Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Aug 2002, 19:14 (Ref:363855)   #1
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ireland: Who will win the Leinster Trophy?

This might be a special for Irish racing fans!

I've not seen anything on the forum about Irelands premier racing class Formula Ireland, but the most prestigious race of the year is this Sunday and I was wondering what people thought about the outcome.

Its gotta be a three way race between Robbie Coleman, John O'Hara and Peter Walsh. I don't think anyone else will spring a surprise.

What do you think about this and about the series in general?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 22:35 (Ref:364013)   #2
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its gonna be last years winner and current Formula Europa champion. You know who!!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 22:36 (Ref:364014)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
*sigh* wake me up when it's all over.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 22:38 (Ref:364017)   #4
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
I haven't seen them race live yet but hopefully I'll be there on Sunday after Kirkistown on Sat.

Are they really that bad??? *sigh*?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 23:29 (Ref:364057)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Actually no - at Kirkistown they're FAST. But the couple of times I've seen them at Mondello, once they spread out it's game over.

Will probably get to be a LOT more fun when there are more of them on the grid.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 00:11 (Ref:364077)   #6
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

wow, you lads are being a bit harsh!?

I like the new series, but the racing is a bit tedious i suppose. There was good racing earlier on in the championship but it seems that one driver will dominate a particular meeting be it Coleman or O'Hara, and the others can't get close. Mark Smith is always good for a bit of panel beating afterwards though.

To be honest, only the Vees have really good racing at the moment. The Zetecs can excite now and then but not that much.

Next year, i hope there are a few more of the new cars, even though I don't think any of the current front runners will be back in the series.

For what its worth, if its dry, i think Coleman will have the edge, but any rain or dampness and O'Hara will retain the trophy.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 08:12 (Ref:364212)   #7
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Vee's, now theres a great class. Where else would you get that much excitement for €3000???
Old 23 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:364672)   #8
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

I agree, lets start a new thread promoting all that is good about Irish Formula Vee!
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:34 (Ref:365866)   #9
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
So who won the race in the end?

I just learned on Saturday that this was not the Leinster Trophy. That was presented to Yvan Muller when the touring cars were over. Although the Leinster wasn't much of a spectacle last year, I think its a shame to give the trophy for anything other than a single seater class. Its a big deviation from its history.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 12:14 (Ref:365933)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Um that's weird. I was there yesterday and the programme did say it was the Leinster Trophy......

I believe the result was Coleman, Walsh and O'Hara for the Leinster Trophy race.

Poor Mr. Sammin ended up in our gravel trap - he was a good sport about it though - must have been disappointing for him.

The Vees at Kirkistown on Saturday were absolutely superb - totally brilliant racing.

Shame about the nasty incident at Fishermans but I believe all drivers are ok so that's good news.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 26 Aug 2002 at 12:15.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 12:29 (Ref:365943)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Was the trophy presented? Because I didn't think they could present it twice in the one year?

There were some good scraps in both Vee races but the front of the A race seemed a bit lonely. One of Kirkistown's oldest lap records was also broken (although still to be ratified after an engine inspection).

I was speaking with Mark Dunleavy (rolled at Fishermans)afterwards and he was fine. I think two Vee's were wrote off between Friday testing and Saturdays racing, so it was hairy enough out there.

For a change, it seems that the Vee's were well(ish) behaved while the other classes seemed to go a bit mental.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 16:17 (Ref:366039)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I'm glad to hear he's ok - I was one of the attending marshals at the incident. We were pretty sure he was alright but it's nice to hear it first hand - tell him I say Hi! I was the one in orange...!

Oh and no idea if they physically presented the trophy or not - I never manage to attend the presentations, I'm always out on circuit.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 26 Aug 2002 at 16:24.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 18:41 (Ref:366131)   #13
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know how did Peter le Bas do?
Old 26 Aug 2002, 18:54 (Ref:366141)   #14
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

So what happened to John O'Hara? No win on Sunday and championship gone too.....
I too heard that Yvan Muller got the Leinster Trophy, but i didn't believe it at the time, is it true?

usually, i would be in the Vee race, but i had to work, so what was all the hassle at Fishermans?
That is Ken Elliott second lap record of the year (Mondello International also), surely that makes him the fastest Vee driver in the country.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 19:40 (Ref:366191)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Not a hassle Irv - racing incident - 3 vees off, one upside down.

