Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 26 Dec 2002, 19:58 (Ref:457757)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help from the Experts Please!

Ok, I have bowed down under pressure and decided to give GPL another go! I've ordered it from play.com and it should be here in a couple of days. I would be most appreciative if you vetrens could post links to the various files I'm going to neeed with a little explanation of what they do. Thanks very much...
Old 26 Dec 2002, 20:06 (Ref:457764)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not that i consider myself an expert...

But anyway, here's some links.

http://gplea.racesimcentral.com/
The most gorgeous cars and some tracks.

http://magnust.d2g.com/
A database with a load of tracks.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 26 Dec 2002 at 20:11.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:01 (Ref:457789)   #3
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go to www.papy.com for the update patches
Old 27 Dec 2002, 13:16 (Ref:458157)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Far be it from me to recommend another forum, but you will find all the answers to every question ever asked at:-

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/foru...?s=&forumid=36

and

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~hg/forums/index.php?
Old 27 Dec 2002, 14:02 (Ref:458182)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Would you guys recommend any particular car artists / tracks to download. Also how well is it likely to run with all the new goodies on this system:
1.7 GB Processer
64mb Geforce 4 mx 400 Graphics Card
Soundblaster live something sound card (?)
Old 27 Dec 2002, 14:12 (Ref:458192)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Your spec looks pretty good to me, Damon. What OS are you running?

Download the cars from GPLEA - with your spec you should be able ti run all the eye-candy without too much loss of FPS (should be a cnstant 36 fps, particularly if you plan to race online - which you should!). You mkght want to replace the Brabham with Bruce Johnson's new baby (see link elsewhere) and I use a Lotus from someone called Micha and Cooper from Volker someone.... Sorry to be vague. I'll give you more precise URLs if you want them later.

As for tracks, I wouldn't bother downloading any until you feel a bit confident with the 11 Papy tracks. Although I would recommend Alan Goss's two great tracks, Thornham and the brand new Beal Valley.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 14:57 (Ref:458219)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....or the Sachsenring!!! Best track in the game by MIIIIIIIIIIIILES.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 15:22 (Ref:458233)   #8
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Download the Solitude track and load the setup for everycar into every track. This will give you a good basic setup to use everywhere and in anything.

Also only really practice Watkins GLen and Monza till you are getting laps of 1.06.50s or under and under 1.30.50s or so consistantly. Then start to go to other tracks. Only really use the Lotus, Eagle and Cooper to start with as the others require more confidence to get right.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 16:24 (Ref:458258)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson
Only really use the Lotus, Eagle and Cooper to start with as the others require more confidence to get right.

Personally, I would recommend Cooper (Coventry), Ferrari and Eagle in that order. If you're going to run with the Lotus, you need to remember that it takes a good couple of laps at Monza or the Glen to warm up. The handling can be quite difficult until then. I always found the Ferrari to be very consistent. But don't forget the Cooper just because it is seen as one of the "unfashionable" cars - its a nice little motor and does go pretty quickly.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 17:13 (Ref:458273)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It's still 'processing' at the moment over at play.com so it'll still be a few days. Specific url's would be great if available Aysedasi. BTW, I'm running Win 2000 NT.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 17:54 (Ref:458296)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson
go to www.papy.com for the update patches
just had a look on here and there are loads of patches. Do I need all of them?
Old 27 Dec 2002, 18:53 (Ref:458321)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It depends what version of the game you get Damon. If its the last release, when you install it, you will find it has the 1.2.0.1 patch on the CD for you to upgrade it. If not, you can get this patch from the Papy site. With the speed of your CPU, you will need to install the CPU speedfic patch as well - again, it's on the latest CDRom or you can get it from Papy. Patch-wise, that's really all you need.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 19:12 (Ref:458341)   #13
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just ordered GPL from play.com as well.

don't know how long it will take to get here.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 19:58 (Ref:458385)   #14
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

You need the Direct3D patch as well, it is very important to improve the resolution of the game.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 21:09 (Ref:458416)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Unles you want to use OpenGL. I downloaded the Wiherr patch from RSC and GPL plays like a dream. I dn't know what the concensus is on this, but most of those I know who run OpenGL are very satisfied with the results. Probably best to use D3D first Damon and see how you get on.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 11:24 (Ref:459430)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It's on the way, should be here by wednesday!
Old 29 Dec 2002, 11:37 (Ref:459438)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just be patient with the game when you get it Damon. You said you'd played it before, but I don't know how far you got with it. GPL can be an intensely frustrating experience for newbies used to jumping in a modern F1 car on their pc or PS and being quick "straight out of the box", as they say. GPL is very different, as you probably remember. But when it starts coming good, there isn't another game as rewarding to the sim driver as GPL. And its not just the driving, it the ability to almost constantly update the game with the new add-ons - its no overestimation to say there's something new out virtually every week. Enjoy
Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:35 (Ref:459472)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Just started downloading stuff in anticipation (sad or what!) and in the cars section from the link above there are 2 Ferraris, the 36v and the 48v. Which one do I want?

Last edited by Damon; 29 Dec 2002 at 12:35.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:33 (Ref:459538)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure, they are about the same i think.
Maybe the 48v is a little bit faster than the 36v

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Dec 2002 at 14:34.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:41 (Ref:459540)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

Too bad i can't use play.com since i don't have a creditcard.

Found 4 copies at Ebay.com but they wouldn't ship outside the US...
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:50 (Ref:459545)   #21
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Where can I get some good pre-made setups as well? I think my frustration with GPL first time round is partly down to the fact that I find pain stakeingly fiddling with set ups very boring.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:58 (Ref:459548)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

http://www.racesimcentral.com/links/ultimate.shtml

It's there under 'Replays/Setups'.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 15:01 (Ref:459549)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Just started downloading stuff in anticipation (sad or what!) and in the cars section from the link above there are 2 Ferraris, the 36v and the 48v. Which one do I want?
It won't make any difference at all, Damon, which one you choose - the physics/performance is set in the game, not by the car skin you choose. I use the GPLEA 48 valve, as it happens.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 15:02 (Ref:459550)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Where can I get some good pre-made setups as well? I think my frustration with GPL first time round is partly down to the fact that I find pain stakeingly fiddling with set ups very boring.
Tony would tell you to use the Solitude setup everywhere when you first start.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 15:17 (Ref:459552)   #25
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Yes the solitude setups are the better ones to run with as they are a huge improvement over the standard games. You get the track form http://gplea.racesimcentral.com/ . Just load the setup into each car and then just play with the gearing.

Look at http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...7&pagenumber=1 for some info on setting up the cars a bit more and driving some of the tracks.