Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2002, 00:12 (Ref:248530)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
How about Renault and Toyota?

In all the excitement, the discussions so far have centred on Ferrari and BMW, and missed Renault and Toyota. Renault have shown that they are about to wrest third spot from McLaren in the pecking order in F1, and unless McLaren does something drastic, Renault will overhaul them before end of season. Who would have thought we would see the two Renaults running in the points for so long during the race? Certainly if someone suggested this last year, they would have been laughed off the forum.

Then there is Toyota, who are preforming well ahead of expectations, and slightly better than the Hondas, n'est pas? Now who could have predicted that? It is almost time for the Honda chief to go the Harikiri route.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 00:25 (Ref:248537)   #2
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota is doing incredibly well.

What makes their effort seem even more impressive is the fact that they originally designed (and built, I believe) a V12 engine for this foray into F1. Of course, when the FIA changed the rules, to only allow V10's, Toyota had to scrap their engine plan, and start from scratch.

And Honda...... I don't know what to think about their situation. I expected that they would be a major contender by now. They're down, but not out, though.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 00:34 (Ref:248539)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I actually believed that Renault were going to do much better this season I would have placed them somewhere ahead of the Honda teams (who I thought would be in 5th and 6th place this season...man was I wrong only BAR, Jordan and Arrows have failed to score points yet!)
BUT TOYOTA IS A FREAKING MIRACLE they couldn't have dreamed for a better introductory season...I for one definately thought they would be at the back of the pack giving Minardi a run for their money...but no way they clearly have been working overtime to look respectable this year. Honda has to be totally embarrassed and better start looking into buying out the BAR or Jordan teams so that they can make a totally Honda F1 team...the key in F1 today is to build everything under one roof engine and chassis....I mean look at the teams that are doing this Ferrari, Renault, Toyota, Jaguar (well Jag isn't the best of examples but you get the idea) and the other teams with only Williams, McLaren and maybe Sauber are even worth mentioning the rest are ****...building it all under one roof there is less confusion more knowledge about what's going on with the engine and chassis and no games between the engine supplier and chassis developers....Renault, Toyota, Ferrari are the teams of the future
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 01:11 (Ref:248560)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Actually, there are only 11 teams now, and all Honda have to do is lay down a refundable deposit of 48 million dollars and they can be in F1. They don't have to buy out Jordan (who won't sell anyway) or BAR (which is not worth buying). Honda might as well design their own car.
As for Renault, I can see Ron Dennis looking over his shoulder for the rest of the season.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 02:37 (Ref:248576)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota is looking very good...and seeing the two Jordans ahead of only the Minardis at the start was pretty depressing.
For the Toyotas, its not just the speed, but the reliability that's impressive.

As for Renault, they will be a serious threat for a victory soon. Too bad it won't be Fisichella who brings it.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 03:07 (Ref:248585)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Outstanding effort by Renault and Toyota.

And while I'm going to choke as I say it, another great drive drom Button.

I have said for a long time Renault would be the best of the rest this season, and they will give McLaren a hurry up for the remaining races. But get in front, no this year.

But in 2003..........
Old 1 Apr 2002, 03:19 (Ref:248589)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault have a brilliant track record in Formula One so it should come as no surprise that they are already dicing it with the likes of McLaren. The car looks stable and is getting faster with each race, and next year, with luck, should start mixing it with Williams and Ferrari more often that not.

Toyota have astounded everyone with their pace and reliability, and have even astonished themselves by scoring two points in their first three races. IMO a podium is definetely possible this year.