Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2671527)   #626
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin90
I think so as top speed was an issue at le mans last year, but they've been consistently quicker than the 2010 spec peugeot (which was running low down-force as well) in every single session this weekend.
Except in qualifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin90
Sure this isn't entirely comparable because the oreca car isn't a works peugeot, but it is a 2010-spec car.
2010 spec gets thrown around alot, but I don't think these Peugeots have been developed far beyond the 2009 cars besides maybe some engine mapping to match the new restrictors. The body looks identical.

I think Peugeot wasn't expecting Audi to go all out like they did and revamp the R15. What Audi has done is comparable to how hard Peugeot worked in the offseason prior to Le Mans '08.

When Peugeot announced they were coming back to Le Mans in '10 I was surprised. I thought for sure they would continue to focus on the '11 car, but it seems in the spirit of competition/learning/testing or whatever reason they are going to go ahead and run the old 908s vs the new R15. And people knock on Peugeot all the time for being scared to race Audi. They could have just passed on Le Mans this year

Peugeot can still win Le Man even with a slight speed disadvantage because of it's reliability.

Anyways Peugeot is really focused on the '11 car, according to many sources I've read development on the 908 has been stopped for some time now, so this may indeed be Audi's year. We'll get a better picture at Spa.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2671537)   #627
Martin90
Racer

Netherlands
Martin90 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMartin90 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Except in qualifying
I was talking about top speed rather than time

other than that, I agree on what you said. We mustn't forget that the R15 was originally built for the 2009 regulations so the R15 had to be adjusted once for the 2010 regulations whereas the peugeot has gone through that process a bit more often since that car is older. The R15+ is almost a new car considering the amount of updates
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2671547)   #628
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well I was out yesterday - so I watched the recorded Eurosport coverage late last night and it seemed like a pretty boring race.

Today I have been listening to the podcast from RLM and you would have thought it was a different race. Hindy and the RLM team packs so much information into their commentary and do actually commentate on the race - whereas the Eurosport team sound like they are discussing a 6 day cricket test - they don't appear to be watching what is happening at all - just chatting amongst themselves with the occasional snippet of information.

The ACO really needs to sort out the coverage as no casual observer tuning into Eurosport will find it remotely interesting due to the way it is being presented - They should get the RLM team to produce the TV coverage and offer it to an interested channel.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2671556)   #629
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The ACO really needs to sort out the coverage as no casual observer tuning into Eurosport will find it remotely interesting due to the way it is being presented - They should get the RLM team to produce the TV coverage and offer it to an interested channel.
Hindy said during the coverage yesterday that they offered there commentary free of charge to any channel wanting to give proper live TV coverage of the series, but no one took them up on the offer.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2671639)   #630
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure that Aston Martin is sandbagging per se; I just think they've decided to run to a pace they know they can maintain, and that should keep the car in reliable territory. Sebring showed that the Peugeots could run just fast enough, and they wouldn't have to worry about any of the petrol cars. Pirro was running laps faster than his qualifying time in the Drayson Lola, but it was clear the 908s could quite comfortably click off 1:45s without straining anything, while that sort of pace was all the Lola Judd had in it.

And as previously mentioned, the diesels get to their terminal velocity decidedly quicker than the petrol cars can. The most torque I can recall any of the LMP1/900 petrol cars having is ~550ft-lbs, with 440-500ft-lbs being a more normal range. And the most horsepower I can recall any of them being quoted as having was ~680hp, with 590-650hp as a more normal range. In comparison, the Audi R10/R15 have been listed as having 650-700hp and 774-811ft-lbs of torque, while the Peugeot 908 was quoted at 700-750hp and 885ft-lbs of torque. So, you can begin to see that even if a petrol car can have a similar top-end, the diesel has a clear advantage in acceleration.

Now, in the ALMS, there are restrictor breaks for older cars and engines, which is why the Lola AERs of Autocon and Intersport get such high top-end speeds; the restrictor breaks mean they get to run with ~800hp, but the torque figures still are well in arrears of the diesels, and those 2006 chasses are definitely inferior in the corners. Therefore, those old Lolas really only have a shot against the newer machines on tracks that have longer straights: Road Atlanta, Road America, Mosport, Miller (also due to having a turbo at high altitude), and possibly Sebring.

