Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Mar 2002, 06:32 (Ref:234794)   #1
Rotary
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rotary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morgan Park

I see there's a round of the Qld State Champ. at Morgan Park, has anyone been out there before? What's it like? I've heard they have night racing out there too, anyone know if the state championship round will be under lights?
Old 14 Mar 2002, 09:19 (Ref:234849)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah, the state championship won't be held under lights, but on the new 2.2km extension.

Originally the track started out life as an 800m long dirt circuit. Then lights were added, and the track was paved. It was fantastic, it had bits and pieces off Phillip Island, Sandown, and Mallala incorporated in it (in a scaled down way of course).

Then the track was extended to 1.1km, with an extnsion to the front straight, a right hand kink, a right hand hairpiny sort of corner, and a left hand sweeper.

The track will now be extended again, with a very interesting looking extension out the back by the riffle range. When construction is finished, the circuit could be set up for 5 different conifgurations, with two circuits capable of being run at the same time.

Also the pits are being upgraded, and there will be a pedestrian overpass in place to spectators can still access XXXX Hill ().

Basically the place is booked out until the end of the year, with a lot of short circuit touring car events, sprints (last year's series became so huge that the organisers had to split it into two different segments. There is even a sprint series for Grp N cars etc). They also have mini enduros, with driver changes etc, and of course night races.

The best bit is that entry fees for this sort of event are in the $40 dollar ball park, with is utterly brillant value. Also, those who have raced out there can testify what a brilliant atmosphere it is...

The complex out there is sensational- not only is there the racing circuit, but there is also a 1/8th mile drag track next door, and all manner of dirt racing, motor cross etc (i think they might even have mud pulling).

I know Tom Horton does a lot of testing out there- I suppose that might explain why his car handles so well. Also, Shane Beikoff and Phil Foster are starting up a V8 Supercar ride business out there... so the place is pretty much going off
Old 16 Mar 2002, 00:17 (Ref:236076)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sure going ahead... the 1.1 km extension was through an orchard area, wasn't it?

But for the most part, it's good old Aussie scrub country, real country atmosphere.

With the loss of Lakeside, this is great news, and will bring more competitors from a wider area to enjoy the sport as well.

Not only that, it's 135km closer to Sydney for the drivers from there to come up, and presents easier logistics for them when they get there... motels closer and easier, the city not so big to find their way around. Even KFC stands out right on the corner...
Old 16 Mar 2002, 00:22 (Ref:236079)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heheh...

Lakeside gone? I think Morgan Park and Lakeside are kind of switching roles. In the past MP was mainly used for sprints etc for normal circuit racing cars, bu that now looks like all Lakeside will be capable of.

To be honest I don't know. When I first went down there, the first extension had been pegged out in a clearing, but it was some time until they layed the extra 300m. Imust admit I never walked too much further than the toilet block at the top of the hill, but it seemed to be fairly dense scrub.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 05:52 (Ref:236194)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

I think their enthusiasm and courage is great, knowing, of course, that the local council is right behind them.

Be great to see this completed and then have them press on with an extension to 3.2kms!
Old 16 Mar 2002, 09:42 (Ref:236266)   #6
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is fantastic news, it's just a pity that it is even futher away from me than both Lakeside and QR. A circuit about 200 Klm north of Brisy would be good, but I know that I am only dreaming. Dreams are free but unfortunately race circuits aren't.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 03:47 (Ref:241314)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I raced there twice in the Datsun, it's a great little track, lots of fun, very busy and very tight. I didn't use top gear.

It certainly gives the little cars a real chance. We had a round of the Historic Touring Car Club Championship on the 1.1km circuit and a Mini got pole. The fastest V8 was sixth on the grid.

I'm very impressed by the attitude and enthusiasm of the people behind it. Every penny the circuit makes goes straight back into making the place better, it doesn't line the pockets of some rich man.
Old 22 Mar 2002, 10:38 (Ref:241467)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The latest news is good- they are apparently 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule, and saved $30,000 when they acquired the road base for the extension for free. Also they have stitched up a deal with a company to provide tyre walls.

Eeeexcellent.... everything's falling into place
Old 24 Mar 2002, 04:38 (Ref:242654)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

That does sound good...