Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Feb 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2119228)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would this have worked?

I posted this in the F1 forum, but this seems to be a more appropreate forum for it. It is a concept sketch by Enrique Scalabroni from 1993 of a very radical F1 car. Could this have worked as a racecar, and could you have made it competitive?

Old 2 Feb 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2119246)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont the rules state the car must have FOUR wheels?
Old 2 Feb 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2119253)   #3
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Dont the rules state the car must have FOUR wheels?
It has four wheels.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2119258)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see three.

May be a look at the FIA Formula 1 technical rules will help you.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru...l_regulations/
Old 2 Feb 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2119273)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I think that wheels have to be on the same axle (not 1 front 1 rear ) like this design.
I remember this happening in the 60s with a guy called Owen Greenwood, who raced sidecars and decided that as long as it had 3 wheels it should be allowed. He had 2 in front and 1 behind using a Mini Cooper S engine and gearbox. It was successful and wasn't outlawed.
Jimmy you might have got it wrong, I would have thought that it was steered by the front wheel ?

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 2 Feb 2008 at 20:26.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Feb 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2119279)   #6
Speedy1
Rookie

United Nations
100km north of San Fransisco
Speedy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
worked?

in the context of the 93 regulations when the drawing was made ?
maybe
however there is a large differance between something that works and something that wins
being an open wheel series the covered rear wheel would be an obvious bug in the design
having the track width right at the center of mass might be useful
Old 2 Feb 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2119305)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dread to think what the porpoise effect would be like over undulations,front to rear ballance looks suspect. Perhaps a little less rear wing?
Old 2 Feb 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2119339)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I suppose we will never know as it will never be built. It could be tried on a computer on trick software, but the real thing may well be a bit different on the track. The six wheel Tyrrell was outlawed before everybody would have thought that was the way to go (I know Williams had one)
Incidentally thinking back about Owen Greenwood his outfit actually had 4 wheels. The two at the back were very close together and were classed as one. He obviously knew the grey area's. F1 manufacturers today have probably got several people working in a special "grey area" dept that we don't hear about.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Feb 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2119342)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
F1 manufacturers today have probably got several people working in a special "grey area" dept that we don't hear about.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2119349)   #10
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this looks like an F1 version of del boys 3 wheeler reliant robin.

Small front wheel...not much there for acurate turning...poss understeer.
Air exit...dirty air mid way thru the car would throw out the aero.
Hot air exit..excess heat on the tyres....

Well it would make a good see-saw

can i have one for my grandson
Old 3 Feb 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2119422)   #11
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
this looks like an F1 version of del boys 3 wheeler reliant robin.

Small front wheel...not much there for acurate turning...poss understeer.
Air exit...dirty air mid way thru the car would throw out the aero.
Hot air exit..excess heat on the tyres....

Well it would make a good see-saw

can i have one for my grandson
Well, the one front wheel wouldn't be used much for steering I'd imagine, the sketch says that the hidden back wheel (1-2-1 config...) will be used for that. Would be quite odd to drive you would think!
Old 3 Feb 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2119580)   #12
Locost47
Racer

England
Locost47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F1 manufacturers today have probably got several people working in a special "grey area" dept that we don't hear about.
I know of one team with a group that's referred to as the "Regulation Circumvention" department!

'Allegedly', etc.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2119587)   #13
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Well, the one front wheel wouldn't be used much for steering I'd imagine, the sketch says that the hidden back wheel (1-2-1 config...) will be used for that. Would be quite odd to drive you would think!
Maybe it's actually a funky new forklift design so?
Old 3 Feb 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2119602)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Love to how they would have done a sub 10 second wheel change!
Old 3 Feb 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2119618)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Looking at it again it looks like the sort of thing that Batman would have driven.
and the futuristic things we would have seen in the "Eagle"
Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2119870)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was "The Eagle" Gordon ??
Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2119891)   #17
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be intresting turning into a corner with a rear puncture with the front wheel off the ground, or sudden deflation at speed of the rear tire would turn the thing into a high flyer, air miles anyone??
Old 3 Feb 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2119961)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Love to how they would have done a sub 10 second wheel change!
They change wheels & tires in F1?

Guess some one did not think of that back in 1993.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2119968)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
What was "The Eagle" Gordon ??
Yes Terry "The Eagle" not many on here know what we are on about
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2119970)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sadly I do Mekon!
Old 3 Feb 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2120038)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes Terry "The Eagle" not many on here know what we are on about
Sadly, I remember the first edition, with a free self-assembly card model of the de Havilland Comet.

L Ashwell Wood was a major influence on my choice of engineering as a career.

As for the diamond wheel layout, there was a car built before WWI which I'm pretty sure had that format; it had two seats, in tandem but one facing left, one facing right. I can't at the moment remember what it was - research will continue! It was also proposed, but never, as far as I know, built, by Gabriel Voisin for his 'voiture de l'avenir' in 1923.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2120061)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
[quote=Dave Brand]Sadly, I remember the first edition, with a free self-assembly card model of the de Havilland Comet.

Did the cardboard model have the same large windows and suffer the same fatigue problem
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2120068)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Did the cardboard model have the same large windows and suffer the same fatigue problem
Mine never got that far!

I've found the diamond-configuration car: it was the Sunbeam-Mabley, built between 1901 & 1904. Allegedly skid-proof!
Old 4 Feb 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2120230)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ah, I see,it was a Comic from years ago,I was'nt really sure.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2120307)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
built between 1901 & 1904. Allegedly skid-proof!
Like my underpants