Finally, given that the 908 and R10/R15 are factory-built, developed, and run, I rather doubt the restrictor size cuts have hurt them that much since 2008. In fact, the R15 was capable of turning marginally faster laps at Le Mans in 2009 than the R10 was able to turn there in 2008.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2671671)   #631
ianroke
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
ianroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Hindy said during the coverage yesterday that they offered there commentary free of charge to any channel wanting to give proper live TV coverage of the series, but no one took them up on the offer.
It used to be great to watch the full race on Eurosport player with the RLM coverage on top but they don't even do that any more.

Shame. I don't know what they are playing at.

I don't think the channels didn't want to take Hindy's offer up I think they didn't want to pay the fees for the video which I bet was quite considerable.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2671696)   #632
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
you mean like ferrari did last two le mans, and last who knows how many endurance 10+ races
No sense pointing these things out now. Porsche won in a big way and Dario911, Badger and the other Porsche fans should crow all they want. Porsche's strategy was excellent and their reliability was solid for the most part. Ferraris were pretty fast but they seemed to spend a great deal of time in the pits to say the least.

DK
Old 13 Apr 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2672045)   #633
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...t-8-Hours.html
Old 13 Apr 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2672058)   #634
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
you mean like ferrari did last two le mans, and last who knows how many endurance 10+ races
I think we've got another dedicated thread for those keen to indulge in this particular discussion ad infinitum........
Old 13 Apr 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2672064)   #635
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post

wow, I was about to post that

Great weekend, Audi=McNish has turned into the clear favourite for the 24 hours.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2672125)   #636
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
wow, I was about to post that

Great weekend, Audi=McNish has turned into the clear favourite for the 24 hours.
What,because they won this hardly-any-serious-opposition race?
If they walk away with the spoils on May 9th,then they'll be 'clear' favourites.

Last year it was McNish who was the only one to be able to sort of keep up the pace of the Pugs at Le Mans,the rest of the Audi crew simply weren't quick enough in the R15.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2672242)   #637
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To quote a Hindhaugh phrase, I don't think any poultry should be adjudicated upon just yet.......
Old 13 Apr 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2672308)   #638
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A good result for the Audi but was it ever going to be any more than a long test of a new car, once they have some serious competitors we shall see if it has the reliability needed.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2672311)   #639
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
What,because they won this hardly-any-serious-opposition race?
If they walk away with the spoils on May 9th,then they'll be 'clear' favourites.

Last year it was McNish who was the only one to be able to sort of keep up the pace of the Pugs at Le Mans,the rest of the Audi crew simply weren't quick enough in the R15.
The way the Audi managed to keep the low laptimes while not being pushed was impressive, also Dindo managed those times. The Pug lost nine laps during the first pit stop and still could not take a single one back, although they were pushing all the way. . And it was Sarazin that was left behind by McNish before the first dramatic pitstop for the Pug and he is not the slowest works driver. Kristensen was there but he was still recovering from a badminton incurred injury, (while playing with his son who was about to beat him).

But we will see at Spa, but having seen the Audi running like a clockwork, they are the favourite for me to win the race. (Hindhaugh must have seen a different race)
Old 14 Apr 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2672421)   #640
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Some beautiful photography there...
Old 14 Apr 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2672440)   #641
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat View Post
Some beautiful photography there...
Especially the historic racing.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 06:42 (Ref:2672471)   #642
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Especially the historic racing.
just put in some more shots here

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...70#post2672470
Old 14 Apr 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2672473)   #643
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Keep up the great work!
Old 14 Apr 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2672476)   #644
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Keep up the great work!
We will do all CER races this year.....as well as something more.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2673157)   #645
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Olivier Pla is very unhappy with the new Zytek aero kit; he says he did not recognize the car because it made it unstable and harder to drive instantly. And they lapped more than half a second slower than they could in March with the old kit. They give up a full second compared to the Strakka HPD on the Mistral straight. (http://www.endurance-series.com/la-c...e-%C2%BB/8706/)
Old 16 Apr 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2673667)   #646
boesel
Rookie

boesel has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi all, here you can find a report and more that 150 photos about the race:
http://www.connectingrod.it/LeMansSe...ellet_eng.html
Old 17 Apr 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2674141)   #647
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boesel View Post
Hi all, here you can find a report and more that 150 photos about the race:
http://www.connectingrod.it/LeMansSe...ellet_eng.html
looks great,thank u for sharing
Old 19 Apr 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2675459)   #648
cjent
Rookie

United States
FL & NC, USA
cjent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrific, boesel!
Old 19 Apr 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2675815)   #649
boesel
Rookie

boesel has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
don't you like cjent?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2676022)   #650
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nice pics boesel! Love that Spyker livery!