Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Jan 2004, 17:16 (Ref:844289)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACB Tyres

I was looking at my tyres the other day in the garage on my fford (as I was sad and bored). I have used my car in 4 races last year and 5 times testing but the tyres still look preety good.

The last time I tested I spoke to a fellow fford driver who said that many drivers seem to run the tyres until they are almost like slicks?

Do people do this ? just wondering really not much to do at work......

Tiptop
Old 20 Jan 2004, 19:49 (Ref:844460)   #2
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just use them until you start going slower, chances are with all due respect your not using them as hard as someone running at the front so they will last longer. Add this to the way the 88 uses its tyres which is a lot easier then a later car and you can probably get away with using them for quite a while.

In 2001 I did the whole Combe season on 2 sets in a 89 Vandiemen running in the low 13's to mid 12's! that was 9 races no tests but I finished them all except 1 so thats a lot of laps on 2 sets!

Matt
Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:49 (Ref:845252)   #3
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not so much how much tread they have as how old they are. Last years tyres cost me a second a lap, apparantly tyres continue to cure and everytime they go through a heat cycle they get harder.
I don't know if this is correct, I've been told that if kept away from light this slows the process down.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:845392)   #4
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mattray

I finished them all except 1 so thats a lot of laps on 2 sets!

Matt
I am assuning the one DNF wasn't a blow-out caused by excessively worn tires?

Seriously though, I have found that as long as the tires are no older than 6 months, then it doesn't make a lot of difference, but as Stephen says you can tell when they are costing you time.

The only thing is the wet, when used tires are ****. The tread "wobbles" creating heat, no tread - no heat.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:53 (Ref:845740)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenRae

I don't know if this is correct, I've been told that if kept away from light this slows the process down.
Steve, Are you advocating night racing to keep the tyres "fresh"?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:00 (Ref:846574)   #6
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Diz...I was thinking more on thelines of keeping them in black bin sacks.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:51 (Ref:846883)   #7
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..........Or in a dark room!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:53 (Ref:847185)   #8
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres will 'age' due to Ozone and UV degradation if kept in sun/daylight. Keep them cool and dark for minimum degradation. Grip isn't all about hardness.
They also degrade and harden every heat/cool cycle You can buy a cheap Shore Hardness tester and measure the hardness regularly to keep a check on that and if you keep them cool and dark (bin bags or just throw an old blanket over them on a rack) it WILL help. Also, don't leave on the car, and deflate to 10psi or so between races. It all helps a bit.
At the and of the day the real test is relative performance measured by the watch.
As far as the 'age' of the tyres is concerned, I bet you'd be surprised just how old some of the 'new' tyres are. Some sizes of certain tyres are years old when first sold to a user - no problem as long as they've been stored OK.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 20:36 (Ref:849563)   #9
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is highly illegal, but an acquaintance of mine decided to use some tyre softener a few days before an event. As this was the first time he had ever used such a substance he doubled the amount he needed and liberally soaked the tyres. The car was then rolled onto the trailer and left in his garage. On the appointed day he confidently arrived at the circuit and had a really hard job getting his car off the trailer again, the tyres having stuck to it extremely effectively!! Don't think he ever did it again!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 13:48 (Ref:851047)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the vintage dunlop tyres go off after a while . . . .much as described above . . .the general consencus seems to be to drive them till theyre undriveable, unfortunately as its a one tyre make series theres no 'deals' to be had due to lack of competition, so the price is high . . too high to use fresh tyres when it might be benificial or safer.