Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 Nov 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2587210)   #1
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not your images any more!

If you value your images and you display them on the internet. You better start watermarking your stuff!

The Government have announced plans to allow free and unhindered reproduction of photographs without payment or credit on non-commercial websites.

Unless you sign this http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/copyrightreform/
Old 22 Nov 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2587214)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Stupid question here? How are they going to implement this with an image copyrighted elsewhere? This is ludicrous. My images are hosted on a US server, NOT in the UK. They have no right to those images hosted offshore?

Sounds like yet more guff from politicians with more wind than brain.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2587271)   #3
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Perhaps the British Government doesn't know WWW stands for WORLD WIDE WEB!
Old 22 Nov 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2587281)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
It's a moribund Government. This is not going to become law.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2588307)   #5
jimmie
Rookie

jimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Queen's speech contains laws that a labour government want to put in place. They wont get time to put many in place if we boot them out in next years gen election.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2590705)   #6
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering the website i work for is American, doesnt look like this one will affect me, at least i hope not. stupid law though, another fine example of Labour spouting the metaphorical brown stuff.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2595176)   #7
mark302
Rookie

England
West London UK
mark302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't see how this changes anything, it states, "non Commerical web sites" if someone uses another persons picture, without that persons permisson, to make money then that would still be illegal.
I also think if you are a pro, and don't water mark your pictures, then you must be daft.
But I might have this all wrong, but it seems that everybody is quick to blame this goverment, like any other lot would be better, because all these laws rules ideas etc, are brought up by commitees of non elected suits, that will still be there when the front men change, so weather it's labour or tory or Nazi, it's still going to be the same.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2633971)   #8
BrendanMcF
Rookie

Ireland
1 mile from Castle Combe Circuit
BrendanMcF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Removing watermarks or EXIF data from commercial images is not exactly rocket science, there are programs that do this quite easily. It is the same with JavaScript that blocks the right click menu, I really don't know why some people bother.

The only solution is not to put your pictures online...

If someone uses my low-resolution photos on their website, that's fine with me, in some ways you could take it as appreciation of your work. I am of course talking about non-commercial websites. High-res images are another matter entirely.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 04:00 (Ref:2634772)   #9
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Most places you post photos on the internet have a stipulation in the user agreement that says they have the right to sell your photos anyways, this is nothing new. Especially considering that people will do it anyways/
Old 17 Feb 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2635040)   #10
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmonkey View Post
Most places you post photos on the internet have a stipulation in the user agreement that says they have the right to sell your photos anyways, this is nothing new. Especially considering that people will do it anyways/
That's news to me - which ones, Flickr?

I don't watermark my images but limit the size of them to 800 pixels in size. No good for printing - or so you'd think. It didn't stop one them ending up in the Coys ad for the Piper GTR.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2635047)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
That's news to me - which ones, Flickr?

I don't watermark my images but limit the size of them to 800 pixels in size. No good for printing - or so you'd think. It didn't stop one them ending up in the Coys ad for the Piper GTR.
I would email Coys and ask them who gave them permission to use the photo and more importantly where to send the invoice!
Old 17 Feb 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2635059)   #12
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I would email Coys and ask them who gave them permission to use the photo and more importantly where to send the invoice!
I suppose technically you would be able to if this new law comes into force.. They have used your image to sell a product. So it is a Commercial site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmonkey View Post
Most places you post photos on the internet have a stipulation in the user agreement that says they have the right to sell your photos anyways, this is nothing new. Especially considering that people will do it anyways!
People CANNOT sell your images without your permission! This new proposed law does not agree with that either.

If it is part of a web sites conditions, and you join them, then technically, you agree to them doing so. You can't complain.

If you post images on the WWW then you are best advised to watermark them. If people then use them, they will at least be advertising your work for you..
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2635733)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.copyrightaction.com/forum...-public?page=1

Don't think it matters where the host is based.