Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Jun 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2905918)   #1
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Data loggers, what do you use and like?

I have a track day car (Skyline R33 GTS-t and two race cars, a Lola T91-50 F3000 with a Mugen in it, and a Zeus sports prototype. The Skyline gets the most use, just for fun on track days, and runs a Motec M800 ecu. The Lola has an ancient PI dash and elderly PI logger. The Zeus has a Stack dash logger, now very dated, I don't like digital dashboards, much preferring a minimalistic array of analogue dials with an alarm set in the ecu to trigger a warning light if something is amiss. I would therefore ideally like a standalone logger with GPS that can be moved from car to car, each having a loom for it. The Zeus is going to share the M800 from the Skyline, so engine sensors can be logged from the ecu. The Lola has an ancient Zytek ecu, so I would just want to log some minimalistic chassis stuff, GPS track position and ignore the engine, logging wise. I was close to buying a Race Technology DL-2 but then I got the software and had a play with some downloadable demo logs. I don't think I could use this, it seems very hard to sort out and clunky. I decided to download other software packages, and found the GEMS and the Motec data log analysis stuff very good, with the AIM stuff also seemingly user friendly. GEMS seems little used by circuit race folk, and very few places seem to sell or know much about it. Motec, of course, is internationally regarded and supported. It would also tie in nicely with the Skyline M800 ecu. Their standalone logger is VERY pricey though. Not heard back from GEMS re a price for their loggers, which is not very inspiring, and the AIM stuff seems good value, and has what appears to be good support. I want to be able to log the M800 ecu outputs via RS232 or Can, and four wheel speed sensors, lateral and longitudinal G forces, GPS track position and sequential box gear position. I may want to add two brake pressure sensors and steering position later.

What do you use, how have you found the hardware, software and support, and what would you recommend. I have a limited budget, but would spend a fair amount to get something I could use effectively and that doesn't "do my head in", which I suspect the Race Technology stuff would. Thanks. I am particularly interested if anyone runs the GEMS stuff?
Old 26 Jun 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2906288)   #2
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An MXL Pro will give you everything you want provided they have the looms available. It maybe not the outright best but bang for the buck it really can't be beaten. You might also consider the EVO3 Pro that AIM produce as it can be used without a dash leaving you to use the analogue instruments you prefer.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2907568)   #3
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race car

Cosworth/PI Compact Logger attached to an Omega dash display and Pectel T6 ECU.

I use the PI Toolbox software.

Kit Car

Stack dash with a Stack Data Logger.

Both are pretty good but I prefer the Cosworth/PI setup. It's seems to be more geared towards actual race use than the Stack stuff.

A Motec setup was a close second when choosing the Cosworth/PI but would have worked out more expensive at the time. Probably about the same now.

Cosworth support has generally been really good but you have to phone them rather than just email them. Stack have never back back to me about anything.

Looked at all the cheap options. They were cheap. I'd happily pick the Cosworth setup again and am only now being to get anywhere near exploiting it.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2907604)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be honest the race technology software isn't as bad as it initially looks. the main problem is you get it as a 'blank screen' with no pre determined information on it. once you actually get the screens setup its actually pretty good to use, there's lots of information available its just finding it!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2925115)   #5
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Technology offer a free half days training course at the Eastwood Office (J26, M1) which gets you up and running very quickly and also includes a one-to-one session to answer users specific queries.

They also did at least one 'webinar' which was essentially the training course online. There is a video of it here.

http://www.race-technology.com/softw...s_2_30525.html
Look for 'training seminar video'

It is very powerful software and does many things that even the more expensive competing products don't do.

Maxx
Old 11 Jul 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2925341)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK View Post

It is very powerful software and does many things that even the more expensive competing products don't do.

Maxx
I see this line bandied about by all the manufacturers and re-sellers for every system Can you outline what you see the Race Technologies unique features that others cannot do. To just say it means nothing, please be specific or others can't judge against what they are using. In my case a few comparisons against AIM's software would be advantageous. Thanks.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2925423)   #7
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
The more I look into data loggers the less certain I am as to what to get, it's a minefield of expensive dongles, add ons, disinterested manufacturers sales people, and a seemingly daunting task to find stuff as basic as an on-line or printed price list.

