Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Jul 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1969756)   #26
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and Japan can fit inside my state of North Carolina, so could ( no offence) the UK.

Maybe more on the scale of NASCAR racing, but it is still regional to Japan and Indonesia.

Have a link to their web site?? there might be some spectator info on it.
What is the population of North Carolina? Wikipedia says 8 Million. The population of Japan is 127 Million. Surface clearly isn't everything.

http://www.supergt.net/en/

Ah, and Sepang is in Malaysia, not Indonesia.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1970030)   #27
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and Japan can fit inside my state of North Carolina, so could ( no offence) the UK.

Maybe more on the scale of NASCAR racing, but it is still regional to Japan and Indonesia.

Have a link to their web site?? there might be some spectator info on it.
North Carolina - 139,509 KM sq.
Japan - 377,873 KM sq.
UK - 244,820 KM sq.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom
Old 22 Jul 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1970187)   #28
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6

Some times you guys take things WAYYYYY too literally.

What that phrase from the move Stripes? " Lighten up Frances "

has any one found the spectator demographics and numbers, and TV ratings of the JPGT races??
Old 22 Jul 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1970245)   #29
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey, sonny, maybe you should lighten up, mr "i drive racecars".

Super GT is the worlds strongest GT series, because it relies on only two classes, has long term manufacturer interest, professionals etc etc.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 17:54 (Ref:1970328)   #30
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well maybe we should take into account the thoughts of people in and related to the series!

Quote:

Jiro Kaji Bureau chief, GT Association

The Pokka 1000km is an event which can certainly promote our attitude of “Challenging the World,” and I believe
that it has a great impact in communicating this to other parts of the world.
Another aspect of the Pokka 1000km in terms of globalization is that it has a tradition of expanding its realm to
accept a variety of categories which in turn displays a potential to develop into a collaborative race event between
SUPER GT and the FIA-GT series, as a “double-title race,” by encouraging the participation of FIA-GT cars.
And from your special JLOC chums (read Lambo)

Quote:

Isao Noritake
Representative
Team JLOC

I believe that endurance races, in a way, are races that allow privateers to be equally competitive. When we were
competing in GT500, it was the Pokka 1000km where we managed to bring back our car in 3rd place, and at this
year’s Le Mans 24 hour race, we were able to do our racing despite the presence of unbeatable works teams. SUPER
GT has turned into what appears to be completely sprint race-based series, but with the Pokka 1000km being
part of the series, I think it will evolve into another form, a series that requires different elements of racing.
Indeed, it would cost teams more money if a 1000-km long race became a part of the series. But it is not like the
cost would increase many times over, and, besides, it will give us more chances as the race distance extends.
I had an opportunity to see the Spa 24 hour-race in the FIA-GT championship two weeks ago, and I think it’s not
an unrealistic idea to invite some of the cars in that championship to participate in the Pokka 1000km. Their cars
in Europe have no chance of beating the SUPER GT cars in a sprint race, but I think they would come for the
Pokka 1000km. It would be an exciting race if we had about 5 FIA-GT cars to compete with.

It would seem that the Factors of Super GT would like to see their cars being able to do some cross series racing and are already taking steps in that direction as well as bringing other GT cars to their series!

So once again we have been treated to several of your petulant xenophobic jingoist posts, as per usual, on the subject!

L.P.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1970387)   #31
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well maybe we should take into account the thoughts of people in and related to the series!

And from your special JLOC chums (read Lambo)

It would seem that the Factors of Super GT would like to see their cars being able to do some cross series racing and are already taking steps in that direction as well as bringing other GT cars to their series!

So once again we have been treated to several of your petulant xenophobic jingoist posts, as per usual, on the subject!

L.P.

Good to read Horndawg

Being IN the drivers seat ( current or past ) gives ppl different perscitives on the sports they love. Many things are EASY to talk about change but not always easy TOO change.

Renting some go karts for a Saturday to get some drive time helps undstand seat time and racing as well.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1970440)   #32
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
hey, sonny, maybe you should lighten up, mr "i drive racecars".
and your what 18-19 ? Think I have been racing, go-karts & snownobiles, ( 2 years) bicycles( 25+ years) and sports cars (12+ years) longer then you have been around. SO experience does count.

Quote:
Super GT is the worlds strongest GT series, because it relies on only two classes, has long term manufacturer interest, professionals etc etc.
I do admit they are impressive cars, but when I read their rules, look at the GT500 specs of their cars, caculate engine out put with there restrictors. Strickly on HP IMHO that places these cars between GT2 and GT1. Closer to GT2. The build or construction of the cars would put them closer to GT1.

Untill these JPGT cars come race with the FIA/ ACO races, we will never really know.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1970481)   #33
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
And can i just say, the ALMS is a big fat pile of s**t- how on earth has it got no entries?
Don't you mean the JLMC? If not I hope you're being sarcastic because if you're being serious I and many others would be concerned about your logic..
Old 22 Jul 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1970560)   #34
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
If any one thinks any particular race series does not have enough enteries, OK fine. GO Start your own team and get racing.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:00 (Ref:1970815)   #35
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I do admit they are impressive cars, but when I read their rules, look at the GT500 specs of their cars, caculate engine out put with there restrictors. Strickly on HP IMHO that places these cars between GT2 and GT1. Closer to GT2. The build or construction of the cars would put them closer to GT1.

Untill these JPGT cars come race with the FIA/ ACO races, we will never really know.
Or you could look at what I posted earlier last week and note that a well established team couldn't get a Maserati (with a quality driver line-up) within several seconds of GT500 pace - Those cars are a lot quicker than the GT1s.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1971038)   #36
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Or you could look at what I posted earlier last week and note that a well established team couldn't get a Maserati (with a quality driver line-up) within several seconds of GT500 pace - Those cars are a lot quicker than the GT1s.
Would that not also be called the 'home field advantage?" and was that in a sprint or enduro race? If it was a sprint race that is understandable.

