Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 11 Jun 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1325361)   #1
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Brooks column

I always like to moment, normally a few days after the race, to see how John Brooks and David Lister did their work (I regard them as the better photographers at work in the sportscar world). last week I received a mailing with a link to a column by John. Certainly nice reading!

http://www.studioline.biz/EN/Product...ro/default.htm
Old 11 Jun 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1325368)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the link, its a good read and it also gives some very useful tips.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1325633)   #3
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photo/text and he manged to get a plug in for studioline. lol
Old 11 Jun 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1325709)   #4
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

John Brooks uses:

Cameras:
Canon 1D ll
Canon 1Ds ll

Lenses (all Canon):
16-35mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8
500mm f2.8

I wonder how much this experimental 500mm f2.8 would retail for...
Old 11 Jun 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1325735)   #5
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_gav
Quote:

John Brooks uses:

Cameras:
Canon 1D ll
Canon 1Ds ll

Lenses (all Canon):
16-35mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8
500mm f2.8

I wonder how much this experimental 500mm f2.8 would retail for...

More Groats than you have ladee..........f4.0 of course is the correct figure.

See you in France..........tomorrow? or Wednesday?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1325772)   #6
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have any groats, as you well know.

I'll be back on Monday night so you'll probably see me perched on top of a transporter at scrute on tuesday.

By the way, do you actually use Studioline or is your endorsement of a more.... mercenary nature?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1325870)   #7
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very very interesting read. I was surprised that a Pro like John Brooks is using RAW...i allways thought shooting JPEGs is mantadory as a motorsport photographer.

makes me wanna try that too...
Old 12 Jun 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1326063)   #8
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
I don't have any groats, as you well know.

I'll be back on Monday night so you'll probably see me perched on top of a transporter at scrute on tuesday.

By the way, do you actually use Studioline or is your endorsement of a more.... mercenary nature?
Mercenary? Moi? I am a freelance photographer which as you know seems to be a charitable occupation........explains lack of Groats.

No but yes but no, actually I do use Studioline for certain tasks just like I use Photoshop and Breezebrowser as well..........whatever you get comfortable with that works under the pressure of deadlines. Studioline is looking at developing solutions to problems that other software are not addressing.........more on that later.

Also my website is run by the guys who produce Studioline and they do a brilliant job on it.

I am off this morning on the train so see you Tuesday..........
Old 12 Jun 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1326069)   #9
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPrange
very very interesting read. I was surprised that a Pro like John Brooks is using RAW...i allways thought shooting JPEGs is mantadory as a motorsport photographer.

Robert

I have used RAW format since 2001............I would not consider anything else..........you are right though, LAT, Suttons, DPPI, Photo4 all shoot jpeg............I hope they continue.

There are problems with deadlines, editing, storage and more recently conversion software but why spend all the money on equipment and not give yourself the best chance of creating the optimum image?

The biggest potential problem with RAW is with the manufacturers...........

For instance the latest version of Canon's ropey processing software Digital Photo Professional does not support RAW files created with a Canon D30...........you cannot even see them as a thumbnail.........gives you little confidence that the 1Dsll files may be accessable when the 1DsV is out............

The issue is covered on the excellent website www.luminous-landscape.com which should be required reading for any serious photographer.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml

There are plenty of websites that offer advice on RAW files and the issues involved......... try www.robgalbraith.com or www.outbackphoto.com

Experiment...........you may be surprised at the results.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1326080)   #10
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact, I think I'm right in saying that it's Sudioline that maintains the Galleries on sportscarpros.. All the images are automatically maintained in a database and uniquely referenced.. The galleries are formed and if an image is changed then so are all the referneces to it.. I was expalined to me as follows:

Studioline knows .. when an image is altered somewhere .. even in older galleries ... and will add it to the publish list when transferring (to a webspace, for instance) ... it transfers everything under a different name .. ... in case you have an existing gallery ... it is still usable ..

Then SL checks if everything is CORRECT on the server ... this is all unattended ... you can have a coffee or even shoot new images.. if not CORRECT .. SL repeats this until everything is okay

then first it renames images to the actual name ... this all happens in a subsecond ... visitors of SL websites can enjoy uninterrupted viewing

then SL cleans up the "mess" ... removes all the working copies ... and outdated images ... or web pages

so you never will experience a "red X" or a have loaded image ... with grey blocks in the lower have ... if shipped all the way from the camera to the website with StudioLine..

Anyway, thanks for the plug and kind comments vandijk.. Nice to know one is appreciated..

....and Brooksie, I shall be claiming my copyright fee on the waterproof trousers tip.. Beer will do in payment.. (read the articles referenced above if you'd like the back ground to this folks)..
Old 12 Jun 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1326179)   #11
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't have any groats, as you well know. 'll be back on Monday night so you'll probably see me perched on top of a transporter at scrute on tuesday.
Couldn't they stretch to a room for you Gav..? Seems rather tight to make you sleep on the Transporter roof.. Hope it doesn't rain...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1327525)   #12
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mm
Robert

I have used RAW format since 2001............I would not consider anything else..........you are right though, LAT, Suttons, DPPI, Photo4 all shoot jpeg............I hope they continue.

There are problems with deadlines, editing, storage and more recently conversion software but why spend all the money on equipment and not give yourself the best chance of creating the optimum image?

The biggest potential problem with RAW is with the manufacturers...........

For instance the latest version of Canon's ropey processing software Digital Photo Professional does not support RAW files created with a Canon D30...........you cannot even see them as a thumbnail.........gives you little confidence that the 1Dsll files may be accessable when the 1DsV is out............

