Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jul 2008, 05:29 (Ref:2248386)   #1
shorty226
Rookie

Australia
shorty226 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOYOTA entering v8's

everyone with all this ford budget stuff. i beleive now i sthe perfect time to launch a new manafatuer in to the v8supercars. i beleive Toyota is the best option and there has been rumors in auto action magazine that MERC's may race in the v8 supercars in the future. what is your opion on the topic?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 05:45 (Ref:2248390)   #2
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My opinion is this.
Cut back on your drinking until school holidays are finished and then listen to your teachers a lot more.
Oh, be nice to your mum.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2248398)   #3
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more advice....don't eat yellow snow and don't stand up in a canoe.

Please take this crap soemwhere else.........
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2248399)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes in our V8s, eh. That'll be the day!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2248439)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty226
everyone with all this ford budget stuff. i beleive now i sthe perfect time to launch a new manafatuer in to the v8supercars. i beleive Toyota is the best option and there has been rumors in auto action magazine that MERC's may race in the v8 supercars in the future. what is your opion on the topic?
Well Shorty, i,ll give you my opinion after the translator has finished with your bit of work, it is a challenge though.
PS, go easy on the fairy bread.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2248464)   #6
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Toyota entering V8 Supercars thing has been around for years now.. Dunno how true it ever was or is. If they did enter it would push up the development costs of GM and Ford I would have thought as Toyota would been pushing big money into that sort of project.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2248468)   #7
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shorty, it aint gunna happen anytime soon. You may believe Toyota is the best option but Toyota dont.

Shorty, have you met our friend Pro?

Youse both talk alike.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2248476)   #8
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shorty,your parents are right when they tell you if you play to much with your littlefella it will fall off!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2248496)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
shorty, my apologies that there are so many grumpy old men here. I find that many of them dont really have an opinion because alcohol and drugs have destroyed their brain matter or really they were never intelligent to begin with. (probably holden fans).

But anyway to paraphrase your question for the SOB's (silly old buggers)

Shorty believes that now would be a good time to introduce a new manufacturer to the V8 series and he thinks Toyota would be a good choice. He would like other peoples opinions?

Toyota will come on board in 2010, you can count on it. The talks have already started. Many people on here will be dissapointed by this, but it should have happened about 5 years ago. They will win the tirle in 2012, just in time for the new tv rights package. Triple 8 becoming manufactureless was just what Toyota needed to get a start. They will become the official works team (i dont know where Craig and Jamie will fit into this)
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2248506)   #10
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Peck, only time will tell if you're right....or maybe a press release from Toyota/888.

You can be sure than in 2010 someone will drag this thread back to the top

And again in 2012.

Perhaps it will be you.

Would I be sad if Toyota joined? Nup. Not at all. Perhaps I am a silly bugger, but I tend to believe the messages coming from Toyota saying they're not interested.

*MERC's* joining? I'd welcome them as well. Just cant see it happening.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2248509)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i cant see merc at all. Well the 2012 thing is just a guess (it could be 2011 ). but the 2010 thing well wait and see
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2248516)   #12
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shorty, are you Pro's long lost little brother ?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2248532)   #13
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all of you picking on shorty226 go back and watch the roland dane interview from saturday on the v8's on 7
Old 10 Jul 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2248553)   #14
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Roland did mention Volvo...

Mind you, the old VD Team did OK.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2248588)   #15
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Roland did mention Volvo...
Problem for Roland is Ford own Volvo!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2248710)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Many people on here will be dissapointed by this, but it should have happened about 5 years ago.
I actually reckon most people on here would be pleased to see other makes finally allowed to compete.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2248904)   #17
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether they would be pleased or not makes absolutely no difference. The issue is purely a commercial one. Does Toyota potentially see the opportunity tobroaden their market appeal to V8SC fans by becoming involved? They seem to have answered yes to a similar question in the USA by entering NASCAR but the size of the market probably determined that. It'd be REALLY hard to justify the multi millions it would cost for them to become competitive in V8SC when the size of the potential market is taken into account....
Old 10 Jul 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2248906)   #18
shorty226
Rookie

Australia
thanks people for your nice comments. NOT
naa but some teams have been in contact with Toyota frequently. TASMAN/Sprint gas racing have. Roland dane said they have been aswell. give it 5 years and toyota will be racing the front end of the V8 supercars seris
Old 10 Jul 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2248916)   #19
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty226
thanks people for your nice comments. NOT

give it 5 years and toyota will be racing the front end of the V8 supercars seris
Shorty, the bigger question is, with the current International Ecconomic Climate, what will the product currently known as V8 Supercars look like in five years ?

