Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Apr 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1595400)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's in your bag/what do you take to events?

Pros and amateurs please!

I have one Jessops bag (not sure what it's called, but large holdall sized thing), which contains one D100 (with grip), one D2H (latest toy!), one Sigma 10-20mm lens, one Sigma 28-70mm lens, one SB600 flash, small compact camera bag for memory cards and batteries, portable hard drive, various cleaning materials (blower, brush, lens cloth), and various lens caps. There's usually various paperwork stuffed in there too, or prints. Oh, and a small purple bear that I found on an airfield in Cambridge at a rally last year. It's for luck!

Then I have a Nikon 80-200mm lens in it's own case, Nikon 300mm lens it's own case, then my laptop bag with laptop, A4 folder with pens and paper, and various chargers.

I don't carry that around all day (!), but it can be a struggle getting it all from the car to the media centre or wherever!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1595610)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you asked so nicely Mike......

Carry (dependant on circuit)
All Canon
1DmkIIN, 20D with grip, 400mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 17-40mm f4L, 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, 2x 580EX flashes, CP-E3 compact battery pack (for 580EX's)
....plus Sigma 8mm f4, spare CF and SD cards, Manfrotto 449 monopod

In car
Peli 1620 case, with spare 20D with grip, spare batteries for cameras and flashguns, Canon 24-70 f2.8L, monster cleaning kit, laptop, card readers etc., Manfrotto 055MF4 Magfibre tripod with 322RC2 ball head.

I agree entirely with you on the subject of carrying to media centres - sometimes negotiating stairs can be a real pain. I used to be 6' 7", but carrying all that kit has reduced me to the 5' 9" fat blob you may occasionally spot at the track (or in other peoples photo's, as has been the case here recently)

BTW, when did you get the D2H, and what do you think of it? I know someone who is interested in buying one, but can't make his mind up (....can you Pigit)
Old 26 Apr 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1595617)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went for a LowePro ruck-sac instead of a bag, easier for carrying food and wet weather gear around, as well as well as my other bits and bobs. I carry a 10D with Grip, Canon 70-300 F4 - F5.6 IS and 28-105, a 430EX Flashgun.

Then there is all the normally stuff spare lens caps, blower, cleaning kit and spare battries and memory cards etc. Oh how can forget the rdjones Mk1 rain cover. I the car there is a tripod and a monopod.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1595632)   #4
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recenly got a LowePro ruck-sac as well its great - I find it more convenient than a bag. It usually carries my 20D with grip, 70-200mm f4L and an 18-200mm. I always carry two spare batteries and plenty of memory cards.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1595739)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Not that I'm too bothered what you all have in your bags but some dodgy person/s out would love to know what you have in there and whilst I'd hope that most people who read these postings are the nicest of people there maybe some who are the very opposite. These will now know what you have kept in your homes and are now getting a load of mates together and a big van and are now looking up addresses...think before you post!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1595742)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PS: Currently looking-up Hubbles ad' as theres a few bits there I wouldn't mind....
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1595767)   #7
Iwantacaterham
Rookie

Iwantacaterham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point Snapper.. I lost a gadgetbag to some scumbag while distracted a few years back & stick to rucksacks now. Harder to seperate or sneak away while I'm concentrating. For landscapes, it's a little safer cos I doubt anyone could snatch my Sinar without me noticing, or get very far with it
Old 27 Apr 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1595878)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
BTW, when did you get the D2H, and what do you think of it? I know someone who is interested in buying one, but can't make his mind up (....can you Pigit)
Today! So I haven't had a lot of chance to play with it yet. First impressions are very good though, it just "feels" a lot more solid and pro than a D70/100 etc. Going to try it out trackside on Friday, aswell as Sunday, and possibly Monday.

I've been thinking about one for a long time, start of the year really, and it's quite a big investment for me. But, I can cover it, and I think if you can afford it, it's good to have the big, fast pro kit (many may disagree, and say it's the photographer, not the equipment. I'm writing some articles for my website, and one will be on this subject...). A second body is always useful aswell, as a backup, and saves so much lens changing etc.

