Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Feb 2006, 06:05 (Ref:1519388)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indonesia Round

A few surprises in the driver entry list.

Japan are back.
Pakistan missing this time (surely Khan cannot still be injured?)
India are listed
No Toccacelo for Italy. They were starting to look threatening with Toccacelo so guess the other two are buying the drive.
Strange that lots of countries are only bringing one driver, as we saw in Durban with Pakistan you are then out of it if your driver gets injured.

A1 Team Driver 1 Driver 2
Australia Christian Jones Marcus Marshall
Austria Mathias Lauda
Brazil Christian Fittipaldi Tuka Rocha
Canada Sean McIntosh
China Tengyi Jiang
Czech Republic Tomas Enge
France Nicholas Lapierre
Germany Timo Scheider
Great Britain Robbie Kerr
India Armaan Ebrahim
Indonesia Ananda Mikola
Ireland Ralph Firman Michael Devaney
Italy Max Busnelli Michele Rugolo
Japan Hyanari Shimoda
Lebanon Basil Shaaban Khalil Beschir
Malaysia Alex Yoong
Mexico Salvador Duran
Netherlands Jos Verstappen Jeroen Bleekemolen
New Zealand Matt Halliday
Portugal Alvaro Parente
South Africa Stephen Simpson
Switzerland Neel Jani
USA Phil Giebler
Old 10 Feb 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1519412)   #2
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Khan is still injured - this just released:
Quote:
A1 Team Pakistan regrets that the team is unable to compete in Sentul, Indonesia this weekend for the eighth round of the A1 Grand Prix series. Driver Adam Khan is still recovering from injuries sustained at the previous event in South Africa two weeks ago and has been declared unfit to drive by his doctors. The team is looking forward to a return to the track on 24th, 25th and 26th for the next round of the series in Monterrey, Mexico.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1519494)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
No Toccacelo for Italy. They were starting to look threatening with Toccacelo so guess the other two are buying the drive.
Maybe... but Busnelli looked more than a match for Toccacelo at the last meeting.

First practice now complete; Ireland on top with Indonesia, Great Britain, Portugal and Australia chasing. Full results here.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1519558)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second practice finished - Malaysia, Australia, Netherlands, France, Indonesia the top 5.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 14:58 (Ref:1519687)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice performance from Marcus Marshall there, and also interesting to see Jones well towards the top in FP1. Saw a couple of clips on TV a few moments ago and the conditions looked moderately treacherous - can anyone confirm?
Old 11 Feb 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1520173)   #6
Rockfan
Rookie

England
Near Rockingham
Rockfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I criticised Robbie Kerr in the past, but I have say well Robbie on your Pole. Very good driving, just need that win from it now. Go Robbie.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1520313)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Good efforts also from Mexico (Salvador Duran) and Japan (Hayanari Shimoda). Otherwise it's all the usual suspects at the front, isn't it, apart from Brazil. To be fair to Christian Fittipaldi, he was bound to find this weekend tough and it's only preparation for the last three races on circuits that I think he knows.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1520399)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see Robbie Kerr on Pole postition, he totally deserves it. I too have criticised Kerr in the past and I think with some justification, however he now seems to be finally getting there 100% and this weekend could be the weekend that Team GB get their maiden win in A1 GP. IMO.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1520743)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another entertaining enough couple of races, but I am beginning to think that there are too many offs, and too many safety car periods in particular which really do disrupt the racing. They make the whole compulsary pit stop scenario just too much of a lottery, in my view.

I'm increasingly unconvinced that A1GP has the credibility to think of itself as a "world cup of motorsport", good to watch though it may be.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1520746)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I personally am of the opposite view to yourself Ian, there was a few offs yes but only because the drivers here are willing to put their cars on the line and go for postitions unlike Formula One for example, watch any other series like GP2 or Champ Car or the IRL and you normally see lots of safety car periods, certainly as many as you get in most A1 GP rounds. Most A1 races arent this action packed and there arent normally as many offs as we saw in todays feature race.

