Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:18 (Ref:951387)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you wear the full kit?

I was at Mallory today - glorious weather wasn't it?

Prior to one of the races (can't remember which one) I wandered into the Assembly Area to help checking belts, helmets and overalls done up, pins out of extinguishers, etc., etc. I noticed one young man zipping up his 3 layer Nomex overalls over a bare chest. Now I know Nomex is cosy in the winter, which is one reason why I have a full set of Nomex undies (the other reason is because in the event of a fire in the pit lane I'm relatively safe if I have to put it out).

The Blue Book (Section Q.9 relating to overalls) states that "Competitors are also strongly advised to wear Flame Resistant gloves, socks, balaclavas and underwear"

So why don't you? It's your skin don't you think you should give it the best protection you can?

I did speak to the young man concerned - it was his first race and he hadn't considered Nomex (or even Proban) underneath his overalls. He thought that the 3 layers would give him enough protection. I hope he didn't think I was having a go at him - I wasn't; I was just expressing my concerns for his wellbeing. If any of you hear of a young man complaining about a dragon roaring at him, please will you tell him that I am paranoid about safety?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:02 (Ref:951435)   #2
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh. I know what you mean, I always wear the full undergarments too, and haven't even compromised with a short sleeved nomex shirt for the summer.

Sometimes, though, it does get _very_ hot.

I've actually seen more females being guily of this than blokes though - and, yes, they were drivers, not pit girls before anyone pipes up
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:06 (Ref:951439)   #3
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Oh, and _NO_ they weren't topless, but wearing just sports bra or t-shirts etc...
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:09 (Ref:951442)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I wear a nomex vest and have nomex socks and pants but don't wear these as they are too big for me and are uncomfortable.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:18 (Ref:951452)   #5
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would always wear a long sleeved nomex top under my overalls and also nomex socks. I didn't wear nomex bottoms except in the winter, dunno why i just never did. Did on a couple of occasions but nothing consistant.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:23 (Ref:951459)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Richy_Rich
Oh, and _NO_ they weren't topless, but wearing just sports bra or t-shirts etc...
If it was a hot day and the t-shirts were cotton I wouldn't have a problem. I'm just curious as to why drivers don't always do what's recommended.

Another of my gripes is chewing gum. I know why you do it but have you considered what would happen if it got stuck in your throat?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:27 (Ref:951462)   #7
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chewing gum should be a big no no. No need for it.

I instruct at a few racing schools and if we get customer in the car with chewing gum we are not allowed to go anywhere until they get rid of it.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:41 (Ref:951476)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Roberts
Chewing gum should be a big no no. No need for it.

I instruct at a few racing schools and if we get customer in the car with chewing gum we are not allowed to go anywhere until they get rid of it.
Excellent! What about jewellery? I have had several conversations with Shane Lynch in the past about his facial piercings. I think he now removes his ear rings but couldn't swear to it.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 21:58 (Ref:951498)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some of the NW FF1600 drivers didn't have anything on underneath (well, the top half) I noticed...
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:48 (Ref:951935)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have a three layer FiA suit and full undies, but skipped the undies yesterday for our race, I qualified in both but it was so hot (in a tin top) I elected not to wear them in the race, it was still bl00dy hot in the car but I was a lot more comfortable.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 09:19 (Ref:951950)   #11
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wear a long or short sleeved Nomex top along with socks; I dumped the longjohns a few years ago 'cos they are too hot/uncomfortable. (I do wear them at Spa as (a) 'round the back its very cold (b) if I have an accident its probably going to be a biggy...).

I don't like balaclavas, so usually don't wear it for non-championship races (our champs regs demand them, along with arm restraints - sometimes don't wear these for non-champ races as being able to point a faster car by may well prevent an accident - passive vs. active safety...).

I think there's an element of posing 'round the paddock with your race suit tied down and bare chest/bikini top. (Personnally, its more how long can I suck my chest in whilst changing into my Nomex top...!).

A bit of a question; a bit of a prejudice - is fire a big problem any more? I would certainly see hitting an immovable object at high speed more of an issue (therefore considering belts, helmets, etc as a priority, rather than fireproofs).

