Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Oct 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3147574)   #1851
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is that a long way off? It hasn't been officially announced yet when they'll release the Corvette C7. It's not going to be 2012. So if it is released in 2013, then it's only 1 year. Porsche 991 GT3 RSR is a longer wait.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3147773)   #1852
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Doug Fehan of Corvette Racing confirmed at the Road America ALMS that they would not race the C7 until 2014.

David

And if I remember correctly, the Corvette Racing program has only been green-lighted through the end of 2013. Perhaps we'll see Corvettes and Camaros racing together in the new series in 2014.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3147775)   #1853
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
How is that a long way off? It hasn't been officially announced yet when they'll release the Corvette C7. It's not going to be 2012. So if it is released in 2013, then it's only 1 year.
The Corvette factory in Bowling Green, Kentucky stopped visitor tours in mid-September in order to begin converting the assembly line to the new Corvette. A credible source has said that the official press announcement will be at the Detroit Auto Show on January 17, 2013. Production of the new Corvette will apparently begin later in 2013 as a 2014 model.

If you want more details, I have assimilated much of the credible speculation HERE.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 7 Oct 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3147857)   #1854
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
And if I remember correctly, the Corvette Racing program has only been green-lighted through the end of 2013. Perhaps we'll see Corvettes and Camaros racing together in the new series in 2014.
Perhaps on the same track, but not in the same class. (Corvette Racing vs. tube frame Camaros, I mean.. yes I know both are in Grand Am GT)
Old 8 Oct 2012, 04:55 (Ref:3147996)   #1855
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
How is that a long way off? It hasn't been officially announced yet when they'll release the Corvette C7. It's not going to be 2012. So if it is released in 2013, then it's only 1 year. Porsche 991 GT3 RSR is a longer wait.
At least 17 months, if they race a C7R at Sebring in 2014, that's a long time for me!
Old 11 Oct 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3149906)   #1856
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
David? that seems like a VERY long time to switch tools? Jaguar Brown's Lane switched from XJ-S to XK in around 6 weeks, IIRC...
I cannot believe they are taking nearly a YEAR to re-tool a facility. That's just plain inefficient.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3149971)   #1857
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
David? that seems like a VERY long time to switch tools? Jaguar Brown's Lane switched from XJ-S to XK in around 6 weeks, IIRC...
I cannot believe they are taking nearly a YEAR to re-tool a facility. That's just plain inefficient.
"General Motors will be investing $131 million in the plant for upgrading tooling and machinery................"

It is apparently much more than a model changeover. As noted, they are doing some major tool and process upgrades and are apparently moving some previously outsourced operations in-house. They are also EXTREMELY security conscious and don't want anyone spotting even the stray C7 piece as they start to make the initial changeover plans.

Finally, of course, under no circumstances could we expect GM to be as efficient as Jaguar.....

Old 16 Oct 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3152976)   #1858
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
C7-R to be shown on Thursday.

Quote:
Look for the Corvette C7.R to be announced on Thursday at Road Atlanta
- From John Dagys

In re-reading John's tweet it say's announced, maybe it won't be shown.

Last edited by HJJ; 16 Oct 2012 at 17:47.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3153012)   #1859
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
AFAIK the roadcar C7 hasn't been unveiled so this will most probably be an announcement.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3153013)   #1860
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
C7-R to be shown on Thursday.

- From John Dagys

In re-reading John's tweet it say's announced, maybe it won't be shown.
I can't imagine they'd show the C7.R before the show the C7 at NAIAS in January...
Old 16 Oct 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3153027)   #1861
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Take a page from the Viper and race it while the road car makes its appearance the same year. Well, I can only hope.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3172415)   #1862
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was digging through some of my old IMSA GTP memorabilia the other day and found this nice fold-out poster of the GTP Corvette. I am including the image from the back of the pamphlet because it has a cool overlay of the GTP vs the street Vette. I would love to see a similar workup of the Vette DP and current street model. If you guys want to see more of this pamphlet I can try and figure out a way to scan it.
Attached Thumbnails
Corvette GTP018.jpg  
Old 28 Nov 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3172566)   #1863
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was digging through some of my old IMSA GTP memorabilia the other day and found this nice fold-out poster of the GTP Corvette. I am including the image from the back of the pamphlet because it has a cool overlay of the GTP vs the street Vette. I would love to see a similar workup of the Vette DP and current street model. If you guys want to see more of this pamphlet I can try and figure out a way to scan it.
Excellent info, thanks for posting. I for one would very much like to see more of the pamphlet.