A1 GP has many of the best drivers in the world outside of F1 at the moment IMO and is producing excellent racing. Well done to Sean McIntosh and Canada, yes they were a little fortunate due to a couple of safety car periods but McIntosh did fight for that win, he wasnt given it, he overtook several cars during the course of the race on merit. A1 IMO keeps getting better and better.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1520749)   #11
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
I personally am of the opposite view to yourself Ian, there was a few offs yes but only because the drivers here are willing to put their cars on the line and go for postitions unlike Formula One for example, watch any other series like GP2 or Champ Car or the IRL and you normally see lots of safety car periods, certainly as many as you get in most A1 GP rounds. Most A1 races arent this action packed and there arent normally as many offs as we saw in todays feature race.

A1 GP has many of the best drivers in the world outside of F1 at the moment IMO and is producing excellent racing. Well done to Sean McIntosh and Canada, yes they were a little fortunate due to a couple of safety car periods but McIntosh did fight for that win, he wasnt given it, he overtook several cars during the course of the race on merit. A1 IMO keeps getting better and better.
Agree with you wholeheartedly Saleen.

I don't care whether it can be classed as the true World Cup of Motorsport what so ever, all I want is to be able to sit down and be entertained and that is what this series is all about and so far it delivers every time!

Purists are bound to criticise but we don't need any more stale single seater categorys we have enough,if you want pure racing watch other formulas!

Conratulations to all drivers for the races today and thankyou for 2 hours of gripping entertainment.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1520750)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I absolutely agree, McIntosh was magnificent.

As far as the safety car periods go, my real point is that I am sure the SC is used more than is strictly necessary, which is a shame. That said, on this occasion it did seem to take quite a while for them to sort some of the incidents out...

In terms of some of the offs - well, there was some brainless driving going on out there. Yes, it is good to see drivers putting their cars on the line - however, a little more thought and creativity would probably have netted better results. And results is what motor racing is all about.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1520752)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
I don't care whether it can be classed as the true World Cup of Motorsport what so ever, all I want is to be able to sit down and be entertained and that is what this series is all about and so far it delivers every time!
But that is how it has been marketed, and in that respect A1GP isn't living up to its own hype. Fantastic entertainment, yes - but then so was Bullseye, and that wasn't of the same standard of the World Darts Championship. A1GP hasn't yet done enough to establish itself as a going concern.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1520758)   #14
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
But that is how it has been marketed, and in that respect A1GP isn't living up to its own hype. Fantastic entertainment, yes - but then so was Bullseye, and that wasn't of the same standard of the World Darts Championship. A1GP hasn't yet done enough to establish itself as a going concern.
What in your opinion does it have to do then? Become a lower standard replica of F1 or just a clone of GP2.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1520761)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Ian, of the drivers available at the moment we are IMO getting the best drivers that are available due to their contractial obligations with the teams they will be racing with throughout the regular season. A1 GP is doing the best it can to get the best drivers it can find into the series, and that list of drivers I feel is pretty strong, probably around the same level as GP2 or Champ Cars. IMO.

Next year the series will be bigger and we will probably have a even better crop of drivers than we do now. Its also important to remember that nations like Indonesia and India and Lebanon dont have the motorsport history that many of us European and American nations have and therefore dont perhaps have the variety of drivers to choose from that we have in Europe and America. I think that quite often people forget this is A1 GP's maiden season.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1520770)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
What in your opinion does it have to do then? Become a lower standard replica of F1 or just a clone of GP2.
Neither of those things. The drivers need to use their head a little more at times, but that is an organic learning process. We all understand that.

The 'World Cup' concept falls down mainly, in my view, because the teams tend to be run by professional outfits that don't have a particular allegiance, in many cases, to the country which they represent. We all know why that is, but to the general public it would seem rather odd and not really in keeping with an inter-nation event. That is one area in which it is deficient in my view.

