Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 May 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3820093)   #626
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh. That wasn’t the podium.

Anyone seen Isle of Dogs btw?
Old 5 May 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3820094)   #627
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
What is going on here? Horrific scenes on the podium.
Bit of a cringe fest...just give the trophies haha
Old 5 May 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3820096)   #628
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
ACO, we wanted a podium celebration, not your weird mates' best TS050 impression.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3820097)   #629
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
Calm the Alonso hate. #7 broke the rules and did not get penalized. Toyota do like all teams do, and play the team game.

Chill and enjoy the marvellous GT fights.

I think this was a really, really good start to the season.
That’s irrelevant ,, and if it was a penalty how come it wasn’t awarded ,, the lights were green ..Toyota didn’t get Penalized .. that has nothing to do with the outcome .. the #7 would have still hunted the #8 down anyways ..
Old 5 May 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3820098)   #630
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Whether there were team orders or not, the #7 broke the rules and got away with it anyway so this result is what would've happened.
What people are annoyed at is the bending over backwards to allow the second coming of Jesus to win. If the 7 got passed and then was penalised anyway it would be different.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3820100)   #631
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
What people are annoyed at is the bending over backwards to allow the second coming of Jesus to win. If the 7 got passed and then was penalised anyway it would be different.
Oh I agree, and the long fill on the 7 was particularly poor. But I think this would've been the result anyway.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3820101)   #632
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Whether there were team orders or not, the #7 broke the rules and got away with it anyway so this result is what would've happened.
That’s irrelevant ,, it would’ve not changed the out come whether Conway decided to wait behind or jump in front of the p2 , he was going to catch Alonso no matter what .. faster driver period . There is no Alonso hate ,, he is a great driver , but today it was clearly that the race was given to him .. let’s not play stupid or be a fanboy ..
Old 5 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3820102)   #633
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank goodness we didn’t have Internet forums in the past. Wonder what this place would’ve made of Brundle swapping cars at LM ‘90.

I prefer pure racing, but ‘‘twas ever thus. Toyota have pumped millions into this project. ‘Alonso wins’ makes print and Internet headlines. ‘#7 crew wins, Alonso 2nd’ doesn’t. Most team bosses, knowing who they need to please, would’ve made the same call.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3820103)   #634
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
What people are annoyed at is the bending over backwards to allow the second coming of Jesus to win.
Which didn't happen anyway.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3820104)   #635
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where's Kobayashi?
Old 5 May 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3820105)   #636
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wait, was there this much outrage last year when Toyota told the cars to hold station when Kobayashi was seemingly closing in for the lead? Or is this just because Alonso is in the team now? They led the whole race and if it weren't for 2 safety cars the #7 would be lucky to be within a minute or the same lap. They'll get their's. I bet they take more race wins than the #8 because Conway Lopez and Kobayashi are all about equally fast. The #8 I don't think has as good a lineup.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3820106)   #637
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Quote:
I’m dying lmao hahahahahahah the second coming of jesus
Old 5 May 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3820107)   #638
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Thank goodness we didn’t have Internet forums in the past. Wonder what this place would’ve made of Brundle swapping cars at LM ‘90.
The internet doesn't make people more <undesirable quality>, it just makes <undesirable quality> more visible to everybody else.

All that was confirmed today, besides the points, was that a lot of people (myself included, by the way) would not make particularly good team managers.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3820109)   #639
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Kamui must be exhausted from his triple stint?
Old 5 May 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3820111)   #640
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Kamui must be exhausted from his triple stint?
He's clearly angrily remonstrating with team management for not letting Conway get past Alonso
Old 5 May 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3820112)   #641
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Wait, was there this much outrage last year when Toyota told the cars to hold station when Kobayashi was seemingly closing in for the lead? Or is this just because Alonso is in the team now? They led the whole race and if it weren't for 2 safety cars the #7 would be lucky to be within a minute or the same lap. They'll get their's. I bet they take more race wins than the #8 because Conway Lopez and Kobayashi are all about equally fast. The #8 I don't think has as good a lineup.
This is the first race of the season don't forget. Last year the 8 Toyota won in Silverstone while the 7 only scored 1.5 points. So the 8 was already miles ahead in the championship.
Old 5 May 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3820113)   #642
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope not, but they've certainly made a big deal out of it. When they interviewed Nakajima he looked like someone had smacked his arse. "I had to do a triple stint". Aye ok...that's kinda part of the job. You'll probably do more than that at Le Mans. What exactly is the issue?
Old 5 May 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3820114)   #643
TF110
Veteran

United States
Maybe Koby had to take a dump?

