Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:04 (Ref:935286)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dyson looking at a Dome/Judd?

I was looking at a blurb about Chris Dyson's test with RfH on lmsr.net and found the following quote:

"More than one person has mentioned to me recently the interest that Dyson has in the Dome/Judd combination for the future."

Can someone expand on this if they have other information or more insight. Considering that this is 2004 I find this story confusing. Don't get me wrong, I feel the Dome/Judd combination is strong. And the recent Paul Ricard test confirms that. But with new cars being built this year and next year why look at older cars? This wouldn't be for this year would it? Maybe I'm just missing something. Please advise.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:18 (Ref:935299)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boy...Dyson knows how to spend money, doesn't he???

Since 2000 or so, they have raced or tested:

R&S MkIIIA
R&S MkIIIC
a Reynard chassis (ibelieve at daytona in 2000 or 2001?)
a Crawford Chassis (in GARRA for a coupel of races last summer)
the MG-Lolas

Those are just the ones that I can remember...were there others????

He campaigned one full season (2003) with the MG-Lola, plus Petit in 2002...

Now he's looking at a Dome....

He has every right to do as he pleases...it's his team and his money...

But I would think that for once he may want to actually "stay" with a chassis for a while to see if they can make some progress with it....

Of that list above, the only car he campaigned for more than one full season was the R&S MkIIIA

That's not a very good record of commitment to a chassis...

and if he does get a Dome, ther's a whole new learning curve with yet another chassis....

Sorry...but that makes about as much sense to me as his turning down an "automatic bid" to Le Mans that they earned....

with the MG-Lola...the car that would get scrapped if he does go to Dome...after spending a year of time and money to test it and improve it....

Please help me if I'm missing something here.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Apr 2004, 16:27 (Ref:935303)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just as confused Tim. Heck, with all that money he could have purchased an R8 and been running for titles. Or why not commission a builder to build a 2004 spec chassis?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 17:39 (Ref:935371)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Dyson looking at a Dome/Judd?

Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
[B]"More than one person has mentioned to me recently the interest that Dyson has in the Dome/Judd combination for the future."
Dyson the driver?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 18:43 (Ref:935405)   #5
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does any one know if Dome is planning to build a new Dome powered Judd for introduction in 2005/2005? It may be that Dyson may want to get in on the ground floor if Dome brings out a car for the new regulations.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 20:29 (Ref:935459)   #6
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't surprise me, but considering the recent working arrangement between Lammers & Dyson, it does seem as if maybe Jan is "greasing the slide" for Rob if he's looking to buy. It pays to have someone with experience with the chassis/engine combination, besides the manufacturer, to work with.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 20:51 (Ref:935471)   #7
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... besides, just imagine how an S101/2 would look in the Dyson-Norcold colors.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 23:51 (Ref:935559)   #8
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Bill is right.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 01:23 (Ref:935579)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Umm, Chris Dyson is racing in the Dome at LM. He is testing in preparation of said race.

Dyson will finish the year off with the MG's, and apparently are looking at a new car for ALMS, for next year. It won't be THAT Dome, as it is a LMP900.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 01:54 (Ref:935585)   #10
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see Dyson and Lammers teaming up and running a Dome or Lola....but it would seem to me Dyson going to G/A would be a better business decision. He wouldn't still be playing second fiddle to the R8...or the new R9....
Old 10 Apr 2004, 11:10 (Ref:935746)   #11
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dyson has stated many times that he has zero interest in GA.

fyi
Old 10 Apr 2004, 11:14 (Ref:935749)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by independent

fyi
But why? If I had an American privateer sportscar team, wouldn't it be the logical place to go?

Also, does Chris Dyson driving a Dome necessarily add up to Rob Dyson wanting to buy a Dome? Maybe Chris D. wants to do something for his driving career, and get some drives outside of ALMS? Just a thought.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 17:56 (Ref:935939)   #13
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

fyi
Funny i havn't heard Chris or Rob say that ever... I have heard them say that Daytona is more important to them then LeMans.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 21:42 (Ref:936072)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
After all, they have spent quite some time in GA, I suppose it would be a natural thing for them to go back there.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 21:54 (Ref:936084)   #15
independent
Racer

"Funny i havn't heard Chris or Rob say that ever... I have heard them say that Daytona is more important to them then LeMans. "

Funny, this is a quote from a poster in a GA board thread that you were involved with, remember?

"Here is a quote from Dyson himself when asked about Grand-Am. "I am NOT interested in racing slower prototypes."

Hope that refreshes your memory.

Cheers!
Old 10 Apr 2004, 21:58 (Ref:936087)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Here is a quote from Dyson himself when asked about Grand-Am. "I am NOT interested in racing slower prototypes."
So THAT's why he's not going to Le Mans!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 00:18 (Ref:936158)   #17
independent
Racer

"So THAT's why he's not going to Le Mans!"

No, I think he was referring to his absence from GA since the 24 lost its international status and appeal when they merged with Nascar.

I imagine it would be quite a shock running 220+ in a LMP1 then the next weekend straining to break 165 in a DP. Talk about slow motion

Last edited by independent; 11 Apr 2004 at 00:24.