The issue is covered on the excellent website www.luminous-landscape.com which should be required reading for any serious photographer.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml

There are plenty of websites that offer advice on RAW files and the issues involved......... try www.robgalbraith.com or www.outbackphoto.com

Experiment...........you may be surprised at the results.
Hi John

Thanks for the helpfull links , i will try shooting some raw images next wekend during the 24hrs

regards
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1328763)   #13
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPrange

I only ever shoot RAW and can have pictures where they should be just as quick as the JPG boys. There are still people out there using film and meeting the MN deadlines. Go with what works for you.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 18 Jun 2005, 03:55 (Ref:1331970)   #14
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe John actually wrote those by himself... There's no cussing!!!

Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1335494)   #15
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
I can't believe John actually wrote those by himself... There's no cussing!!!

Is this the same Hugewally who was so pleased to see me on a golf cart trackside at turn 5 Sebring back in March...........that Hugewally had an impressive command of Anglo-Saxon which he exhibited at high volume and velocity..............he was my hero.............

Hope to see and hear more at PLM...........
Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1335498)   #16
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mm
Is this the same Hugewally who was so pleased to see me on a golf cart trackside at turn 5 Sebring back in March...........that Hugewally had an impressive command of Anglo-Saxon which he exhibited at high volume and velocity..............he was my hero.............

Hope to see and hear more at PLM...........
Ah yup! I'm your biggest fan!!!

Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1363161)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just been reading through John's latest column, this is month is about the greatest sportscar race of them all....
Old 25 Jul 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1363266)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Thanks rob for pointing that one out - it's another useful column. Useful to actually gain some insight as most of the time I've ever spent around Mr. Brooks has been spent fending off comments in that cod Scottish accent of his...

The bugger for me is that what are described as the two most important aspects of LM were probably the weakest parts of my work this year. Sunset was good but I struggled to do justice to sunrise and I suspect it'll take more practice to really make the most of it (and maybe a 500mm f4 wouldn't go amiss).

I have to confess to having skipped the finish shot. Given TK's history-making, it's a tough one to explain but by that point I was so thoroughly tired and deeply ****ed off with the guy I'd employed as an assistant snapper that I was more content to enjoy the last few laps in the press room with the Racecar Engineering lot than to go back out in 30-odd degree heat and wait for the shot.

Of course, as the last laps drew nearer that relaxed feeling turned gradually to burning regret that I wasn't out there, but by that point it was too late to do so.

Aside from that I had a great Le Mans, but lesson learned and I'll be back next year to improve matters. It just makes the waiting all that much harder than usual.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1364111)   #19
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tips from the Pro?

...The cost and the hassle of visiting a post 9/11 USA
have closed that particular chapter on my career...

Too bad he feels that way...I don't feel the same way at all about a "post 7/7 UK."
Old 26 Jul 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1364126)   #20
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might give Le Mans a bash next year again (last blitzed in 89!) and kick all your a###S! ....seriously, I think its about time I gave it another shot (or a few thousand) as a lot has changed since I was last there...then there was no right turn after the Dunlop bridge...about a 2 foot gap to get in between the main straight barrier and the pitlane...it beckons for sure next year!!
Old 28 Jul 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1365360)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS
Tips from the Pro?

...The cost and the hassle of visiting a post 9/11 USA
have closed that particular chapter on my career...

Too bad he feels that way...I don't feel the same way at all about a "post 7/7 UK."
I doubt it's the terrorist threat - don't forget we Brits have lived with terrorism for a long time!

The last time I went to the states was pre 9/11 and it took me forever to get through immigration and i was only visiting a friend for 10 days!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1370805)   #22
500mm
Rookie

Canyons of your mind

Gavin,

I am sorry that you are not impressed with my Sean Connery impersonation..........I will try harder for next year...........you can look forward to that

You are right though, Le Mans drains your energy like no other race........those of us who are around from Monday have done something like three or four normal race weekends back to back..........the slightest hassle will assume a disproportionate reaction........especially with you sleeping on the truck for a week.....I was very lucky to have someone working with me who was an absolute brick throughout the event.

The money shot this year was always going to be TK crossing the line and he did not disappoint.........I have had that image selling like hot cakes but at Le Mans you cannot be everywhere so planning assumes even more importance than normal. Leaving a little something in the tank for Sunday afternoon is the answer.

Baz, you should come back to La Sarthe, but try and be there the whole week. You will find massive changes........the pits for instance....be glad to show you around.

Bob, I don't know what to say........in 4 years covering the ALMS beat, I found trans-Atlantic flights in cattle class 8 or 10 times a year takes its toll.........when you arrive the US you might think that you were the enemy rather than Uncle Sam's only ally in the desert.......however the rest of the world is catching you up fast, what will finish my travelling days will be the increasing delays, hassle and general muckabout. Plus ALMS is not at anything like the level of the 1999-2002 seasons. Oh and please do not use the wretched expression 7/7.........leave that to NBC, CNN and the other sufferers of attention deficiency syndrome. I lived and worked in London from the 70's right through the various terror campaigns so have a fatalistic attitude to the activities of terrorists........if your number is up then that's it. If you alter your activities in response to their activities they win........simple as that.....you are way more likely to be killed in a road accident than blown up.........we don't stop driving though.

Feedback on my columns is most welcome, both positive and negative, so thank you all.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1372101)   #23
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
John, I'll expect an improved accent by Silverstone as I assume you'll be present!

The regret at missing the finish shot is more personal than commercial. At my current level, I was aware that I was unlikely to be selling shots like that and I simply am without the contacts to ensure such repeat business from one 'money shot'.

That may come in time, and of course it's naive to assume that something won't sell and therefore not shoot it, but I don't tend to repeat mistakes and most certainly will approach LM differently next year. Most importantly, I won't be employing anyone to shoot alongside me...
Old 4 Aug 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1372300)   #24
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be in touch John unless I bump into you soonish-thanks mate!