Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:18 (Ref:247025)   #26
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think sato is totally out of his league in F1.
I think he has to realise this is the real deal, not F3.
a lot of people and money depend on his results,which i think he fails to realise.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:39 (Ref:247036)   #27
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the lad a few more races. At the start of the season, some people were *****in about Massa and look how well he's going.

Now only if Jordan could get that fine looking car on the pace....
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:41 (Ref:247038)   #28
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Let's look at the whole picture through logic.
Sato is Japanese
Honda is Japanese
Honda wants to promote a Japanese driver
Jordan wants to keep his Japanese Honda Works engine supplier happy.
Eddie fires HHF
Eddie hires Sato.

I think that makes sense if you look at it through glasses with red roundels in the middle.

Eddie doesn't want to join the "NO WORKS ENGINE" club.
I don't want to sound cynical, so this post is not meant to reflect on the driving capabilities of Sato. For that, I will have to see where he qualifies tomorrow, and how he performs in the race.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:55 (Ref:247043)   #29
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well VB, look through these glasses:

HHF could not race/battle to save his life.
EJ fires HHF.
Sato is after winning British F3 and can race/battle very well.
Sato happens to be Japanese.
Honda is Japanese.
EJ wants to keep ahead of BAR (in battle for more Honda power).
EJ hires Sato, now got two young racers with potential, stays ahead of BAR, gets more (maybe exclusive) attention from Honda.

Makes sense to me. Looks like EJ had his thinking cap on. As we can see with the firing of loser HHF last year, EJ doesn't want to have a driver that can't race even though a main sponsor (Deutsche Post) wants that driver. He certainly didn't take on Sato just because he is Japanese, he took him on because he is talented. The fact that he is talented AND Japanese is a big bonus.

By the way, I have a math theorem that proves 1=0
Old 30 Mar 2002, 01:34 (Ref:247067)   #30
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato's having a real tough time but his lap times havent been too bad. I think he was given the Jordan drive cos Eddie wants to hang on to Honda engines (which he wont - since apparently BAR have signed a contract extention with Honda and EJ hasnt). But, at the same time we have to remember he is a F1 rookie and the Jordan isent the best car on the grid to be driving either....so the jurys still out on Sato IMO.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 01:58 (Ref:247077)   #31
calais
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by av8rirl
[B]Well VB, look through these glasses:

HHF could not race/battle to save his life.
EJ fires HHF.
Sato is after winning British F3 and can race/battle very well.
Sato happens to be Japanese.
Honda is Japanese.
EJ wants to keep ahead of BAR (in battle for more Honda power).
EJ hires Sato, now got two young racers with potential, stays ahead of BAR, gets more (maybe exclusive) attention from Honda.

Makes sense to me. Looks like EJ had his thinking cap on. As we can see with the firing of loser HHF last year, EJ doesn't want to have a driver that can't race even though a main sponsor (Deutsche Post) wants that driver. He certainly didn't take on Sato just because he is Japanese, he took him on because he is talented. The fact that he is talented AND Japanese is a big bonus.

so the fact HHF took jordan to third in 99 and pulled them into the big league means he cant drive??:confused:
Old 30 Mar 2002, 02:05 (Ref:247082)   #32
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will this ever end it has become like the Ralf vs. Juan arguements. The guy is where he worked for years to be. He left his country and dedicated his life to becoming the best driver he could be and to make it to F1. At the end of the season we will see if Eddie knows what he is doing. He has given many great drivers their first run in F1. He has the reputation of seeing talent. He had MS, Alesi, RS, GF and countless others. They have held their own in the F1 world.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 02:13 (Ref:247084)   #33
calais
Veteran

EJ was more interested in those drivers wallets,rather than their obvious talent.
why would he sign sato instead of the quicker justin wilson? obviously wilson is not a honda protege { and dont tell me he was too tall for the car}
Old 30 Mar 2002, 04:19 (Ref:247122)   #34
HKUSP40C
Rookie

HKUSP40C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
EJ was more interested in those drivers wallets,rather than their obvious talent.
why would he sign sato instead of the quicker justin wilson? obviously wilson is not a honda protege { and dont tell me he was too tall for the car}
How do you even know that Justin Wilson is quicker?
Old 30 Mar 2002, 05:01 (Ref:247127)   #35
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
By the way, I have a math theorem that proves 1=0
I'm not going to respond to this. I consider you one of my friends here, and I intend to keep it that way.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 06:27 (Ref:247143)   #36
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
As an aside I remember being in Vietnam and trying to teach the Cyclo drivers to race. We couldn't bribe them to go faster because they just didn't see the point. Yet the winner got five dollars for a thirty cent ride. Five dolars was a week's wages. Maybe it's the eastern culture.
I've been to Vietnam too and had many a bike race with the local kids in Nah Trang.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 06:32 (Ref:247144)   #37
DMC
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
Suzuki has the best finish for a Japanese driver, finishing third for Lola at Japan '90. I don't remember the race so I don't know how he managed it, but according to the results he beat both Williams cars. 10 cars were classified as finishers in that race.
Aguri Suzuki finished third in the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix, his home Grand Prix in his Lola - Lamborghini behind the Benetton - Ford teammates of Roberto Moreno and Nelson Piquet after Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost took each other out on the first lap in their McLaren - Hondas.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 07:53 (Ref:247149)   #38
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato is massively talented and is in F1 because of his talent. Its going to be so sweet when he starts to deliver the results like eddie is sure he's going to do.. We had all this talk last year when JPM went of the boil a bit mid season , Just wait and see is my advice...SATO is here to stay.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 09:56 (Ref:247175)   #39
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give Sato a chance! I'm not his biggest fan, but he had a shocking weekend in Australia (none of it his fault), made a rookie mistake in Malaysia, and has made a little mistake on Friday. Who gives a **** if he loses his top Friday time. It's Friday!!!