Old 30 Nov 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3173335)   #1864
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is the next set of images from the Corvette GTP pamphlet:
Attached Thumbnails
Corvette GTP2019.jpg   Corvette GTP3020.jpg   Corvette GTP4021.jpg  

Old 30 Nov 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3173336)   #1865
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Here are the last 4 pieces of the puzzle.You have to use your imagination to put a couple of the pieces together, but trust me it looks pretty good in the flesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Corvette GTP5022.jpg   Corvette GTP6023.jpg   Corvette GTP7024.jpg  

Corvette GTP8025.jpg  
Old 30 Nov 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3173504)   #1866
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
Excellent scans, thanks very much. I may have to do a print, cut and paste just to see it in proper perspective!

Regards,

Old 7 Dec 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3176199)   #1867
Tzyghan
Rookie

Poland
Rzeszów
Tzyghan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can't imagine they'd show the C7.R before the show the C7 at NAIAS in January...
Competition with BMW says much about C7.R. With new Z4 GTE for RLL Team, new C7.R at Sebring 2014 is just a formality...
Old 7 Dec 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3176244)   #1868
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if they were debuted together at the NAIAS.

L.P.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3176306)   #1869
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since the C7.R is on the way I thought I would go ahead and drop theses in here also, 2013 GTE rules (adjustments to 2012) from the FIA.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...09.2012%29.pdf

L.P.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3176312)   #1870
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Here is the next set of images from the Corvette GTP pamphlet:
Very good. Like those! Thanks.

I was at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green this summer and saw the Corvette GTP #52 there on loan from GM. Here's the text from the display in front of the car...

Did you know…

Chevrolet initiated the project with the promise that the mid-engined GTP car had to maintain a resemblance of the bodywork of the production car. 1985 yielded little as the Corvette saw breaking engines and gearboxes. One bright spot was the Daytona Finale where van der Merwe scored pole position at 1-minute.38.883 seconds (time was blurry in photo).

1986 was better with two wins plus seven pole positions and three lap records. Although the V6's achieved over 1000HP in qualifying trim, the necessary electronic engine management was lacking, resulting in engine destroying detonation.

For 1987, the turbo charged engines faced a 3-liter limit and an advanced production based engine management system made by Chevrolet was tried. Sadly, it was a failure as the engines proved to be just too thirsty. Even Lotus-developed active suspension was tried but, although conferring an advantage, it too failed, needing development.

In 1988, Elliott Forbes-Robinson took Doc Bundy's place beside van der Merwe and the Hendrich Team used a T711 chassis now fitted with a normally aspirated Chevrolet V8 engine built by Randy Dorton and using a revised electronic management system. Sadly other GTP cars were superior and Hendrick closed the operation at the end of the year.

On loan from General Motors Corporation
Old 7 Dec 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3176330)   #1871
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Here are the last 4 pieces of the puzzle.You have to use your imagination to put a couple of the pieces together, but trust me it looks pretty good in the flesh.
Thanks Joe, I think I saw that run at Daytona this year.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3178659)   #1872
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LT1 info from Road & Track .

Displacement remains at 6.2L
4.4" bore spacing .
11.5:1 compression ratio.
Piston cooling jets from the LSA now standard on all Gen 5's ,
Direct injection that runs off a cam lobe .
Variable valve timing that can advance or retard the cam 62 degree's.
Cylinder deactivation which GM calls Active fuel management (V4).
Dry sump is standard but higher models get a dry sump.
GM is promising 450hp and 450 ft-lb.

Corvette to continue kicking heads in 2014 with the C7R. Just wondering if they're going to try and get a DI version of the LS5.5R for next season in the C6.R....
Old 14 Dec 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3178680)   #1873
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post

4.4" bore spacing .

Corvette to continue kicking heads in 2014 with the C7R. Just wondering if they're going to try and get a DI version of the LS5.5R for next season in the C6.R....
I was curious about that as well. I'm thinking that the smaller displacement engine will provide them with a better power band with the restrictor.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3178726)   #1874
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Direct injection that runs off a cam lobe.
Is this how Audi, Peugeot and others do it? I thought that the control was all electronic.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3178750)   #1875
lucky snake
Rookie

lucky snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

4.4" bore spacing .

didn't they use this function on the c6r in 2007 le mans during caution periods? if i'm not wrong this created issues with the drive shaft causing the retirment of the car. If 450hp and 610Nm are promised for the road C7 isn't so far from the performances of a LS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I was curious about that as well. I'm thinking that the smaller displacement engine will provide them with a better power band with the restrictor.
more or less is the idea that callaway had for the 2012 Z06 GT3 powered by a 6.2L and not anymore by the LS7 7.0L. But as happened in the reality ADAC didn't care about it and progressively reduced the dimension of the restrictor (starting from 1x64, reducing to 1x58, then 1x55 and 1x54 at the end).