Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Jun 2000, 18:46 (Ref:19870)   #26
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Good point - a rollcage is a must. You only get one life (depending on your religion ) so it would be foolhardy/ unbelievably stupid to risk it.

With such a small wheelbase and high centre of gravity, surely it would be a piece of **** to tip the whole thing over? You'd probably be killed at 70mph, let alone 200. I don't think anyone has a scoop big enough to pry your remains from the tarmac...
Old 28 Jun 2000, 08:04 (Ref:19904)   #27
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TKM81 i'd be interested in some info on this Owen's bloke and his bodywork as we intend to build our own,got any pics or a site to look at
Old 28 Jun 2000, 10:37 (Ref:19917)   #28
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has to be a fine line between the description of a kart, and a LSR device. I have in my mind one of those reclined-seating postion 'cigar' tubes; the sort used by universities and large petroleum companies on economy runs.
The description of a kart witha screen and a cage is stretching things. In order to fit the cage, and keep it low enough to avoid major air resistance (AR) and high centre of gravity (CoG), the driver would need to recline to the point of laying down, not unlike the previously mentioned LSR vehicles. Is there a recognised kart 'format' within which TKM's little machine can be built?

Tyres - Warwick's point - could be the biggest problem.
Most peoples idea of a kart is a small-wheeled open vehicle with exposed engine and driver. To find tyres that would satisfy the aesthetics of a kart format, yet still be capable of withstanding the forces of 200mph, would most likely be custom built.
I seem to remember reading the feature on the Fireblade-powered Zipkart I mentioned way back. The poor 'pilot' (!) had trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground over 100mph. Too much lift resulted in no steering capability at all, which sort of 'self-regulated' the speed issue. Good job there were brakes on the back!

I wouldn't want to do this myself, without a cage of some description. Do you strap yourself in, or allow yourself to be thrown clear? Assuming a cage then, it would have to be very low and enclosed, to avoid the AR and CoG issues described. You might not need belts! The screen. I've never seen a kart with a screen, and suggest to include one would detract from the task. It would become more of an enclosed vehicle. Would it be possible to use a cylinder of oxygen, or pick up the air from a negative area on the vehicle (behind the seat?) I assume you will wear a crash helmet!!?

Bottom line - Try and get clarification from an authorised body as to the description of a kart. That must be the starting point.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 07:40 (Ref:20183)   #29
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the karts now are becoming quite sophisticated as regards body work and areodynamics,we have a rule book which gives us maximum track widths, lengths,wheelbases,heights etc,these differ from country to country in America in their enduro karts you are lying prone looking over your toes,in ours you can have a maximum layback of 30 degrees,highest recorded speed i can recall is 165mph by Martin Hines at Daytona in 1995(i think)and 162mph at Assen in 1992,on our shorter tracks(3.5km) we only hit about 130mph down the straight,of course more speed equals more drag and then you need more HP to overcome it.in a kart you also have no suspension so you would want a very good surface for a 200mph run,at 160kph in my kart i bounce over bumps you cant even feel in a car.