On the team orders thing, it's a long season. The #7 may just win Le Mans. What will that mean? What if they're a minute up the road on the final lap, will they have to pull over to let Alonso win? I doubt that. I wouldn't read into it now. If it's a repeat thing, then I might be upset they aren't letting the results play out.
Old 5 May 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3820115)   #644
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
He's clearly angrily remonstrating with team management for not letting Conway get past Alonso
Old 5 May 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3820116)   #645
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I personally don't mind the team orders--IMO, it's just too common in racing today, be it though strategy, #1 and #2 teams, etc, etc. It's just too common a practice.

Could there have been ulterior motives? Sure, possibly, but not being privy to such info, I can only guess.

I look at it this way: when Audi had multi-car teams or multiple teams in the ALMS days, I didn't care who won as long as an Audi won. I liked the teams equally for the most part. There's probably an aspect of TMG not caring which team won as long as they got a 1-2, especially with the problems that the #8 might have had.

Could they have went for the PR coup of getting Fernando a win in his debut? Yes, and in all honesty, from public relations and press attention aspect, I won't hold it massively against them, especially with all the negativity that surrounded the WEC and LM after the Audi Sport and Porsche departures.

Would it have been neat to have had them race, especially give that the #7 came from a lap behind to be in contention? Certainly. That's why it's called a race, after all. But unlike NASCAR or Indy Car or other motorsports where each team shares sponsors, car color schemes, stuff like that, and allegiances are more closely forged, it's more of a team sport in road racing and stuff like F1.

And for that, I'm not going to lose sleep over this, just like when Porsche did the same last year.
Old 5 May 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3820117)   #646
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Maybe Koby had to take a dump?

On the team orders thing, it's a long season. The #7 may just win Le Mans. What will that mean? What if they're a minute up the road on the final lap, will they have to pull over to let Alonso win? I doubt that. I wouldn't read into it now. If it's a repeat thing, then I might be upset they aren't letting the results play out.
I know that it's totally immature grade school humor, but I couldn't resist laughing at that one, not so much the statement but the image.

I also get that this is race one in a (this year especially) very long duration season, and that usually will set the tone. Such as last year when you had the #8 get a big lead over the #7 and the same at Porsche after Le Mans.

It depends on if TMG do make a habit out of it. And looking at the results from Spa, I don't think they'll have too many opportunities to play team orders. It was easy for them to do it at Spa because they had a significant lead over the privateers, but even early on, Toyota sort of had to fight like hell because until the Rebellions and SMPs had their issues, they were close enough to take advantage of any slip ups. That bodes well for LM and the season as a whole.

Just take this as Toyota probably actually are, on a case by case basis. I think this will probably be the most fun I've had in a racing season in a while if the ACO get their sums right.
Old 5 May 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3820137)   #647
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
On a positive note, the stream was very nearly perfect for me, just three (I think) brief stutters. Fantastic picture quality too.
Old 5 May 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3820138)   #648
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
No way Toyota are going to pass up the PR of Alonso being champ. No way on earth.
Old 5 May 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3820144)   #649
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
No way Toyota are going to pass up the PR of Alonso being champ. No way on earth.
Nope, that is why he is there. Publicity, but also a huge talent, and versatile too. (yes, I am an Alonso fan)
Old 5 May 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3820145)   #650
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So that must be Fred’s first win since the 2013 Spanish GP? Been long enough

Hope Ginetta don’t miss any more races