Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2419738)   #1676
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A weaker entry list than last year, though that was to be expected really.
Its not so much the lack of enteries more the fact it looks like a retirement club this year.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2419741)   #1677
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Pinkney was running the plain orange spare car - his car is still in build. Looking at the show car they had in the paddock, it looks like his sunstrip will be pink but the flames will be silver...

Too bad IMO, those pink flames would have been really nice looking.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2419748)   #1678
Icebaby
Veteran

Just going to be too easy again this year....
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2419752)   #1679
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Too bad IMO, those pink flames would have been really nice looking.
Yeah, I agree. Still, they've got a couple of weeks - plenty of time to get some pink vinyls made
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2419762)   #1680
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They will be pink
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2419763)   #1681
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a bit disappointed looking at the times from media day now. RAC and VXR look good, but I was hoping for more pace from Motorbase, CVR, Tempus, Dynamics and Arena really. I think we've got to look for one of those to step up really. Otherwise it will be Gio for the title easily. Turkington will be the closest rival, he'll have no competition from within VXR, Neal can't touch him and I can't see Jordan on his pace. We need the rest to get their act together.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2419765)   #1682
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I have just had a text from a friend who is at Rockingham , he reports that Colin Turkington looks quick (In fact he is currently quickest). He also say that Jonathan Adam has blown an engine and gearbox. The Cartridge World Carbon Zero Racing have not done any laps.
If you friend sent you that shortly before you posted it then he couldn't have been watching very closely, the CZR Leon came out around 3.30.

A few thoughts on liveries...
VXR - much the same as last year. The yellow on white Pirtek on the back of Jordan's car is near invisible.
Dynamics - looks stunning in black and silver
JAG - shame about the orange interior but looks great in black with just a hint of red
Sunshine - with a name like Sunshine why are the cars mostly midnight black?
Airwaves - wasn't keen on the blue middle section, looks like a hasty afterthought, but looks much better on track
Tempus - do they have any sponsors? Huge amounts of empty space on the doors.
CZR - looked much better on the early PR shots that on track
AON - wasn't impressed with the first showing (without logos) but it's growing on me.
RAC - other than the stripy bits has anything changed? Still looks good.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2419780)   #1683
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any pictures of the actual Motorbase paintjob rather than last year's one with the Airwaves logo slapped on?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2419790)   #1684
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!

http://www.redshoes-archive.com/2009...19_Rockingham/
Old 19 Mar 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2419791)   #1685
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is what was running today:

I think the pic floating around from before is better, assuming thats the final design.

Old 19 Mar 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2419833)   #1686
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Motorbase cars do look a bit weird - just a bit of a mix up from where I am sitting especially as it seems all that has been done is a blue vinyl laid over the doors, right to the very shape of the door at the back.

I'd agree though with Redshoes take on the liveries - Dynamics is definitely contender for best of the year, but I do like the Team Sunshin cars. Isn't there meant to be a sense of irony about that livery, being on the dark background.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2419986)   #1687
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To my mind, looking at last years car the red/black stripes worked well.
This year however, the black seems like a colour too many with the blue on the sides and bonnet.
If the black stripes where removed and the blue panel continued through to the rear arch in some way then I think it's a decent design.
IMHO, RAC, Dynamics and AON are the best designed liveries on the grid with Dynamics taking the crown. The black seems to add a menace to the cars and a sense of purpose to the design.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2420123)   #1688
Icebaby
Veteran

Does STCC have the same issues as BTCC in that they have a brigade of over 40's competing in the championship who are there due to money rather than talent?

As the BTCC rates in the same context as WTCC, DTM and V8 touring cars as our English equivelent I am so dissapointed with this years line up.

Unless Thmpson and Plato come in I shan't bother going to any races and will spend the cash on DTM and WTCC when they come to the UK, I want to see ability and new talent coming through.

I feel the fans are being cheated.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2420144)   #1689
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Does STCC have the same issues as BTCC in that they have a brigade of over 40's competing in the championship who are there due to money rather than talent?

As the BTCC rates in the same context as WTCC, DTM and V8 touring cars as our English equivelent I am so dissapointed with this years line up.

Unless Thmpson and Plato come in I shan't bother going to any races and will spend the cash on DTM and WTCC when they come to the UK, I want to see ability and new talent coming through.

I feel the fans are being cheated.
Change the record, man - you say the same thing every couple of pages.

The UK's been decimated by the financial situation and thanks to the daft way the country is run it's worse than in various other places. To have 20+ quality entries (stronger than last year? Discuss, I think it is) despite that is pretty impressive.

If you don't like it, as you say, don't go. The rest of us will just enjoy the good racing. Which, let's be honest, despite the stellar cast list - you wont see in the WTCC.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2420194)   #1690
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Nope, we dont have that at all. STCC probably had more professional teams with payed drivers than BTCC last year and certainly this year. What we where lacking last year(s) was total numbers of cars on the grid due to the few "independents" but this year ironically that end of the grid looks stronger than ever, with lots of young talents, increasing the total full season entries to 24.

