Old 25 Aug 2001, 08:38 (Ref:135619)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Uncle Ken

Ken Tyrell has died, he was 77 years old

Last edited by steve nielsen; 25 Aug 2001 at 08:39.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 08:52 (Ref:135621)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, beaten to it by 10 minutes.

I'm sorry to hear about it, does anyone know what he died of? Or why he wasn't standing in front of his own car in the picture?
Old 25 Aug 2001, 08:54 (Ref:135622)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
He had cancer, but I don't know if he died as a result of it.....
Old 25 Aug 2001, 08:59 (Ref:135624)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland

Ken Tyrrell dead at 77
The passing of an icon [25/08/01 - 10:21]

Ken Tyrrell

he Formula One world is once again in mourning after Ken Tyrrell, founder of the Tyrrell Formula One team, sadly passed away in his Surrey home this morning, his family reporting that the 77-year-old Formula One icon had been suffering with an illness.

Ken had been captivated by racing since the 1950's, driving until 1958 before turning his attention to team management, eventually founding the Tyrrell Racing Team in 1960. Many say that Ken's link to the top was formed when he discovered a young Jackie Stewart and added it to his own technical abilities. Jackie was signed after Ken was urged to give the young Scotsman a test drive in his Formula Three car after the teams regular driver, Timmy Mayer was killed in Tasmania. When Stewart proved faster than Bruce McLaren, Ken was quick to sign him. Although Stewart raced in the Formula Two division, he moved into Formula One in 1968.

At that time, Ken was running with a Ford Cosworth DFV engine and a chassis from Matra and Jackie Stewart only missed out on victory in the final round of the season. It was a sign of things to come because the following year, he was unbeatable, winning six races to collect both titles, the drivers for himself, the constructors for Matra. In 1970 Matra refused to build a car to suit the Ford V8 and as the new regulations made the old one obsolete, Jackie was forced to race in a customer car from March. By this stage, Ken had hired Derek Gardner to design the first Tyrrell, the Tyrrell 001, which Jackie switched to when the March proved uncompetitive.

Jackie Stewart

Together, Jackie Stewart and teammate Francois Cevert blitzed the field in 1971, with Jackie clinching his second title and Cevert coming in third. The following season saw Stewart suffering with an ulcer, disrupting his season, but he returned in force in 73, taking yet another championship, although Lotus won the Constructors championship. Ken suffered a blow early in the season when Jackie informed him of his desire to retire after the final race at Watkins Glen. It was set to be his 100th race. He had the title wrapped up in Monza with the best drive of his career, but he didn't get to race at The Glen as teammate and friend, Francois Cevert died during practice and the team withdrew. It seems as if their success died along with Cevert that day as the team failed to achieve that early success again.

Tyrrell developed the famous P34 six wheeler with the theory that the four small wheels would lay down more rubber on the track, producing an aerodynamically cleaner front end and at Anderstorp in 1976, Scheckter and Depailler finished first and second. Ronnie Peterson replaced Scheckter for the 77 season, but unfortunately by then, the P34's were no longer competitive. Depailler gave the Tyrrell team victory again at Monaco in 1978, yet this was to be their last until Michele Alboreto won in Las Vegas in 1982.

The 1980's and early 1990's saw a team that was only a shadow of it's former self, highlighted only by some stunning performances by Jean Alesi using Harvey Postlewaites' 018/019 design. It wasn't until 1994 that a glimmer hope was seen to twinkle in Ken's eye. A worked Yamaha combined with Ukyo Katayama saw the team tie for sixth place. But that sparkle soon faded as although Mika Salo made a storming debut in 1995, running third in Brazil, he succumbed to cramps and spun, falling to seventh and then failed to score points for the next eleven races. Katayama failed to score at all.1996 was the same with 97 seeing the team slide even further as they struggled with year old Ford engines that left Mika Salo and Jos Verstappen struggling apart from a wet Monaco GP that saw Salo finish fifth.

At the end of the 97 season, Ken sold the team to British American Tobacco so that it could form a new team and hopefully return to the early glory days. I998 saw Tyrrell race for their final season, the name being officially changed in December then, sadly, Ken walked away from the team after a dispute over the driver line up.