Fortunately, everyone was ok but it was fairly hairy looking at the time!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 12:25 (Ref:366562)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Puntos had two cars roll out of fishermans (girl involved). The other Punto incident at the chicane that caused a red flag had a girl involved too. As far as I'm aware there was a girl involved in the Uno incident with the pit wall that caused a red flag (this while the race was under SC flag).

I know that there was hard battling going on in all classes but there seems to be a (sort of) common trend through these incidents. I remember when Michelle Graham was racing Vee's, Uno's and Punto's, she too was involved in several serious incidents. Denise Ryan had several incidents in Uno's. I'm not saying that the girls are the cause of the incidents but are the lads pushing them too far?? Answers please.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 15:59 (Ref:366714)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
The girl in the punto roll was Jenny Kellet - that ALSO happened at my post. I had a busy day - I also had 2 strykers that set the grass on fire.....! I'm glad to say that despite how nasty the roll looked, she's fine. I ran into her again in Mondello on Sunday as Gordon was out in his new Arbath.

The Kellet/McKinney incident was again a standard racing incident - similar to many I've seen in different racing classes - I find the incidents tend to be a bit more spectacular at Kirkistown but I think that's more because the circuit is faster and the drivers aren't as used to it as they are to Mondello.

I don't think the issue is with women drivers - there are no women at all in the vees (afaik) at the moment and they seem to get their fair share of incidents! I can think of at least 3 drivers that have had very nasty incidents in the last 12 months as I'm sure you can as well.

Unos and Puntos are FAMED for their incidents - it's just that people tend to remember them more when there are women drivers involved because there's so few of them (and most of them are called Jenny! )

Compared to last year, I think all the women drivers in the Fiat classes have become a great deal more competitive - that may also explain it. Last year, most of them were at the back of the grid the whole time, they weren't competing in the mid/front pack they way they are now. Further up the pack you go, greater your chance of getting involved in a racing incident.

The fact of the matter is that the Fiat racing classes are a rather accident prone class. I don't think driver gender has anything to do with it. Just my own personal opinion.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:17 (Ref:366779)   #18
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

I don't think it matters if they are girls or not.
There are no girls in Vee at the moment and only Cindy Evans in Zetec.....bad show all round.

anyway, if Denise Ryan needs somewhere to crash, she need only ask......
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:18 (Ref:366782)   #19
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

actually, i meant Jenny
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:04 (Ref:366956)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
As I understand it, all the Jennys are currently unavailable!

There's a couple of very eligible young lady karters though I believe....!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 21:20 (Ref:367009)   #21
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
I was really impressed with Jenny Daniels?? battling with Nigel/Simon Pratt. Lap after lap he had her on the grass at Colonial II and she never lifted once (that sosunds bad). The only bit that I wasn't impressed with was the tantrum when they came together at the chicane (sounds even worse). I didn't see the actual incident. Maybe she had a point. Wonder what the outcome was with COC??

Jenny McGreal was impressive in the Unos to finish 6th. Only 16 and not driving on the roads yet!!

And Jenny Ryan can crash with me anyday... Irv, we'll have to fight it out...
Old 27 Aug 2002, 21:27 (Ref:367014)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Yes that was Jenny Daniels. No comment on what happened afterwards mind you!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 23:42 (Ref:367075)   #23
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Now i remember, it is Jennifer Daniel that impressed me!I got mixed up with the other Jennys (what is it With them and Puntos?)

I signed on after her one day and swore i would remember her name.....ah well, didn't happen.

By the way, i have it on reasonable authority that Robbie Coleman DID get the Leinster Trophy presented to him on Sunday and not Yvan Muller.
Does anyone know what Coleman, O'hara, Walsh etc are planning next year? Stay in Ireland or what?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 17:22 (Ref:367590)   #24
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well tough luck if it's Ms. Daniel you're after Irv - I have it on good authority that she's already taken.....I believe she's a big fan of the RTs.......

Um I would have thought the 3 drivers you're referring to would do at least one more year in FIrelands given the amount of money that's been invested - have you heard different?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 19:04 (Ref:367687)   #25
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

I heard that O'Hara was giving up racing, that Coleman and Sammin are going to F3 in England and Walsh was moving on too.
It would be easy to confirm these i suppose.
Pity about Jenny Daniel and her RT thing. Is it just me or are they just bloated hot-rods.