Our gentleman racers seems to prefer Carerra Cup, which boasts 30+ grids where the "I was also there" category drivers make up about half the numbers.
Quote:
... I want to see ability and new talent coming through. I feel the fans are being cheated.
Well, now times are bad, and just canseling the series isn't a good idea either. But hopefully BTCC will ride out the storm and be back with better grids in 1-2 years
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2420196)   #1691
Winchester
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, Leics - near Mallory Park
Winchester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MikeH, agree with your sentiments entirely.
At the start of 06 there were only about 15 or 16 cars and that grew and grew into a classic year. The only "big names" then were Gio, Plato and Thompson, and from the rumours going around we may still see Plato this year and we already have 21 cars!
I can't understand the negativity of posters like Icebaby towards the BTCC. Spend your money on the WTCC if you like but the racing's not a patch on the BTCC, no matter how strong the drivers. Politics are always in P1 on the grid there.
If you boycott the BTCC, it's your loss!
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2420215)   #1692
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the BTCC might not have the 'best' drivers, what national saloon championship will?
If the overall level of talent is better in STCC, DTM, WTCC or Junior Ginettas I couldn't care less.
The main thing I want to see is close, fair competition with titles that could be won by a number of different teams/drivers/cars.
I also don't want to see one driver parading at the back getting lapped so the line-up this season suits me fine.
Admittedly it would be nice to have a couple more big names in the series, my main concern is the lack of Mat Jackson who was a rising star in TCC.
Let's look at the positive, with Plato etc. missing from the championship the door is open for the next big name to appear. Turkington is continuing to make a good name for himself, who knows - we might see Adam and Jordan becoming the stars of the future.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2420222)   #1693
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this year looks good. Yes it would be nice to see Plato, Thompson and especially for me Kane, on the grid, we still have plenty to keep us occupied. Just becuase the drivers are old, or oldish! Does not mean they cant race well and closely. At the front we will have VXR, RAC (i believe both drivers this year, Jelley can only improve) AOn, CZR, Motorbase and TD. Plus also Tempus. Now tell me that wont be a competative top end of the grid?
And yes we will see people like Hughes, George Bell etc at the back, but when they race together they race well. I dont give a monkeys who's name is on the side of the car, as long as its prodviding me with good quality racing.
The halycon days of 1993-1998 are over and will never return. Deal with it.
Simon
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2420228)   #1694
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
This year's line-up might be better than recent F1 grids.

In recent F1 (arguably the pinnacle of motorsport), only two or three teams were pushing for the title each season, the mid-pack was trying to catch up and the tail end were so far of the pace there was no competition. As a result, a lot of viewers saw it as a procession.
This years' BTCC grid - a number of teams at the front, with a mixture of proven drivers and rising stars. Then closely followed by a pack of 'pay-as-you-go' drivers who, while not challenging for honours, can be caught up in the mix quite often throughout the season and will be racing hard.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2420355)   #1695
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
Change the record, man - you say the same thing every couple of pages..
Changed the record and gone elsewhere.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2420470)   #1696
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This year's line-up might be better than recent F1 grids.
And, IMO with good cause, people complain a lot about that situation in F1. So it's also not too strange people feel sad/react when the same tendency show up eg in the BTCC.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2420479)   #1697
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
its a chance for some of the new boys like McMillian and others have a great chance to shine this year. Its all about supply and demand, the teams have decreed that they do not need or can justify paying the likes of Plato and Thompson over, say Shedden and Pinkney (obviously with funding arriving).

Also, on the age front. The likes of Rouse, Soper, Hoy and the later years of Cleland - they were hardly young uns....
Old 21 Mar 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2420627)   #1698
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Gabriele Tarquini isn't a fresh-faced child out of karts, it doesn't stop him being quick in WTCC (and Rydell, Zanardi, Muller etc).

With touring cars compared to other forms of motorsport, age isn't too much of an advantage (or disadvantage).
Old 21 Mar 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2420787)   #1699
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
age isn't too much of an advantage (or disadvantage).
The point made wasn't about age but "... there due to money rather than talent"
Old 22 Mar 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2421629)   #1700
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
To have 20+ quality entries (stronger than last year? Discuss, I think it is)
I'd say it's nowhere near as good. Plato, Turner and Jackson are all gone without being replaced. McMillan and Johnson can't be expected to be competitive. Andy Jordan is about equal to Tom O-C, but the switch there has left us down by two cars. Unless the second Arena car has a strong driver, we've only gained Pinkney in terms of drivers there. Having O'Neill and Eaves back is good, and Adam is probably about equal to Kane, but that's about it. Which team is likely to improve enough or hit the ground running well enough to challenge Vauxhall?
Closed Thread

Tags
2009, btcc, entries