Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Jul 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1352176)   #1
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speed News: Champ Cars at Sebring with ALMS 2006

A report on Speed News Sunday at 7:30 mentioned that there might be a Champ Car race in 2006 on the same weekend as the 12 Hours of Sebring ALMS race.

Also, a report on TSN.ca noted that:

Kalkhoven conceded that the 2006 Champ Car schedule could include as many as three dates with ALMS involvement.

A preliminary Champ Car schedule making the rounds shows 17 races next year with the current crop of cities being joined by Sebring, Florida, Houston and Beijing, China on the calendar.

I guess it's worth a try, and I would be happy to see such a move be successful. However I would say that if both of these race series were going really strong, then such an idea wouldn't really be necessary.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1352181)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've always given Robin Miller much more credence than many others have. And this is (IMO) another reason why.

Not long ago, KK was quoted as saying that next year's calendar wouldn't expand from this year's. He said it might change somewhat, but that it was unlikely to grow. Yet now there's talk of 17 races!

Sebring! That's awesome!
Houston... I just hope that it's a new layout.
And China... Quite interesting. But not at all surprising.

I mentioned in another thread, in another 10T's forum, that I feel as if this "rumour" carries alot of weight. I really think that this CC/ALMS link is going to happen. It becomes even more interesting when one thinks about the possible ramifications of Honda, Panoz, Penske/Ilmor...

We certainly have alot to look forward to. These next few weeks should prove to be very interesting.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1352183)   #3
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring!!! How exciting!
Not to wish away this season, but I can't wait for 2006!

I just hope they do something about the gap in between Long Beach and Monterrey; it's way too long to wait.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1352207)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's interesting that there is a formal acknowledgement of the ALMS talks. I think this can't help but add credence to the rumours we've been hearing.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 03:45 (Ref:1352217)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS
A report on Speed News Sunday at 7:30 mentioned that there might be a Champ Car race in 2006 on the same weekend as the 12 Hours of Sebring ALMS race.
Im excited
Old 11 Jul 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1352234)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is KK's comments:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18105/
Old 11 Jul 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1352402)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I have been hearing a lot about the ALMS/Champ Car collaboration possible for next year, I am most cheered by the emphatic negation of any "unification" and "merger" rumour that only the press continues to try to stir up, particularly a few of the local press. I wish everyone would drop that subject forever, as KK urges in no uncertain terms.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1352775)   #8
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope that this is successful! I've talked to a few people about a CC/ALMS partnership (and these are traditional NASCAR fans), and they think it's great because it would be cool to go to a road course weekend.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1352783)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I know it ain't gonna happen, but wouldn't it be cool to let both series loose on the track at the same time? The ChampCars could be like another "class".
Old 11 Jul 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1352827)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Constructive comment: if Champ Car is to run at Sebring the whole circuit needs to be repaved - it is already almost impossible to safely run sportscars there, and the risk of a nasty accident with a fast open wheel car such as a Champ Car (with suspensions with much shorter travel) would be unbearably high.

Also, the run-off areas in several points of the circuit would need to be considerably modified - Sunset Curve comes to mind immediately, but that is not the only spot in the course that would require improvements.

Please remember that although Champ Cars do test at Sebring they do not use the same circuit at the 12 Hours race, but a much shortened version that does not even use the paddock/pits area.

Considering the amount of work Don Panoz put in the tracks he acquired - such as Mosport and Road Atlanta - one could hope he would do the same for Sebring, and maybe allowing Champ Cars to go back to Florida.

Regards,

Muzza
Old 11 Jul 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1352863)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Muzza, part of the Dave Phillips notes from Saturday tell of NHR (Bruno) testing the full circuit.

Sebring will not be repaved for a support race.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1353118)   #12
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless champ car flips part of the bill....
Old 12 Jul 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1353125)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...part of?

Sebring was rebuilt just a few years ago, and they took care to preserve the bumpiness as part of the character of the track and race.

Over on ccf I saw an intriguing suggestion - run Champcars on the prior Sunday.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1353131)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preserve the bumpiness? Wow, that's wierd...

Let's hope that Champ Cars can run intact for 80 laps or so on this course.

And isn't the Sebring race in the beginning of the Champ Car season? If the track is dangerous, what if there is some sort of accident? Add to the notion that some of the runnoffs aren't great, and there could be some season-ending injuries!

It may be too melodramatic, but it is a possibility.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1353531)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I think I can clarify things here.

