Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Mar 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2845266)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW/RLR Question

If Rahal is running their BMWs entered as BMW Motorsport for Sebring, does that mean Rahal Letterman Racing won't get points for Sebring in terms of the ALMS Championship?

If that's the case, is BMW essentially screwing Rahal out of any chance of winning the teams championship, or will they still get points for RLR despite being entered as BMW Motorsport?
Old 14 Mar 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2845275)   #2
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They are getting the points. I cant explain why but its been said that they will get the team points.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2845283)   #3
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
To add its the same reason why the BMWs are running the 56 and (57 or 55) numbers instead of the season long 90 and 92 that they had last year. All the GT2 cars got their numbers changed just for this round. But in the chanpionship tables after the round it will say the 90 and 92 BMWs
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2845547)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good! Common sense prevails in a way.

Chris
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2845550)   #5
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Good! Common sense prevails in a way.

Chris
I disagree, i dont see why RLR #90 and #92 should score ALMS Championship points when they are not even officially running Sebring.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2845604)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
I disagree, i dont see why RLR #90 and #92 should score ALMS Championship points when they are not even officially running Sebring.
I agree, that point seems logical. But, since this race is both an ilmc and alms event special dispensation has been given to allow teams/manufacturers to have the results for both. Do I like it, no, but the teams getting the points seem fine with it and so do the series.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2845812)   #7
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree, that point seems logical. But, since this race is both an ilmc and alms event special dispensation has been given to allow teams/manufacturers to have the results for both. Do I like it, no, but the teams getting the points seem fine with it and so do the series.
I dont understand why you guys are upset about this. The only reason i can think of is because you guys want the manfacturers to put more cars on the grid under their name. The problem with this is that Sebring only holds 60 contestants. If all manufacturers had to run extra cars obviously they could not all get entries. therefore the dispensation makes sense now.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2845869)   #8
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You're just worried they will beat the Lizards again, like last year.

DK
Old 14 Mar 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2845871)   #9
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But are Schnitzer guys over in Sebring, or is it the same team / crew?
Old 14 Mar 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2845879)   #10
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree, that point seems logical. But, since this race is both an ilmc and alms event special dispensation
Why should they?

The way i see it if RLR want to score points then they need to actually race as RLR.

If BMW want to score ILMC Points as BMW Motorsport then they should send Schnitzer over to run as BMW Motorpsort as they always do.

Hell why did AF Corse bother coming over, Risi could have just ran as AF Corse and scored points for AF Corse in the ILMC and Risi in the ALMS championship....
Old 14 Mar 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2845886)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why should they?

The way i see it if RLR want to score points then they need to actually race as RLR.

If BMW want to score ILMC Points as BMW Motorsport then they should send Schnitzer over to run as BMW Motorpsort as they always do.

Hell why did AF Corse bother coming over, Risi could have just ran as AF Corse and scored points for AF Corse in the ILMC and Risi in the ALMS championship....
I see your point, and to an extent I agree with you. But I don't want an American team victimized by the ILMC piggybacking on American events, it should make American events stronger, the whole effort should make ACO racing stronger. It is a stupid situation, and unfortunate that BMW didn't just send Schnitzer to the race (do they have enough competitive drivers to fill four cars with three factory shoes?)

Chris
Old 15 Mar 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2845903)   #12
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no idea why AF Corse would bother to come over. Nor do I know why Proton would enter when Flying Lizard is available to carry the Porsche flag.

Those are the right questions.

There's really no point in duplicate efforts. Of course the Porschephiles, hating everything that BMW does, would dig up this silly question. It's an ALMS race AND an ILMC race. The rules are written to specifically allow local - and different teams - to score points for the manufacturer while contending their regional championships. There is no team championship for that very reason.

Unless you want to strip Flying Lizard of its points at Petit for ALMS last season. Who would you like to give that driver's championship to?

Can you think of another way to gut the ALMS and LMS. They are already cannibalized by the ILMC...why not just complete the job and push manufacturers like BMW into ILMC-only entries?
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2846942)   #13
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
There is no team championship for that very reason.
There is a teams Championship in the ILMC though, that is why RLR are running as BMW Motorsport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Unless you want to strip Flying Lizard of its points at Petit for ALMS last season. Who would you like to give that driver's championship to?
Completely different scenario, Flying Lizard were scoring ILMC points for the Manufacturer not Porsche Motorsport as a team in a Teams Championship.