The Aurion might actually be a winning car, (if they are back to 6 cyl Supercars by then,) with that couple of hundred Killer Wasps under the bonnet.....
Old 11 Jul 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2248925)   #20
shorty226
Rookie

Australia
true that. but if toyota use a 6 cylinder cars in supercars that brings up ford using the xr6 turbo and holden with all the talk they are making a torana overseas and putting a twin turbo 6 in it then that creates kind of a level playing field. but i would like to see all cars using the same engines just with NASCAR type shells so we could have a ford falcon, Holden commodore and a Toyota Aurion racing
Old 11 Jul 2008, 01:40 (Ref:2248943)   #21
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard the Merc rumour as well and it is something that comes with some credence. Think who the Silver arrow's #1 sponsor in the DTM is... Vodafone.... follow my lead ?? ;-)
Old 11 Jul 2008, 02:33 (Ref:2248954)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A McLaren designed Mercedes C Class... with technology borrowed from 888... paid for by "Making the Most of Now"

Yours for $2m a car
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Jul 2008, 02:48 (Ref:2248955)   #23
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead
Whether they would be pleased or not makes absolutely no difference. The issue is purely a commercial one. Does Toyota potentially see the opportunity tobroaden their market appeal to V8SC fans by becoming involved? They seem to have answered yes to a similar question in the USA by entering NASCAR but the size of the market probably determined that. It'd be REALLY hard to justify the multi millions it would cost for them to become competitive in V8SC when the size of the potential market is taken into account....
I agree, but what if, say Nissan or Mitsu, use the V8's as a push to boost sales in Australia, could Toyota afford not to be in the V8's?

My thought is, it is not Toyota that the V8's are pitching for, it's Dodge.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 02:50 (Ref:2248956)   #24
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it would align Vodafone's global Motor sport sponsorships uniquely with Mercedes. Not sure if Mercedes catchment is big enough in Australasia to warrant such an investment. Bahrain and even Singapore might just swing it though.... stranger things have happened GTR. On their recent Bathurst day, one of the drivers on hand was.... Jamie Whincup (if the rumours are true). Very big splash that little day on the mount. What else do they have planned. Hmmmm.

There can be no doubt that Triple 8 make an excellent platform for any manufacturer wishing to enter V8 racing. Now they are effectively on the market for a partner, this should ramp up the rumours of a 3rd maker entry at the least.

Jamie Whincup is contracted to Ford until the end of 2008. He is contracted to Triple 8 until the end of 2009, leaving him free to stay with the team whichever way they choose to go. Lowndes on the other hand is a more complex issue. Either driver (more likely JW) is a real show of carrying the #1 plate into 2009, making them a very attractive propostion indeed.

Toyota's (or whoevers) major barrier to entry was the lack of a suitable engineering partner. That barrier has just been removed. Without a Prodrive, 888 or WP as a partner, Toyota would have bourne all of the development costs themselves by having to set-up their own show. Now they don't have to because it is there on a platter, ready to go sitting at Bowen Hills. It is even dressed in nice Red (or silver).

Weither V8, RWD Aurion fits in their marketing strategy remains to be seen....

Last edited by Wood-duck; 11 Jul 2008 at 02:52.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2249007)   #25
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sweeping stuff

[QUOTE=Wood-duc

Toyota's (or whoevers) major barrier to entry was the lack of a suitable engineering partner.

Weither V8, RWD Aurion fits in their marketing strategy remains to be seen....[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest 99% the latter (marketing), the former (engineering), nil%