My initial statement stands. The event is about ALMS; they will never, never, never accept even co-headline status. If that's a dealbreaker for Champcar, so be it. That's official.

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1353569)   #16
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought ALMS would beg to get the crowds that ChampCar gets at most of it's races.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1353601)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
ALMS is happy with the crowds they get, for the most part. Champcar's high crowds are necessary to pay for the high infrastructure cost of running a temporary course.

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1353652)   #18
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it`s true.

And I hope it`s Friday. People start the trek home Sunday morning.
Also, Sebring is ALMS` biggest event, so CCWS should take whatever offer to stage a race, meaning.......who cares what little headline support they get...they need to get back to Florida for an early warm weather race.
I`m sure if ALMS goes to Long Beach, it would be reversed.
It would be great to have a Speedweek, just like Daytona.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1353654)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
I`m sure if ALMS goes to Long Beach, it would be reversed.
I think that would be found to be acceptable, given the nature of the events themselves.

-Bill James
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1353705)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Does the ALMS have a street-racing history? Passing slower cars on a circuit like LongBeach could prove very interesting!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1353708)   #21
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Does the ALMS have a street-racing history? Passing slower cars on a circuit like LongBeach could prove very interesting!
According to the ALMS schedules you can find here...
http://www.racingcircuits.net/_serie...index_nam.html
...they have raced at Miami, Trois Rivieres, Dallas when the series was known as IMSA, and possibly other street tracks (didn't look at every schedule), so yes, they have a street-racing history.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1353757)   #22
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTV's speculative CCWS schedule:
Sebring (March 19)
Long Beach (April 9)
Monterrey (May 21)
Milwaukee (June 3)
San Jose (June 18)
Cleveland (June 25)
Toronto (July 9)
Edmonton (July 16)
Portland (July 30)
Denver (August 13)
Montreal (August 27)
Houston (September 9)
Las Vegas (September 23)
Bejing (October 8)
Ansan (October 15)
Surfers Paradise (October 22)
Mexico City (November 5)
It's sad to see that they still have ridiculously long breaks at the beginning of the season. It would be much better if Champ Car could find one more race before Long Beach or Monterrey.

I wonder if the Las Vegas date will be the oval again, or if Champ Car is still looking to do a street race down part of the strip.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1353962)   #23
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK for symantics to be at work here...

Is it possible to structure a deal where ALMS runs as the headliner on one weekend day and Champ Car runs as the headliner on the other weekend day and the only days they both see the track is practice/qualifying days. Sell a joint or separate ticket and bingo problem solved. No one is more important than the other, fans have their choice as to who and what they see and everyone benefits from increased draw.

It's kind of like competing dealers locating in an automall. Nobody is asking the BMW dealer to play second fiddle to the Mercedes dealer (or vice-versa) yet the customer has a convenient place to see both and therfore they each increase their opportunities in the long run.

I don't think it works if a whole season were run this way but you might get some cross-pollination going if it were for a few select events. This could hold true not just for the fans but I even envision these possibilities for sponsors and manufacturers as well.

Costs of staging an event of this nature would also go down for each series as they could share set-up/tear down, marketing costs, TV production costs etc.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1354017)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
The "automall" is a great analogy, Flatspot.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1354021)   #25
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTV's speculative CCWS schedule:
Sebring (March 19)
Long Beach (April 9)
Monterrey (May 21)
Milwaukee (June 3)
San Jose (June 18)
Cleveland (June 25)
Toronto (July 9)
Edmonton (July 16)
Portland (July 30)
Denver (August 13)
Montreal (August 27)
Houston (September 9)
Las Vegas (September 23)
Bejing (October 8)
Ansan (October 15)
Surfers Paradise (October 22)
Mexico City (November 5)

It's sad to see that they still have ridiculously long breaks at the beginning of the season. It would be much better if Champ Car could find one more race before Long Beach or Monterrey.

I wonder if the Las Vegas date will be the oval again, or if Champ Car is still looking to do a street race down part of the strip.
I hear what your saying March 19th to April 9th and then April 9th to May 21st is a long wait They need two fill in races. May one in early march or late march and another in April. Also I think the series needs to find a race in America to end the season at a famous track with the open wheel status of Long Beach. Maybe they should Laguna Seca as the last race of the season. Some where at a track where people have known and loved racing with a great history.

Any Ideas what track would be good?