I read a lot of stuff on the D2H (can't afford an X or Hs!), and most was favourable. Certainly it is apparently MUCH faster than the D100, although I haven't tried the 8fps burst yet... and obviously being newer, and a "pro" body there should be numerous other improvements. Only downside is the 4.1mp resolution, but most people seem to say it's not too much of an issue. I believe it is possible to enlarge to quite a degree with software if needed, and the overall quality is better than the 6.1mp D100/70/50 range. So long as I don't need to significantly crop an image, it should be fine. That's down to technique aswell, plus I'm not a fan of big crops anyway!

The only thing that does worry me, is that the only really issue with the D2H is that it's prone to meter failure. Nikon will fix it free of charge, and apparently it's not an issue once it has been done, but I'd rather not have to send it off for a few days/weeks, particularly if it does exceed expectations. But, if it does happen, they will fix it for you FOC, as I said. Apparently they'll clean the sensor aswell!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 05:34 (Ref:1595935)   #9
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack containing

20D + Grip
10D + Grip
Sigma 100-300 F4 (attached to the 20D)
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Sigma 500DG Super Flash
CompactDrive PD70X Portable Storage Device
3 x BP-511 batteries
2 x set of 4 AA Batteries
2 x 1GB CF cards (plus 2GB in the 20D, and 1GB in the 10D)
Blower, Lens Cloth, Pocket knife, pen, sunscreen, couple of muesli bars and a bottle of water/gatorade

In the media centre will be my laptop, monopod (rarely used), battery charger, heavy rain jacket etc
Old 27 Apr 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1595942)   #10
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
The only thing that does worry me, is that the only really issue with the D2H is that it's prone to meter failure. Nikon will fix it free of charge, and apparently it's not an issue once it has been done, but I'd rather not have to send it off for a few days/weeks, particularly if it does exceed expectations. But, if it does happen, they will fix it for you FOC, as I said. Apparently they'll clean the sensor aswell!

The D2H is a good camera you WILL need to clean the sensor regularly and this can ONLY be done on mains power. I don’t know anybody who has had meter failure but Nikon will fix it FOC. The a few issues with the D2H the biggest issue with the it is it's noisy above 400 asa this is resolved in the D2Hs and the D2X. Some Sigma lenses need rechipping at the factory to “track” correctly and firmware update 2 needs installing from the Nikon website. I've used two now as my main digital bodies for a few years battery life is great I shot 10 GB of images at Le Mans last week on one charge. Any questions Mike I be at Snet from Friday so give me a shout.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 06:25 (Ref:1595945)   #11
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to have a small purple bear in mine for luck but it went missing at a rally in Cambridge...what a bad year I've had since.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1596109)   #12
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
Not that I'm too bothered what you all have in your bags but some dodgy person/s out would love to know what you have in there and whilst I'd hope that most people who read these postings are the nicest of people there maybe some who are the very opposite. These will now know what you have kept in your homes and are now getting a load of mates together and a big van and are now looking up addresses...think before you post!
Mits off Baz!! Anyway, I have my house booby-trapped. Just last week I blew up the postman and electrocuted the window cleaner!!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1596112)   #13
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm i carry hardly anything compared to you guys , hats off to you lot. I take a small holdel that contains my camera (Konica Minolta 5D), 70-300mm Sigma lense and 28-75 Minolta Lense. This also holds a spare battery and lense caps etc. I also carry with me a point and click Nikon L2 which i have attached to my belt in a LowePro pouch.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1596221)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
Any questions Mike I be at Snet from Friday so give me a shout.
Cool, I'll see you there! I'll be there all day Friday, and possibly Sunday/Monday aswell.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1596488)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Ah yes Hubble, but vee haff vays...a word in a friendly marshals ear and you wouldn't know it had gone
Old 27 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1596554)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just reading this and thinking next meeting bugger the photography I'm robbbing some cars
Old 27 Apr 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1596587)   #17
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I was just reading this and thinking next meeting bugger the photography I'm robbbing some cars
Best be quick then Paul.......as soon as I arrive all the good stuff is either draped off my person or stashed in the media centre
Old 28 Apr 2006, 06:25 (Ref:1596701)   #18
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
I did the Le Mans moto with what piglet calls the "cut down" kit, so here goes this is everything that travelled not just what I carried around :-

