Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3016308)   #1201
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrea Caldarelli test Toyota LMP1 car?
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3016311)   #1202
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God, im in love now
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3016313)   #1203
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Overhead shot makes it look somewhat sexy...

Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3016314)   #1204
evanPGH
Rookie

United States
evanPGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
TS030, capacitors, maybe four wheel drive, lots of data here: http://bit.ly/wBnTRy
Shameless plug sorry!

The car looks superb, lots of F1 cues and data. Its really gonna fly, can't wait to see it run in the morning
Awesome post!

Thanks!
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3016317)   #1205
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanPGH View Post
Awesome post!

Thanks!

Everyone should read the Racecar Engineering link, great info and answers some questions we all had. Getting a better perspective of the overall design makes it look much better than the original "leaked" pictures.

+ "all new and as yet unseen v8 engine"
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3016321)   #1206
evanPGH
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Everyone should read the Racecar Engineering link, great info and answers some questions we all had. Getting a better perspective of the overall design makes it look much better than the original "leaked" pictures.

Completely agree. After seeing the whole thing I think it's a pretty good looking car. The headlights are growing on me and they're definitely unique.

Even the massive dorsal fin doesn't look too out of place given the proportions of the car.

I love how the cockpit is less "bubble" like than other prototypes we've seen, it just sorta flows with the rest of the car.

I'd also love to see the lightning bolts make it to the final race livery - nice touch.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3016336)   #1207
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I could have sworn there was an initial statement which suggested a revised version of the TMG 3.4L V8 (used by Rebellion) would be employed - evidently, that isn't the case.

This is all beginning to look very professional. Can't say I'd expected any less, though.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3016337)   #1208
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love it! Can not wait to see this turn a wheel in anger at LM and I'm SO thankful that there will be two of them. Sense has prevailed.

Also thanks to Sam for the great article on RE.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3016342)   #1209
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I wonder when they'll have to actually pass the ACO's "hybrid" test of 450 m at 60 kph under electric power only.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3016343)   #1210
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I wonder when they'll have to actually pass the ACO's "hybrid" test of 450 m at 60 kph under electric power only.

LeMans "test day" - like Hope last year I would think
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3016346)   #1211
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lemans test day - like Hope last year I would think
Yeah, but the test day last year was in April. This year it's 2 weeks before Le Mans and the Toyota is scheduled to run at Spa as well.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3016353)   #1212
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car looks amazing...

If I can i will punche in the face the guy ´s responsable for Peugeot absence.

Seriously now, the aero features between the front fender and the tub are clearly an interim car ( see pics in Racecar Engineering".

I thought, for the hybrid system, which was not allowed to 4WD, but...

The Press release clearly demonstrates an invitation to other Japanese brands to join them, and a challenge to AUDI dominance
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3016354)   #1213
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Good to hear that WURZ is comparing this to the 908, and 908 Hybrid. He says it compared to the 908 it produces good downforce already, and there is MORE TO COME. Amazing. On top of it he says that the hybrid system is a little bigger but can store much more power than the 908 Hy, and is much more potent. All good info, plus the car is basically still in roll out trim. But the front splitter has been tested in two variations. This is shaping up to be a good car. Can't wait till Spa.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3016358)   #1214
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
I thought, for the hybrid system, which was not allowed to 4WD, but...
4WD is allowed, but only if it means that solely the engine drives the rear wheels and solely the electric motors drive the front wheels.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3016361)   #1215
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
4WD is allowed, but only if it means that solely the engine drives the rear wheels and solely the electric motors drive the front wheels.
Thanks
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3016364)   #1216
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The real question is are there any members on the forum willing to step forward and join TF110 as the 'Toyota army' - defending them no matter what so we can resume the entertaining battles the Audi/Pug era gave us...
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3016366)   #1217
evanPGH
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Good to hear that WURZ is comparing this to the 908, and 908 Hybrid. He says it compared to the 908 it produces good downforce already, and there is MORE TO COME. Amazing.
I was very excited about this too. The 908s were usually the quickest through the twisties at La Sarthe so for him to compare the grip of the TS030 to the early 908 is a great sign.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3016370)   #1218
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He drove the latest 908, but also drove the Hybrid as well. He said that Toyota's system is more powerful, if but a little heavier. 500kj limit making Toyota upset! They wanted at least 1MJ from their Super Capacitor. I wonder, by putting the system in the 'passenger seat' would this allow for better/even weight distribution since the driver is probably equally as heavy as the Hybrid storage system? And this shot right here looks VERY similar to the TS020-

Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3016372)   #1219
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The real question is are there any members on the forum willing to step forward and join TF110 as the 'Toyota army' - defending them no matter what so we can resume the entertaining battles the Audi/Pug era gave us...
I'll surely be rooting for them, the last thing we need is Audi running circles around everybody.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3016375)   #1220
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
because of budget and know-how, i had no doubts that toyota was able to build a car with a top aero efficency, maybe even better than audi r18 one. But the problem for petrol powered car is always the same... the engine! even if the rv8kLM engine born as a mid-high rev engine (the "standard" rv8k is a high rev engine for formula nippon), it will have a torque that is much more less than what audi engine can release (i have serious doubts that rv8k can release more than 525Nm, the audi/peugeot in 2011 were able to pass 850Nm). This actualy makes the difference at LM and in other track with high medium speed! for this reason i don't expect that toyota will beat audi cars at LM until the diesel engines ban.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3016386)   #1221
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
TS030