As neilap has pointed out, Jordan has a particularly good record for picking driving talent, and I'm not about to second guess him just yet. Look at some of the names he has given a chance to in F1 - Michael Schumacher, Ralf Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello, Giancarlo Fisichella, Jarno Trulli, Eddie Irvine, Alex Zanardi, Jean Alesi (in F3000). He can spot talent, and I'm not going to question it after 2 races.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 09:58 (Ref:247177)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
why would he sign sato
eddie jordan is past the need for drivers income to keep his team going! i didn't think that sato was a paying driver anyway, whilst trying to keep honda happy by taking on a japanese driver, he's had to pick 1 that has got the talent and the potential to get the job done, otherwise, everybody's going to look very silly!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 13:55 (Ref:247334)   #41
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Who gives a **** if he loses his top Friday time. It's Friday!!!

Trouble is, I think it's his fastest Saturday time he loses, not his fastest from Friday- (Isn't that what happened to Hakkinen at the US GP last year?)- although looking at Jordan performance in general yesterday, it isn't going to make much difference.....

Sato does seem to be struggling a bit at present, but I do think he needs to be given a little time to find his feet- irrespective of how good Carlin's engines were, anyone who saw him race in F3 last year should be able to see that the kid has talent- maybe there's been a bit too much hype about him, but in between the problems, it's not as if his lap times have been appallingly slow. I don't think we've seen anything like his true potential yet
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:21 (Ref:247349)   #42
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
correct !!!...the way i see it , is that Sato has made one big mistake , which was hitting Fisi in Sepang. apart from that he's had a few spins etc , well micheal had 2 or 3 spins yesterday , and was lucky not to do damage to his car. Taku has just has a spin in Sarurady practice and ended up losing his front wing. Thats just the way the luck goes.

i think alot of people are blowing Sato's problems out of all proportion.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:43 (Ref:247367)   #43
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Taku has just has a spin in Sarurady practice and ended up losing his front wing. Thats just the way the luck goes.

i see it as slightly more than this sato san (any relation?? hehe) it wasn't just losing his front wing, he lost valuable set up time, he's already on the back foot after yesterdays little "infringement!" and this is what proberbly caused todays spin, but he's gotta calm down and relax a bit more! in maylasia 2 weeks ago, we saw, in free practice, proberbly the "save" of the season, which goes to show the guys talent, but it could have also goe horribly wrong and, possibly gone to being a nail in the coffin for his f1 career!

unfortunatly for these japanese drivers, they come in being hailed as the best japanese driver ever etc, and imo, they try even harder to live upto that! sato has got the oppertunity to become the best japanese driver so far to reach f1 (and i personally think he will) he's gotta be careful that he doesn't go the way of japan's last big hope...........tora takagi!!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:51 (Ref:247374)   #44
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

it wasn't just losing his front wing, he lost valuable set up time,

Obviously that goes without saying ,

the point i was making was >>> that MS has 2or 3 spins yesterday , and was lucky to not damage his 2002 chassis , Taku had a spin today and lost his front wing . Thats just the way it goes in F1 .

i totally agree that Takuma needs to calm down a bit , just like JPM needed to at 1 point last year , but some peolple are just taking this way out of proportion.

If things are still like this come Hungary or Monza , then they will have a fair point , but some of the things that have been wrote about him are just to funny for words . I mean , the other day on here , someone actually wrote that Taku got the Jordan drive because his uncle os on the Board at HONDA !..i mean , its getting laughable .
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:53 (Ref:247377)   #45
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

the point i was making was >>> that MS has 2or 3 spins yesterday , and was lucky to not damage his 2002 chassis , Taku had a spin today and lost his front wing . Thats just the way it goes in F1 .

while i agree with you SS, it's the way it goes in f1, but tgf has track knowledge, sato doesn't!!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:56 (Ref:247378)   #46
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DMC

Aguri Suzuki finished third in the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix, his home Grand Prix in his Lola - Lamborghini behind the Benetton - Ford teammates of Roberto Moreno and Nelson Piquet after Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost took each other out on the first lap in their McLaren - Hondas.
Prost drove Ferrari in 1990. The famous McLaren-crash happened in 1989.

Berger and Mansell also retired in that race.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:58 (Ref:247379)   #47
DMC
Racer

Australia
My mistake
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:59 (Ref:247381)   #48
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
of course that right Mr v, Sato is a rookie afterall . Which goes back to my point...That's just the way the luck can go in F1 ...no big deal !!

he's just got to get his head down and get on with ...If he's good enough ( which i believe he is ) he will come through all this fine.. Its still so early in the season. With his spin and all today , he was only 3 tenths of Fisi at the end of the session....And there is fisi , with all his track knowledge .
Old 30 Mar 2002, 15:15 (Ref:247393)   #49
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
With his spin and all today , he was only 3 tenths of Fisi at the end of the session....And there is fisi , with all his track knowledge .
exactly my point.......3/10ths off fisi, now, if he'd stayed on the track he'd have gained more lap time, which equals more experience which should equal (hopefully) better lap times which should equal (again hopefully) faster than his team mate which should equal................not so much slagging off from everybody else!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 15:22 (Ref:247401)   #50
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mr V....you are just too clever for me , by the way can you give me any idea on why for some strange reason you decided to put the phrase IS GARETH SECRET SQUIREEL ?...in the F3000 thread in single seaters !!

just thought i'd ask ?