Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:34 (Ref:755905)   #51
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Martin Haven is second best to Ben Edwards, they sound similar though...

Martin Haven can be hilarious, I listen to him commentate on a German Hill Climb "Rachau" with bonkers participants, totally wet my pants.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:13 (Ref:755976)   #52
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murry was so good because he said the wrong things and was so excited about F1.
So to replace his replacement we need someone who talks well, loves F1 and says the occasional daft thing that makes us all smile.
Jeremy Clarkson would be great. As would the comments and opinions of Eddy Irvine.
Clive James commentated on F1 a long time ago, how about fast talking, excitable Clive Anderson?
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:11 (Ref:756059)   #53
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Jeremy Clarkson, but his voice is too slow : "This.... is ... a ... car..." They'd have to put him on double speed

I can imagine Irvine commentating: "God, his driving is ****"

But have any other countries had a duo of commentators who were both ex-F1 drivers?
Old 20 Oct 2003, 00:07 (Ref:756457)   #54
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Bring back Murray Walker!!!!
Old 20 Oct 2003, 00:11 (Ref:756458)   #55
Buzzin
Rookie

Buzzin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good call.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 07:45 (Ref:756633)   #56
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buzzin - Welcome to 10/10'ths - enjoy posting!

I often wondered if we need a 'motor racing' commentator to do the job. Nowadays, with the resident expert sat alongside, the actual commentator doesn't need to know all the in's and out's of the sport - just understand the format.

The art of commentating is to convey what you see into words, whether that be football, horse racing or F1. I don't feel JA is too good at this, when he attempts to wander into the technical side as well, it does become painfull.

I have even heard him telling Martin what it's like to drive an F1 car......

Thankfully he seems to have cut out most of the 'when I had dinner with Michael' anecdotes and name dropping.

I would go for Jonathan Legard from radio 5, as a radio commentator is bound to be more skilled at conveying what they see, for an audience who can't see the action at all.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:01 (Ref:756648)   #57
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Who?? :confused:
Barry Nutley commentates on Bikes for BBC.

His voice sounds like his pre-race vocal exercises consist of chaining 40 Marlboro and gargling with gravel.

But he really gets enthusiastic about his racing.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:36 (Ref:756667)   #58
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I would go for Jonathan Legard from radio 5, as a radio commentator is bound to be more skilled at conveying what they see, for an audience who can't see the action at all.
JL is an excellent commentator - but the differences between Radio and TV commentary are quite different: you have to set the scene more on radio and can't not be commentating on something. Even if John could change his style to TV (which I have no doubt he could after a few races) - who could we have instead on 5Live when we're away from a TV?
I'll agree with The Monster, Shaven Haven is by far one of the funniest commentators out there, always up for a laugh, extremely knowledgable about motorsport but doesn't attempt to be technical (for those who've heard him talk about his racing 'career' you'll no doubt agree )
Old 20 Oct 2003, 20:56 (Ref:757465)   #59
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was it just me or was MB getting a bit ****ed with James Allen in the last 3 races?

I can't stand the guy. Like someone else said he was great in the pits but as fulltime commentator he is rubbish

I think the funniest thing he said was, why would a German call his son David? or some such yet he called his British kid Enzo! the guy is a jerk

who could replace him!?
Tony Jardine would be good. when they throw out James Allen they can throw the Ratman Rosenthal out with him.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 21:04 (Ref:757470)   #60
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suzi Perry.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 21:16 (Ref:757484)   #61
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by A. C. E. motors
Jeremy Clarkson would be great.
"montoya shouldn't be driving one of those - he should be driving...........ONE OF THESE"
Old 20 Oct 2003, 21:25 (Ref:757491)   #62
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBluesman1
was it just me or was MB getting a bit ****ed with James Allen in the last 3 races?
Yes I agree especially Japan - MB: thanks for that James several times - the tone suggesting thank god the season is over and I get a break from you. I remember one race and MB said that he was flying home with Flavio - I thought then not flying with James then Martin. At Silverstone JA: look at M Schumacher go .. he's about to overtake Firman surely he will get past him he haaass - silence then as we see Rubens helmet. O O O of course Michael is in 14th postion.