2004 will be too soon to make a very big difference, but certainly the year following that we will see Toyota rising to challenge Renault. BAR and Jaguar should be very concerned by this news.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:00 (Ref:751909)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As he's not joining until 1 Dec, I suspect they will not be able to start the season with one of his deisgns. The only possibility is that they deosign an interim car from this year's model, and introduce the enw car if/when ready (look at McLaren).

The chassis has been a major weak link at Toyota in the past. Both drivers are confirmed for 2004, but a new lineup after that seems likely. Ralf? DC?

Toyota race victories by 2006 now seem likely. Renault advanced significantly and Jordan declined badly over the 2 years after Mike's last switch, but bear in mind that Jordan lost most of their technical staff to Benetton at that time; they followed Mike. Bob Bell, who takes over at the to at Renault, may well be one of the former Jordan guys.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:03 (Ref:751913)   #19
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I really ment that it's never been too praised - it was allways in the shadow of BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari engines (not that anybody said it was bad).
And for the rest, yes, that's it.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:03 (Ref:751915)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

In Toyota and Renault's case one man doesn't make a team, however he is and was an important part.
Correct, one man doesn't make a team, however it's who he can persuade to go to Toyota with him.

IIRC, Mike took a few people to Renault with him from Jordan, look at the trouble they have been in the last few years.

Renault are too good to go down the Jordan route, but it will be a mighty blow to them and a very good signing for Toyota.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:07 (Ref:751919)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
As he's not joining until 1 Dec, I suspect they will not be able to start the season with one of his deisgns. The only possibility is that they deosign an interim car from this year's model, and introduce the enw car if/when ready (look at McLaren).
Toyota have said they don't want to do a new car mid-season. There new challenger will be at Melbourne. (Of course this may change).

However all cars are continually evolved and Gascoyne can have a hand in this.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:11 (Ref:751926)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Yep, I think a lot of aero tweaks throughout the year and development parts.

It's interesting that with all the hundreds (thousands collectively) employed by the F1 teams, there are probably on 6 people in F1 with the technical influence to dramatically alter a teams fortunes.

Hence the market in technical directors is almost the same as the top drivers.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:11 (Ref:751929)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Where does Symonds sit in all of this. I'm being a bit vague but isn't he part of the Renault design team too?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:751956)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Peter - He is, but is he more on the race engineering side than design these days?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:37 (Ref:751961)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm.

And he was IIRC the owner of Symtek.