RLR are running as BMW Motorsport to score ILMC points for BMW as a manufacturer and BMW Motorsport as a team and i think it is wrong that they should still score ALMS championship points for cars that are not even running the same numbers let alone team.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2846966)   #14
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
There is a teams Championship in the ILMC though, that is why RLR are running as BMW Motorsport.

Completely different scenario, Flying Lizard were scoring ILMC points for the Manufacturer not Porsche Motorsport as a team in a Teams Championship.

RLR are running as BMW Motorsport to score ILMC points for BMW as a manufacturer and BMW Motorsport as a team and i think it is wrong that they should still score ALMS championship points for cars that are not even running the same numbers let alone team.
You dont understand do you. If every manufacturer had to do this they coudlnt fit all the cars on the Grid. suppose BMW, porsche, Ferrari, jaguar and aston martin all entered 2 cars each under the Manufacturer banner( as in Porsche Motorsport, BMW Motorsport, Ferrari Motorsport, Jaguar Motorsport, Aston Martin Motorsport.)

Under your flawed strategy that would bring 10 extra GT2 cars. ther are already 56 cars on the entry List. 10 extra cars would mean they needed to fit 66 cars so obviously everyone cant get an entry. the reason the ACO and ALMS allow this is to allow diversity in the field. If BMW motorsport entered two extra cars as schnitzer maybe another entrant would get denied.( Why would that happen when you can just let BMW use the RLL team)
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2846969)   #15
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
That is the second time i have stated this simple fact. It proves that you are not reading other peoples post!. please read other peoples post first before belaboring over a concluded topic.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2846977)   #16
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
suppose BMW, porsche, Ferrari, jaguar and aston martin all entered 2 cars each under the Manufacturer banner( as in Porsche Motorsport, BMW Motorsport, Ferrari Motorsport, Jaguar Motorsport, Aston Martin Motorsport.)
Only 2 of those "Teams" exists and only 1 is interested in the ILMC Teams Championship, Porsche Motorsport are clearly not interested in compeating in the ILMC Teams Championship, and none of the other GT Manufactures run a team out of the factory.

BMW Motorsport and Rahal Letterman Racing are 2 completely different teams and one should not score points for the other end of.

And this is not about BMW Motorsport or the ILMC, this about RLR and the ALMS Teams Championship and the regulations clearly state that in order to score points in the teams championship you have to be a classified finisher which RLR #90 and #92 clearly wont be because they are not even competing!

Last edited by NightStalk3r; 16 Mar 2011 at 18:21.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2847039)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
According to the folks down at Flying Lizard, it seems that the BMWs might be running #55 and #56 for the full ALMS season. Paddock talk perhaps, but... paddock sources are probably the most trustworthy. (Q&A session on their FB page right now, someone asked them about their opinion on this very subject)
Old 16 Mar 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2847166)   #18
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Only 2 of those "Teams" exists and only 1 is interested in the ILMC Teams Championship, Porsche Motorsport are clearly not interested in compeating in the ILMC Teams Championship, and none of the other GT Manufactures run a team out of the factory.

BMW Motorsport and Rahal Letterman Racing are 2 completely different teams and one should not score points for the other end of.

And this is not about BMW Motorsport or the ILMC, this about RLR and the ALMS Teams Championship and the regulations clearly state that in order to score points in the teams championship you have to be a classified finisher which RLR #90 and #92 clearly wont be because they are not even competing!
So why are you so upset with BMW. You completely disregarded my argument which proves you are completely biased towards. Porsche. Im sure if porsche was in this situation you would not have a problem.

As far as im concerned you should not even care. What on earth do you have against BMW. did they fire you or something?

Just let it be. this is obviously a tricky situation and the ALMS and ACO have allowed the team to get the points.

Why are you so against this. You keep saying the rules say this and the rules say that. The rulemakers(ACO and IMSA) obviously dont care so why are you so upset. This bring me back to my point that i think you hate BMW. your profile pick is a flying lizard porsche.(Do you work for flying lizard motorsports by chance.) How much are they paying you to say this lol.