As I've said, the racing is fantastic and I got out of bed early on a Sunday morning to follow it. However, it currently doesn't have the momentum to move onto the next level, which is where the organisers wanted it to be, I believe.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1521005)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The 'World Cup' concept falls down mainly, in my view, because the teams tend to be run by professional outfits that don't have a particular allegiance, in many cases, to the country which they represent. We all know why that is, but to the general public it would seem rather odd and not really in keeping with an inter-nation event. That is one area in which it is deficient in my view.

As I've said, the racing is fantastic and I got out of bed early on a Sunday morning to follow it. However, it currently doesn't have the momentum to move onto the next level, which is where the organisers wanted it to be, I believe.
Some of the countries concerned simply don't have the necessary expertise. In time they may acquire it, but until then the present arrangement works well.

The organisers need to sort themselves out at the present level and do something about these persistent stories of financial troubles before they even think about moving up to another. For me,A1GP provides great entertainment pretty much as it is. I don't mind random results caused by different pit stop strategies, but it is frustrating when wheels keep sticking. These teams are not inexperienced; there must be a design flaw.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1521026)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Both races were great entertainment again!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1521439)   #19
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

The last two rounds have been fantastic viewing. This series is getting better all the time. Good to see some decent crowds at the venues as well.

Hre's to A1 GP continueing to get stronger.

(the only down side is that the commentary (we get the british team) is even worse than F1!)
Old 13 Feb 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1522198)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I am beginning to think that there are too many offs.
It's not the offs that worry me, so much as the way they come back on. I'm starting to think they need a special flag warning for 'Verstappen rejoining circuit"!

The racing is superb, though. If you want to pass someone, make sure you get it right, else someone will pass you instead. Exactly how it should be. I'd like to see less squeezing into the corner going on - if the guy is already locking up and you've got him right on the edge of the circuit, how exactly is he supposed to avoid hitting you when you take what's left of the track away from him? Not to mention either aerodynamics or push to pass (or both) mean that it's possible to overtake from much further back than normal.

My only question about the series now, is why do we need pit stops? It's obvious the tyres can last the distance comfortably, and it just breaks up the racing, especially given the number of stuck wheels we've seen. Since the cars can actually race, I'd do away with the stop and just let them get on with it.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1522237)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
(the only down side is that the commentary (we get the british team) is even worse than F1!)
Sorry, but I disagree totally. You probably get the international feed, as we do in the UK.

I think Ben Edwards and John Watson are excellent. There has been so much happening in the last couple of meetings that commentating must have been really difficult, but IMO they coped very well.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1522247)   #22
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
I think Ben Edwards and John Watson are excellent.
me too!
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1522249)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Same here, and it isnt just because they are British. Ben Edwards generally is a great commentator both in A1 GP and the BTCC, IMO. John Watson took a bit of getting used to at first I admit but once I got used to his style I found him to be pretty good too, hes always up to date with the latest goings on in the series and he does add a bit of humor at times too. IMO.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1522252)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
My only question about the series now, is why do we need pit stops? It's obvious the tyres can last the distance comfortably, and it just breaks up the racing, especially given the number of stuck wheels we've seen. Since the cars can actually race, I'd do away with the stop and just let them get on with it.
Personally I like the pitstops, but I do agree that at the moment it is a little pointless as the tyres can last the distance. However, it does mean that people who start near the back of the grid can make up places during the race, how? By stopping at the end of lap 2 and getting to come back out and run in clean air for example. Personally I would like to see the feature race be a little longer so that the cars would need to be re fuelled during the pitstop which would make things more interesting strategy wise too. Formula Nippon pitstops have re-fuelling going on during their pitstops as well as the tyre changes and it does make the races more interesting. IMO.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 04:00 (Ref:1522288)   #25
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ben Edwards is fine but he is overshadowed John Watson's dreadfulness. He has a very pompous and irritating voice and just makes far too many really obvious mistakes.