Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1229387)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth on the up?

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23547

Interesting article about the new lease of life down at Cosworth since the takeover. It may be that Red Bull will surprise a few people this year after all. The engine is running 900bhp and regarded as "bulletproof". Red Bull have had no blow ups (yet) and DC reckons the engine is more driveable than the merc..Luizzi has also made positive noises in relation to the Petronas Ferrari unit
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1229394)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only do Red Bull benefit from this but Minardi should be able to creep up behind everyone in the early races.

It would have been a shame for Cosworth to just slink off into the background, so it can only be good news to hear that the company is building some decent units again.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1229400)   #3
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may not be good news for Minardi, having a brand new - untested - untried aerodynamics with a very reliable engine, I doubt is very wise. If the engine was going to be lacklustre, like the past, you could argue they have nothing to lose, but, with an engine that could be reliable, and pack some relative punch, itd be a shame if they tried an aero package that took half a season to understand
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1229435)   #4
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is fantastic! I was really hoping something like this would happen -- especially the way things have gone for them these past couple years.

As far as Minardi's position is concerned, having a reliable engine that puts out decent horsepower gives them one less thing to worry about which, imho, is a good thing. As far as their new aero package is concerned, even if it does take half -- or even all of -- the season to sort out, they certainly can't drop any lower in the grid than they already are. What have they got to lose?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1229437)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good engine and bad aero will always outperform bad engine and bad aero though. Minardi probably have low expectations of the early races - the combination of a better-than-expected engine and Jordan's troubles is undoubtedly a bonus to them.

I can see Red Bull threatening to embarass Sauber, especially as DC is surely bette-rsuited to the midfield task than JV.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1229444)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The same positive can be applied to Jordan - they might be struggling on the chassis side, but no matter how good the Cosworth, the Toyota is still one of the best.

It would be good to see Red Bull do well - too good to be true, in fact.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1229452)   #7
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
The same positive can be applied to Jordan - they might be struggling on the chassis side, but no matter how good the Cosworth, the Toyota is still one of the best.

It would be good to see Red Bull do well - too good to be true, in fact.
I agree about the Toyota engine, but Jordan seem to be admitting that this year is just a "holding year" while Midland are getting sorted out. Red Bull seem to be ahead of the game a bit more..Jag had put some money into the new car design, and Jag must have had better team stabiliy than Jordan, even through the uncertain times. Jordan were seriously skint towards the end of last year, hence the cobbled together car. I guess Jordan will be chasing Red Bull, while trying to keep ahead of Minardi!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1229454)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst 900bhp is commendable for Cosworth all things considered, Honda are aiming for 1000bhp by seasons end. Big league power this ain't.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1229465)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh yea - Jordan don't have a chance of beating Bed Bull - however Red Bull will also be hard pressed to beat anybody else!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1229472)   #10
farcnield

i am not so sure i think Williams are about to look as bad as ever come thefirst races. It will take them half the season again to get the car to work properly what is it with those guys. My bett would be on Renault and Mclaren this year with sauber getting the odd top result!

Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1229482)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Whilst 900bhp is commendable for Cosworth all things considered, Honda are aiming for 1000bhp by seasons end. Big league power this ain't.
Yes, but what they start the season with is a more valid example. If Cosworth expect to find another 30bhp by mid-season I suppose it's safe to assume people like Honda are already very near 930-950bhp.

All these numbers can be taken with a pinch of salt, it's just like the race to 19,000rpm a season or two a go.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1229508)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcnield
i am not so sure i think Williams are about to look as bad as ever come thefirst races. It will take them half the season again to get the car to work properly what is it with those guys. My bett would be on Renault and Mclaren this year with sauber getting the odd top result!
Williams must be right up there with McLaren - I think Renault may be ahead of bot of them to start with. Then there's BAR - they shoud still be comfortably top-five to start with. No way will Sauber be doing better than Williams.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1229512)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm tipping Sauber for a very poor year.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1229534)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So am I KB, they really seem to be struggling with the car and they've got less chance of sorting it out mid-season, especially with their peculiar refusal to run a third car. Red Bull could feasibly beat them for 7th, and I'd be surprised if Toyota can't beat them. It's a real shame, because all the right ingredients looked to be in place (other than a driver of Fisichella's calibre....), but they've seemingly got it all wrong.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1229590)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Reading that article it was interesting to note that Cosworths V8 is already achieving 800bhp!

So much for slowing the cars down.