I started by listing my needs, which are:

Needs to speak to my M800 seamlessly.

I don't want a digital dash, so ha to be a standalone logger.

Needs to allow GPS position and timing

Needs to take 4 wheel speed sensor inputs.

Needs at least 8 analogue inputs

I would like two K type thermocouple inputs without the need for separate amplifiers.

Ideally, I would like to have on board camera footage aligned with the data stream, with the option of true HD camera quality. I know the main purpose of data logging isn't to make a broadcast quality film, but given true HD resolution cameras are so cheap, and they will write to a cheap data card, why not have decent quality? Some of the kits have video quality that's pretty appalling. If they wrote the camera output in true HD, but only used a lower resolution to use with the logging software, at least your moment of glory, humiliation or heroism would be recorded for posterity in true HD to show your mates, or your bank manager.

The software needs to be intuitive, with excellent help files and ideally on line seminars in its usage.

Lack of intuitive software is putting me off the excellently priced race Technology.

I like the Gems software, but getting easy info seems to involve secret handshakes, and vast patience.

Motec is what I use now, would love an ACL logger, but at over £4K it's a none starter unless a used one came up. Support is fantastic, on line webinars, huge knowledge base... Video quality looks ropey, can't use other cameras and auto align vids without either i2 Pro @ £500 a year, or a Motec dash as well, to give the beeps output that do the auto align.

Cosworth / Pectel / Pi looks good, but again, what a palaver getting anything even as basic as prices. Suspect with "add ons", licences and base costs these will be out of my league.

Not sure about AIM, still looking into it.

Stack is the the other brand I am awaiting info on.

They are costly things, with a seemingly short technology life, I want to be careful here. If Motec would just reduce prices to help the exchange rate they'd have more of my custom, their marketing and support is 100%
Old 12 Jul 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2925433)   #8
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
The more I look into data loggers the less certain I am as to what to get, it's a minefield of expensive dongles, add ons, disinterested manufacturers sales people, and a seemingly daunting task to find stuff as basic as an on-line or printed price list.

I started by listing my needs, which are:

Needs to speak to my M800 seamlessly.

I don't want a digital dash, so ha to be a standalone logger.

Needs to allow GPS position and timing

Needs to take 4 wheel speed sensor inputs.

Needs at least 8 analogue inputs

I would like two K type thermocouple inputs without the need for separate amplifiers.

Ideally, I would like to have on board camera footage aligned with the data stream, with the option of true HD camera quality. I know the main purpose of data logging isn't to make a broadcast quality film, but given true HD resolution cameras are so cheap, and they will write to a cheap data card, why not have decent quality? Some of the kits have video quality that's pretty appalling. If they wrote the camera output in true HD, but only used a lower resolution to use with the logging software, at least your moment of glory, humiliation or heroism would be recorded for posterity in true HD to show your mates, or your bank manager.

The software needs to be intuitive, with excellent help files and ideally on line seminars in its usage.

Lack of intuitive software is putting me off the excellently priced race Technology.

I like the Gems software, but getting easy info seems to involve secret handshakes, and vast patience.

Motec is what I use now, would love an ACL logger, but at over £4K it's a none starter unless a used one came up. Support is fantastic, on line webinars, huge knowledge base... Video quality looks ropey, can't use other cameras and auto align vids without either i2 Pro @ £500 a year, or a Motec dash as well, to give the beeps output that do the auto align.

Cosworth / Pectel / Pi looks good, but again, what a palaver getting anything even as basic as prices. Suspect with "add ons", licences and base costs these will be out of my league.

Not sure about AIM, still looking into it.

Stack is the the other brand I am awaiting info on.

They are costly things, with a seemingly short technology life, I want to be careful here. If Motec would just reduce prices to help the exchange rate they'd have more of my custom, their marketing and support is 100%
The only thing I am unsure of with the AIM EVO3 amongst your criteria is the need to hook up to an M800. The rest it will do and a lot of classic racers have used it to log because no dash is necessary. In the end the decision should be less about money and more about what you get. never start with something you are going to outgrow as in the end it costs you the money you should have spent in the first place. I wonder if you can do what you want with your budget.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2925440)   #9
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I wonder if you can do what you want with your budget.
That sounds familiar Thanks Casper, will look at AIM stuff in more depth.