Last edited by graeme; 26 Apr 2004 at 09:19.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 09:57 (Ref:951990)   #12
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't wear a balaclava for the reason that I have to wear glasses and if i wear a balaclava the visor mists up very badly, whereas without it and using a foggy mask the glasses stay clear.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:02 (Ref:952118)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme

I think there's an element of posing 'round the paddock with your race suit tied down and bare chest/bikini top. (Personnally, its more how long can I suck my chest in whilst changing into my Nomex top...!).
I couldnt agree more . . .I cant hold my breath long enough to get changed !
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:06 (Ref:952126)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was at Mallory yesterday. Full nomex 3 layers plus the underwear and balaclava. Never considered racing without them.

Always remove the watch too.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:12 (Ref:952140)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not as if you're going to tell the time when you're driving round - and you weren't that slow that you needed a calendar to time your laps!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:38 (Ref:952172)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I wouldnt go out without a balaclava, I have to say once your on the move its fine, but hanging around gets very hot . . .especially when some loon thinks he can win at the hairpin and causes a red flag so your sitting on the grid with the engine running while they pick his wheels out of the tyre barrier !
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:33 (Ref:952242)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am with Peter on this, as Zeferally says once you are on the move you are fine. Apart from anything else without any top your racesuit would soon become very unpleasant! Everything I race is front engined so I want maximum protection against steam and fire
Old 26 Apr 2004, 14:46 (Ref:952328)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not even 3 layer Nomex - Proban overalls as they are light, I wear a fire proof helmet and balaclava.. gloves and boots - no fire proof underwear but usually jeants and t shirt underneath.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 14:47 (Ref:952329)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
and you weren't that slow that you needed a calendar to time your laps!
Could've fooled me!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:23 (Ref:952522)   #20
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I was at Mallory yesterday. Full nomex 3 layers plus the underwear and balaclava. Never considered racing without them.

Always remove the watch too.
And I ended up draped in his underwear when Dave and I visited him yesterday.

Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:20 (Ref:952638)   #21
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France

Oh yes, take my watch off as well. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I prefer to think that I have a healthy fear of fire. Besides, my girlfriend (now wife) bought me all the gear when I first started and it'd be a shame not to wear it

[edit due to my appauling grammar *tsk*]

Last edited by Richy_Rich; 26 Apr 2004 at 19:21.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:31 (Ref:952657)   #22
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila,

I think you should start asking to inspect the drivers to make sure they are wearing the appropriate underwear.

Do it for a couple of meetings and the sales of underwear will go through the roof!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:38 (Ref:952667)   #23
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of a question; a bit of a prejudice - is fire a big problem any more? I would certainly see hitting an immovable object at high speed more of an issue (therefore considering belts, helmets, etc as a priority, rather than fireproofs). [/B][/QUOTE]

If you have flammable liquids or materials in your car then yes there could be a problem with fire.

You all may say that it is too hot to sit around on the grid in full kit, waiting for the cause of the stoppage to be cleared, but what if the cause of the stoppage is you! ruptured fuel tank and you need to be removed from your car by the rescue crew. Probably a need for new underwear afterwards anyway.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 03:32 (Ref:953069)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are required to wear multi layer suits but underwear is an option. I always wear Nomex long johns under my suit, it's very hot but I'm allergic to wool so it's more comfortable than having nothing under the suit.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:17 (Ref:953238)   #25
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
clothing

I compete in hillclimbs.
I use a Proban suit as they are a lot cooler.
I wear a Nomex balaclava as it keeps my ears flat and helps to get helmet easily on and off!
High Sparco racing boots,Nomex long gloves,pure cotton full sleeve shirt and Nomex or cotton socks,I prefer cotton as I find the Nomex socks slip down when walking around paddock.
I think as long as the undergarments are not of synthetic material it's OK.
Many don't wear any vest but as someone said the suit would soon get pretty grim inside,and I think it's best not to wash the suits too often,probably 3-4 times a year?
Lister