Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2001, 19:09 (Ref:123941)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan GP's '02 line-up: Sato/Alesi

It's beginning to look more and more likely that we'll see Sato and Alesi racing for Jordan next season. Everythings changed so quickly - a few weeks ago it looked all but certain that it would be Trulli/Frentzen again. I hope that Alesi does go to Jordan - I mean, they can qualify well for some GP, so could we see Alesi challenging for victories again as well as having a Japanese racer in F1? Lets hope so!

LONG LIVE GIOVANNI ALESI!!!!!!
Old 30 Jul 2001, 21:47 (Ref:124031)   #2
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless something changes, looks like no Alesi at Jordan.

http://www.itv-f1.com/media/cache/itvf1/story_6602.php3
Old 31 Jul 2001, 00:26 (Ref:124085)   #3
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean no Alesi at Jordan for 2001...for next year we will see. I'd hope that Prost will see that it makes no sense to keep an Alesi if he wants to leave...if he doesnt feel 100% well in a team he doesnt bring the performance. That might not be professional, but it shows his wonderful emotional character. We will have to wait for the Hungarian GP to see if everyone understood this.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/jeanalesifreaks
Old 31 Jul 2001, 03:23 (Ref:124128)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Alain Prost says that he won't let Alesi go to Jordan.

But, if we believe all that we read, we'd also know that Prost is THIS close to going belly-up, and that Pedro Diniz/Asiatech/Briatore are very close to taking over the team.

While selling Alesi to Jordan would bring in a nice wad of cash that would probably keep Alain afloat for the season, what sort of operation does he have without Alesi? (that was not a knock at Burti at all). Selling Alesi leaves Prost very few options in drivers, and certainly nobody with any experience. Note that Wurz/Zonta/Gene/Enge/etc. all turned down Mazzacane's drive.

It is my feeling that Prost will bow out/go belly up very soon. As in the next week. And Eddie Jordan would be extremely happy to switch off Zonta and Alesi (Diniz may be able to sell Zonta on the all-Brazillian team).

Besides, if Asiatech were to buy into Prost, it'd be smart to jettison Alesi. The thinking behind that is this: Alesi is undoubtedly a great and talented driver, but he is not at all an ideal driver to develop a car with. Asiatech would be looking at developing a brand-new car and engine. The growth of the car would be hindered if they were to have Alesi help to develop it. Besides, the situation at Jordan is the type of situation that benefits Alesi: here's the car...go fast...don't ask any questions.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 07:55 (Ref:124185)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Broccoli
The growth of the car would be hindered if they were to have Alesi help to develop it. Besides, the situation at Jordan is the type of situation that benefits Alesi: here's the car...go fast...don't ask any questions.
And that is what Alesi does best. Drives fast.

It is sad that Prost will probably go belly up, and consider that MINARDI will still be around after them. Go you good thing!!!

I would like to see Alesi get one final shot at glory in at least a half-decent car, and undoubtedly the Jordan is that, but it's just been lacking something that Frentzen and Trulli couldn't give it - a real flogging.

And considering the history between Jordan and Alesi, I don't know why the move won't be made. Maybe it's loyalty to Alain that is keeping Alesi at Prost.

BTW the pace of Prost during the season proves that nothing can be taken away from testing, because if you remember Prost were turing some great times in the off-season, but once the season started they drifted back to where they have been the past few seasons. I guess it hasn't helped that they lost long time sponsor Gauloises and a major manufacturer in Peugeot.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 09:32 (Ref:124216)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think it will bne a great shame if Prost folds as Alain Prost is such a genuinely nice guy and almost deserves to have a good team. It does go to show though that once again the idea of an 'all French' team has failed. I wish Alain the best and hope that he manages to salvage something from this pile of dung.

Jean is his only asset at the moment and despite the friendship between Eddie Jordan and Alain Prost, Alain has said he will not allow Alesi to go to Jordan this season. Now that could be Alain sandbagging for more money for Alesi.

Whatever the outcome, I agree it would be rather special to give Jean one last chance in a decent car to show his undoubted talent to the rest of the world.

Stephen

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/themarshalsclub
Old 31 Jul 2001, 09:35 (Ref:124218)   #7
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost playing dirty?

Could this be the end of a beautiful friendship? Prost is saying he won't allow EJ to take Alesi as he is contracted to Prost for this year, however my understanding is that some of Alesi's pay has not been forthcoming, and that Prost have also not paid for their Ferrari engines yet. Surely if Prost is not keeping to his side of the contract (ie - paying his driver) then that driver has every right to walk away from that?
I like Prost but, if this is true, this is a terrible way to treat Jean.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 19:41 (Ref:124443)   #8
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Prost's wavering is a last ditch effort to keep the team afloat. If Eddie throws money at Alain, Alain pretty much is forced to give in. If Eddie says "Eh, forget it" and keeps Zonta in the seat or goes and gets someone else, that's it for Prost GP w/ Alain in charge.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 19:52 (Ref:124445)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan line up in 2002...............

Sato and ?

I don't think Alesi will join at all. If he does it will be for remainder of 2001 and 2002 or not at all.

I really hope Zonta gets it for this year.