Jackie Stewart, the former triple world champion, said he was "deeply saddened" by the death of the man considered a legend in Formula One circles.Tyrrell helped to discover a number of British and foreign racing talents throughout his distinguished career.

"My heart is deeply saddened by the passing of a great friend,” he said. "Ken was the most important person in my life outside my family. Without Ken Tyrrell, I would not be where I am today. Ken was like a father. In his time, Ken was simply the best."

May he rest in peace and our thoughts go out to his family.

Robyn Schmidt, Chief English Editor
CAPSIS International

Last edited by steve nielsen; 25 Aug 2001 at 09:00.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 09:23 (Ref:135629)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
How terrible - my condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Ken - a true legend.

Old 25 Aug 2001, 11:11 (Ref:135682)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ken Tyrrell is dead

Ken Tyrell died in the early hours of this morning, after losing his battle with cancer of the pancreas.

A truly great motorsport legend.
Ken Tyrell 1924-2001.

Last edited by touringlegend; 25 Aug 2001 at 11:12.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 11:45 (Ref:135695)   #7
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:16 (Ref:135708)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rest in Peace, friend.

Your name will be forever remembered...
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:32 (Ref:135713)   #9
AGGY
Racer

AGGY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:49 (Ref:135716)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very sad news indeed...a legend in Formula One circles and one that will always be remembered as the owner of of one of the most innovative teams in the sports history.

I always had a soft spot for the Tyrrell team and allthough i never met Ken himself thought he was a true gentleman in the sport.

his memory will live on in the minds of many fans forever.

RIP Ken Tyrrell
Old 25 Aug 2001, 14:41 (Ref:135738)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news, he was a real gentleman and a terrific judge of driving talent. I'm amazed that he survived as long as he did for the effects of his long-term illness were obvious. His continued public appearences were a great testimony yo his courage.

I will always be a fan of those blue cars.

RIP Mr. Tyrrell.

Last edited by EERO; 25 Aug 2001 at 14:41.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 14:47 (Ref:135739)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although all i had witnessed in Ken's F1 team is the final 3 years of Tyrell, and some public appearance he made, he strike me as a true likeable gentleman.

May he rest in peace, and my heart goes to his family.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 15:30 (Ref:135747)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. A true legend of the sport.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 18:21 (Ref:135780)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the info, Steve.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 20:26 (Ref:135811)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Great Man. A really sad day. Enough said. RIP Ken
Old 25 Aug 2001, 22:42 (Ref:135880)   #16
Ferrari Girl
Rookie

Ferrari Girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Ken
Thoughts and prayers go to the family.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 22:56 (Ref:135882)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Ken

Your name will forever be a pert of motor racing history.

Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 23:36 (Ref:135893)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Very sad..May God bless your soul..
Old 26 Aug 2001, 00:55 (Ref:135917)   #19
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm so sorry to hear of Uncle Ken's passing. My heartfelt condolences to his friends and family......rest in peace
Old 26 Aug 2001, 00:57 (Ref:135918)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a happier note, he's probably catching up with James Hunt,Fangio,
Senna and the rest of the crowd who are no longer with us. What a terrible blow to his family and friends, my sincere condolences go out to them during this horrible time in their lives .

Last edited by Alan Jones; 26 Aug 2001 at 00:57.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 01:37 (Ref:135928)   #21
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remeber watching Alesi in the Tyrell battleing with Senna in Mclaren battle for the USA GP in I think 1990 and thinking how great it would be if Tyrell were to become a force in GP's again. Ken Tyrell a man who could trully be called Natures Gentleman.

R.I.P
Old 26 Aug 2001, 03:58 (Ref:135947)   #22
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. Ken you will be missed..........................
Old 26 Aug 2001, 04:39 (Ref:135955)   #23
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to pay some tributes to Ken Tyrrel....
Rest in Peace...

PS: I loved those 6 wheel cars of yours Ken.... and the X-wings...
Old 26 Aug 2001, 07:47 (Ref:135977)   #24
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 26 Aug 2001, 08:28 (Ref:135983)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not many words could express the sadness that everyone, fans, the F1 community and Ken's family would be feeling at this time.

Ken, you will be missed.

Another legend has passed.