GT1 cars by the rules and air restrictors are fast, but not as fast as they could be. Look at the LM trap speeds, but then again they were set up for endurance racing, not shorter sprint races.

Untill the GT500 cars come to race for several seasons in Europe or the US under ACO/FIA rules we will never really know.

On an other note looking at the ACO GT2 rules a large displacment V8 or V10 ( viper) is at a distinct disadvantage for HP. were a 3.5 to 5 liter engine has very good power to displacement allowances.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1971266)   #37
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I am aware (feel free to correct me :P), the Goh MC12 was actually a fair amount faster than the GT500 cars on the straights, but it was losing all its time in the corners, it simply didnt create as much grip and downforce to be competetive.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1971283)   #38
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotteh
As far as I am aware (feel free to correct me :P), the Goh MC12 was actually a fair amount faster than the GT500 cars on the straights, but it was losing all its time in the corners, it simply didnt create as much grip and downforce to be competetive.
Exactly. The aero on GT500 cars generates massive amounts of downforce, and along with the prototype-like suspension is more than enough to overhaul a more powerful GT1 car. The same goes for DTM - they are quicker on lap time than GT1s, even with over 100hp less.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1971331)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTM cars faster? At high downforce tracks yes, but at quick circuits like Monza or Silverstone? At Oscherslaben this year the FIA GT pole time was only 2 seconds off of the DTM pole and the DTM get signifcantly more track time over the weekend than the FIA GT cars do. Im not convinced either that the Corvette that set pole was running at its ultimate pace, once it set its qualifying time it sat out the remaining 15 minutes or so of qualifying untroubled.

At circuits like Monza and Silverstone I think the FIA GT cars would be quicker than the DTM machinery, DTM cars have 480-500bhp depending on how old the car is, GT1 cars on the other hand have 600-650bhp, it really is that simple. Comparing a GT1 car to a GT500 car though I have to agree, the GT500 cars would be quicker at pretty much any circuit, the only place a GT1 car might be faster is either on a oval or in a straight line.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1971336)   #40
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
High downforce slows cars down on the straight, but gives them grip in the corners. SO the need for multipl wing and spoiler configurations based on the circuit
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1971348)   #41
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have a couple of Super GT threads already:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97840

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98382

We've even had a GT1 vs. DTM thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=GT1+DTM

And we've even had it all rolled up in one thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=DTM+Super+GT

Let's keep it on topic folks. A tough task it would seem these days.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1971548)   #42
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I said previously, I don't think Super GT and the JLMC are direct competitors.

Super GT is attracting low end sportscar's and saloon/coupe's (Lexus, 350Z)to the GT500 class, it's increasingly performance balanced to a rediculous degree to keep manufactuers happy, it's the high tech Japanease equivalent of NASCAR.

If anything the JLMC prototype ranks would be comeptitor's with Formula Nippon.

I don't see why for example Nissan wouldn't run it's 350Z's in Super GT and any potential Le Mans contender in the JLMC.

Super GT attract's crowds of 30k-40k per event, but in the 80's Group A touring car's AND Group C sportscar both attracted similar crowds, so there's room for two large series, so long as they are suitably different.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1971746)   #43
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Super GT attract's crowds of 30k-40k per event, but in the 80's Group A touring car's AND Group C sportscar both attracted similar crowds, so there's room for two large series, so long as they are suitably different.
In that case, maybe the JLMC needs some kind of 'standout' race, like a 10 or 12-hour event that runs into the night? Like a Japanese version of Sebring, or something along similar lines. Something slightly different that will draw in the crowds, firstly out of curiosity more than anything, but also to point the series in a direction SuperGT has so far decided to avoid?

Do any SuperGT races run into the night? and what kind of race lengths does the championship feature?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1971913)   #44
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
300Kilometer races usualy, except for the Pokka 1000k at Suzuka.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1975738)   #45
ohazamiizugahar
Rookie

Japan
Kumagaya
ohazamiizugahar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 3 at Fuji-SW is 500km race.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2034358)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will AIM and Dome venture into their home series and help promote the future of it? One can only hope I guess.

L.P.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2034444)   #47
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we will also see Acura and Mazda LMP2 cars. I think that Acura was recently launched in Japan, so right now they have no racing presence. Mazda also doesn't have much seeing as they don't compete in GT500 in Super GT.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 00:39 (Ref:2034504)   #48
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way I can see JLMC really taking off is if a Japanese manufacturer launches an effort in it...

Super GT has an enormous fan base in Japan so it will be hard to take it on.

If Super GT cars were more FIA/ACO compliant, then it wouldn't be such a big problem with getting a good GT field. LMPs are really where the problem is. LMP2 in the JLMC has been old converted single seaters, which is more akin to the IMSA lites or whatever they're called.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:22 (Ref:2035065)   #49
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Super GT is attracting low end sportscar's and saloon/coupe's (Lexus, 350Z)to the GT500 class, it's increasingly performance balanced to a ridiculous degree to keep manufactures happy, it's the high tech Japanese equivalent of NASCAR.
That is not good.

Quote:
Super GT attracts crowds of 30k-40k per event, but in the 80's Group A touring car's AND Group C sportscar both attracted similar crowds, so there's room for two large series, so long as they are suitably different.
That is also good to hear.

It would be great to see some Japanese GT models in ALMS and LMS GT2
Old 8 Oct 2007, 17:47 (Ref:2035130)   #50
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
SuperGT attracting only 30k-40k specators?