In the Peli 1620 case D2H, 12-24, 28-80, 80-200, 500, X2 converter, Mono pod, pack of filters, flash gun, phototainer, 10 x 2GB cards, laptop, 12v inverter, high speed DVD writer, 25 DVD's 25 CD's and In the LoPro bag all the assorted chargers and mains supply’s with cables, and Cleaning Kit, I had the use of two more bodies D2X and D2Hs and every lens from 8mm to 600 F4 if needed courtesy of NPS France.

I would normally take when I have room an F5 and 100 roles of film and medium format kit and portable studio lighting but room was a little tight, I was stopping off at Calais Vins on the way back so could not pack the car full for the trip out.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1596778)   #19
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t know anybody who has had meter failure .
Yes you do....
Old 28 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1596846)   #20
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
I was stopping off at Calais Vins on the way back so could not pack the car full for the trip out.
The most important bit!

Take a van next time...
Old 2 May 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1599331)   #21
Dave Burnham
Rookie

England
Rugby,Warkwickshire, England
Dave Burnham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find this most interesting, but to you guys using bags, have you considered that the weight you are carrying around could be straining shoulder/neck muscles and possibly causing long-term spinal damge?
I was at Mallory on April 23 and could not move my neck for days afterwards and I do not carry as much gear as a lot of you do! Admittedly I have a neck injury (fused vertebrae) and a damaged spine from playing Rugby, but none of you guys seem to utilise a camera vest to spread the load around your body, is there a reason for this?
I hope that its a personal choice as I have just spent £100+ on a Tamrac vest to help stop this problem, it gets its debut on Saturday at Silverstone so here's hoping.
Sorry to make my first post here such a long one but please be aware of the possible effects in later life that carrying all this gear over a shoulder could cause.
Old 2 May 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1599384)   #22
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
The most important bit!

Take a van next time...
and they have just given me a 5% discount card!!!!
Old 2 May 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1599397)   #23
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Burnham
I find this most interesting, but to you guys using bags, have you considered that the weight you are carrying around could be straining shoulder/neck muscles and possibly causing long-term spinal damge?
I was at Mallory on April 23 and could not move my neck for days afterwards and I do not carry as much gear as a lot of you do! Admittedly I have a neck injury (fused vertebrae) and a damaged spine from playing Rugby, but none of you guys seem to utilise a camera vest to spread the load around your body, is there a reason for this?
I hope that its a personal choice as I have just spent £100+ on a Tamrac vest to help stop this problem, it gets its debut on Saturday at Silverstone so here's hoping.
Sorry to make my first post here such a long one but please be aware of the possible effects in later life that carrying all this gear over a shoulder could cause.
I wear an Alpinestars media vest, but there's nowhere on it big enough to fit a 400mm f2.8......
My trick is to put the straps around my neck so I can't drop anything, but to carry the camera/lense combinations in my hands
Old 2 May 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1599402)   #24
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Yes you do....
And me... it works very sporadically. It's on it's way to Nikon as we speak, they said worst case scenario it'll take 10 days. Hopefully get it back for the LMS at Spa...
Old 3 May 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1599947)   #25
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
And me... it works very sporadically. It's on it's way to Nikon as we speak, they said worst case scenario it'll take 10 days. Hopefully get it back for the LMS at Spa...

Lets hope so. did you make snet at the weekend? see at Silverstone I'm now there from Friday am