Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Sep 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2549818)   #1
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why seeing it live beats TV coverage

Making the trek down to PLM this year from NY, I must say even with the shortened race I'm not disappointed. I DVR'd the race and started watching when I got home yesterday. As we all know, the focus on TV coverage is usually for the overall lead, with good reason this year given the Peug vs Audi battle, but a couple of things TV can't capture that were amazing at the race:

Klauf's surge from pit lane to 1st place in P2 - unreal. That car was so composed in the conditions it was nuts. Seeing it pass the Peug gave an indication of its speed, but watching it's position from one place on the track. . . each lap it had advanced so much you would think the guy was taking a short cut in the middle of the track. It was awesome.

The other, Patrick Long was driving the #45 at 11/10ths! The turn after Scott Sharp's huge crash. . . when Long came over the curbing the car would bottom out and slide about 8 feet - he was about 10 mph faster than the otehr GT2 cars heading into the esses. One lap he almost lost it and slid like 15 feet sideways leaving two nice strips!

I brought a buddy to his first live race and he was not disappointed.

Can't wait for Lime Rock 2010!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2549848)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
One word .....SOUND !!!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2549864)   #3
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other issues that grab my attention is that the cars are much smaller in person than they appear on TV. The nature of the long head-on shot down the straight, followed by the stretching effect as it turns creates a situation where the cars seem to visually stretch out on TV. The Lola is pretty small in particular.

The other thing everyone who has ever been to a natural terrain road course is the significant elevation changes. There are some very steep hills at Road Atlanta.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2549880)   #4
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
The other issues that grab my attention is that the cars are much smaller in person than they appear on TV. The nature of the long head-on shot down the straight, followed by the stretching effect as it turns creates a situation where the cars seem to visually stretch out on TV. The Lola is pretty small in particular.

The other thing everyone who has ever been to a natural terrain road course is the significant elevation changes. There are some very steep hills at Road Atlanta.
We were standing at the 'valley' of the esses, right after crossing that stream with the saplings for a bridge, and he said "this track is a ski mountain!

And yes, sound is easily the best part of the experience. I loved when the cars were out of site on the straight yet you could still hear them at full throttle.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2549898)   #5
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sound, smell and atmoshpere is why seeing it live is better.

or if its rallying then i always like to think getting hit by gravel adds to the experience!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2549937)   #6
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Last year we sat at the end of the esses for awhile and it was pretty cool of the diesels to come in quiet, go over the curbing with their right wheels making a long brrrrap sound and then leave in near silence after they got off the curb. Its a great place to watch.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2550162)   #7
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tv cannot replicate any of the sounds nor can it replicate the viewing angles that spectators get. I will take standing in the woods in the braking zone going into turn 5 at Road America any day over a grandstand seat at any oval in the world.

There is nothing like seeing Jon Field trying to out drag and Audi up the hill.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 01:55 (Ref:2550189)   #8
DanShenise
Racer

United States
What's an oval?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 02:50 (Ref:2550200)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Hmm, based on Brooklands and the second iteration of Trenton, I think the definition is still being worked out.

Sorry, but isn't the run to Turn 5 at Road America downhill? Now, the run out of Turn 14 along the start/finish straight is uphill. In fact, my desktop is a picture we took of the field forming up at the bottom of the hill for the start of the Road America race in 2007.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2550214)   #10
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Hmm, based on Brooklands and the second iteration of Trenton, I think the definition is still being worked out.

Sorry, but isn't the run to Turn 5 at Road America downhill? Now, the run out of Turn 14 along the start/finish straight is uphill. In fact, my desktop is a picture we took of the field forming up at the bottom of the hill for the start of the Road America race in 2007.
Sorry, I meant going up the hill to turn 6.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2550242)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rocky View Post
x2 The sound of the vettes (both types) and Panoz made me smile every time they went past. Bloody awesome
Old 29 Sep 2009, 05:28 (Ref:2550250)   #12
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Adelaide back in 2000, sight, sound and feel!!!

To this day, best ever race meeting I have ever been too!!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2550610)   #13
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Yeah, turn 5 is basically a valley. I wonder how much water was standing there on Saturday.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2550631)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rocky View Post
It is difficult to replicate the port-o-lets and bathrooms at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
Yeah, turn 5 is basically a valley. I wonder how much water was standing there on Saturday.
A crapload. You should have seen the water running through the infield Saturday morning.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2550668)   #15
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to agree. Even though I spent a couple hours yesterday drying out and cleaning the red dirt off of all my camping gear, it was well worth the trip.

The sensation of speed at Road Atlanta is simply amazing to watch in person. I highly recommend it.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2550926)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

A crapload. You should have seen the water running through the infield Saturday morning.
not to mention the water running through the tents of have the spectators, I even saw a few people digging trenches to try and prevent the saturday rain from ruining their saturday pm camping.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 01:45 (Ref:2550934)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
not to mention the water running through the tents of have the spectators, I even saw a few people digging trenches to try and prevent the saturday rain from ruining their saturday pm camping.
I saw that too Joe. This is Josh. Hope you had a smooth ride home.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 04:24 (Ref:2550959)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
who's shovel was that? i may bring a mini excavator next year.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2551035)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It is always better to be there than sitting watching it on the tv even if it is live, whatever form of motorsport you are watching a TV can not replicate the atmosphere, excitment, sounds, smells, confusion (even with radios and screens) but the best point of being there is that you can converse with like minded fans and all the other people who have made the effort to support motor racing rather than letting it disapear into history.

You can't be at every race but everyone should attend some races that way everyone can see the other races on the TV. If no one goes then motor racing will slowly die.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2551039)   #20
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another thing tv can never show properly is the speed-watching the Audis & Pugs through Becketts at Silverstone last year was awesome. I marshalled the LMS race at Silverstone this year & was on the pit straight-having the cars pass a few feet away at about 180mph was pretty special.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2551198)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sight sound and feel, having you're ear drums bored out by a C6R, Judd V10 and those glorious Aston Martin Lola's is great, i was media at silverstone LMS this year sat in front of the fencing at maggots eating my pasta, Lapierre in the Oreca got one hell of a tankslapper on at about 140-150mph at the apex of Maggots and watching the Pescarolo scythe through there as well, noticeable quicker and more planted than anything else was a sight to behold, plus, sitting just before Bridge corner, with the car's blasting past about 1-3 feet away just takes you're breath away, the Vette and the Spyker were savage at LMS, the Ford GT1's of matech were just brutal though, deafening V8 thunder.
Then you have that lovely oily, hot exhaust smell which i always get from Silverstone for some reason, i just cant believe i have to wait until May to get my Sports car fix again