Man this car looks so menacing. i wasnt into those headlights, hopefully they will change over the course but right now they may as well have called it sentinel prime lol. its kinda growing in me. do you guys see the formula one links in there? i thought at one point that the steering wheel came straight from from the TF109 or the 108

Last edited by tyronnezx; 24 Jan 2012 at 20:18. Reason: spelling
Old 24 Jan 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3016388)   #1222
evanPGH
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He drove the latest 908, but also drove the Hybrid as well. He said that Toyota's system is more powerful, if but a little heavier. 500kj limit making Toyota upset! They wanted at least 1MJ from their Super Capacitor. I wonder, by putting the system in the 'passenger seat' would this allow for better/even weight distribution since the driver is probably equally as heavy as the Hybrid storage system? And this shot right here looks VERY similar to the TS020-

Yes and yes. I was hoping this car would be the TS020's spiritual successor and I couldn't be happier.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3016393)   #1223
ais
Rookie

ais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool . Pleasant surprise to see an "all-new" V8. I figured that Toyota used the V8 last year merely for testing in the Rebellion cars and for data collection.

Also no surprise they are using supercapacitors. Using batteries absolutely makes no sense, and the Supra HV-R system used supercapacitors as well. We can only cross our fingers and hope one day Toyota makes a production hybrid sports car using supercapacitors.

Also no surprise that the bodywork is only temporary, and the car will be more evolved by the time it races in May. I believe the headlamp assembly is temporary as well, and we will see more evolved headlamps on the final car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
because of budget and know-how, i had no doubts that toyota was able to build a car with a top aero efficency, maybe even better than audi r18 one. But the problem for petrol powered car is always the same... the engine! even if the rv8kLM engine born as a mid-high rev engine (the "standard" rv8k is a high rev engine for formula nippon), it will have a torque that is much more less than what audi engine can release (i have serious doubts that rv8k can release more than 525Nm, the audi/peugeot in 2011 were able to pass 850Nm). This actualy makes the difference at LM and in other track with high medium speed! for this reason i don't expect that toyota will beat audi cars at LM until the diesel engines ban.
You're forgetting one huge aspect; regardless of how much torque the new 3.4L V8 produces, the KEY will be the hybrid system. The hybrid system in use here (based upon the one the Supra HV-R used) can fire off huge amounts of torque instantaneously to the wheels. Back when the Supra HV-R won the 24 hours of Tokachi race, competitors and industry people were taken by surprise. The Supra HV-R had unreal corner exit speeds, that none of the other cars in the field came close to.

Yes, the ACO has a limit in terms of how much energy that the hybrid system can output, but it is a high limit, and a significant amount of energy output at the limit if used optimally in corner exit situations.

Pascal Vasselon himself said that the key factors for their car will be aerodynamics and the hybrid system.

Toyota obviously knows they cannot match the Audi's torque with a petrol engine alone. But combined with their hybrid system, don't be surprised to see the Toyota exceed the Audi's torque, and also don't be surprised to see the Toyotas be the fastest cars in corner exiting at La Sarthe.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3016396)   #1224
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
HP makes for higher top speeds, Torque improves acceleration. A hybrid system gives instant torque, so it'll negate a lot of that advantage of a diesel. And obviously Toyota knows this. You speak of the RV8K, but this isn't that engine. Racecar Engineering article even says this is a brand new engine but same displacement and cylinder count. Why don't you hold off judgement until they actually race. Then we'll see if their Super Capacitors can challenge Audi's diesel.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3016397)   #1225
ais
Rookie

ais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool . Pleasant surprise to see an "all-new" V8. I figured that Toyota used the V8 last year merely for testing in the Rebellion cars and for data collection.

Also no surprise they are using supercapacitors. Using batteries absolutely makes no sense, and the Supra HV-R system used supercapacitors as well. We can only cross our fingers and hope one day Toyota makes a production hybrid sports car using supercapacitors.

Also no surprise that the bodywork is only temporary, and the car will be more evolved by the time it races in May. I believe the headlamp assembly is temporary as well, and we will see more evolved headlamps on the final car.

Quote:
You're forgetting one huge aspect; regardless of how much torque the new 3.4L V8 produces, the KEY will be the hybrid system. The hybrid system in use here (based upon the one the Supra HV-R used) can fire off huge amounts of torque instantaneously to the wheels. Back when the Supra HV-R won the 24 hours of Tokachi race, competitors and industry people were taken by surprise. The Supra HV-R had unreal corner exit speeds, that none of the other cars in the field came close to.

Yes, the ACO has a limit in terms of how much energy that the hybrid system can output, but it is a very high limit, and a significant amount of energy output at the limit if used optimally in corner exit situations.

Pascal Vasselon himself said that the key factors for their car will be aerodynamics and the hybrid system.

Toyota obviously knows they cannot match the Audi's torque with a petrol alone. But combined with their hybrid system, don't be surprised to see the Toyota exceed the Audi's torque, and also don't be surprised to see the Toyota be the fastest car in corner exiting at La Sarthe.