Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2023, 05:56 (Ref:4169497)   #151
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That makes sense. While accurate and actionable technical feedback is probably helpful, at the end of the day, job #1 is speed in the car. I also have to wonder... if your in car performance is demonstrably bad, might there also be a question as to the accuracy or usefulness of your feedback?

Richard
I think if you are aware of what is going on with your car the information, if it corresponded to data download would still be helpful.
Yuki was impressed that DeVries was able to observe and identify aspects of car behavior like what the front wing was doing on specific corners.

Something he couldn't do....
Old 23 Jul 2023, 06:43 (Ref:4169500)   #152
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At the end of the day, Red Bull will know what they're looking for in the data. They won't rely on perception with Ricciardo. It's true that Daniel didn't really know what kind of result to expect or aim for, but at the very least he has outpaced Tsunoda in an important session. I have no idea what they will see as important to be considered for a Red Bull seat, but it may include generally having the upper hand on Tsunoda over the balance of the season. Anyway, I cheered along with Born Racer Fan when he got into Q2 (she's more Ricciardo Fan really; I know who she'd like to marry given the chance).
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:08 (Ref:4169506)   #153
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He did a perfectly decent job, couldn't really have expected any more.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:45 (Ref:4169511)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He beat Tsunoda and got into Q2, so that's not a bad job done
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4169533)   #155
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far, Riccardo 11th, Tsunoda 15th.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4169549)   #156
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Q DR 1 - YT 0
R DR 1 - YT 0

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Jul 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4169564)   #157
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 23 Jul 2023, 23:44 (Ref:4169633)   #158
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Job done.

1. Out-qualify your teammate - tick

2. Beat your teammate in race - tick

Bonus point: After T1 incident, recover from last position to finish where he started.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 01:24 (Ref:4169637)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Job done.

1. Out-qualify your teammate - tick

2. Beat your teammate in race - tick

Bonus point: After T1 incident, recover from last position to finish where he started.
And called the strategy from the car, to get off the hard tyres and push thru 40 laps on the mediums..

It’s what experience buys..
Old 24 Jul 2023, 04:45 (Ref:4169642)   #160
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And called the strategy from the car, to get off the hard tyres and push thru 40 laps on the mediums..

It’s what experience buys..
A great call and run on those tyres for 40 laps.
Job done
Old 24 Jul 2023, 05:57 (Ref:4169644)   #161
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the salty voices got rather quiet in here all of a sudden.... maybe its the Ashes or something...

Nice recovery drive and a good showing for 8 months out of the car.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4169681)   #162
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a thoroughly decent job. Nothing world-shattering, but there's unlikely to be anything like that in that car, whoever drives it.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 10:48 (Ref:4169685)   #163
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Didn’t do much, but I never expected him too. But there needs to be a bit more from him in future races
Old 24 Jul 2023, 11:06 (Ref:4169690)   #164
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It was a thoroughly decent job. Nothing world-shattering, but there's unlikely to be anything like that in that car, whoever drives it.
Yes, certainly outperformed what NDV would likely have done and Yuki will now be out to pull his socks up for sure.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 11:29 (Ref:4169691)   #165
S griffin
Veteran

We’ll never know what de Vries could have done, but Tsunoda’s place is looking vulnerable now
Old 24 Jul 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4169694)   #166
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We’ll never know what de Vries could have done
LOL, of course we do. He had 11 races and Tsunoda was all over him on pace, to the surprise of some, and DR immediately outqualified Yuki.

Last edited by peebee2; 24 Jul 2023 at 11:53.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4169702)   #167
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
We’ll never know what de Vries could have done, but Tsunoda’s place is looking vulnerable now
Not really....
Old 24 Jul 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4169707)   #168
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given he has been out of a car for a while and this is a new car/team I would say it was overall very good weekend for Daniel. Both drivers are hampered by arguably the worst car (or one of the worst) cars on the grid. They both seemed to run different tire strategies during the race. The car performance seemed to be very tire dependent and the different tire strategies may have made it harder to do direct comparisons. No doubt someone with more time on their hands can look the data. Daniel had a great qualifying, but Yuki had a great start in the race. The team left Yuki on the hards for a really long time which I think didn't do him any favors at the end of that stint. Not to mention a seven second pitstop effectively erased Yuki's early race advances. Regardless, the car is slow, so I think they were always going to settle at the rear of the finishing order. I think given all of that it might be too early to tell yet regarding relative performance between the two drivers. But I tend to be impressed that Daniel was able to jump in and probably be as good or better than Nyck. I think the car and team are the biggest challenges those two drivers have to deal with.

Richard
Old 24 Jul 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4169710)   #169
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn’t do much, but I never expected him too. But there needs to be a bit more from him in future races

What more could he do ffs? Out of action for half a season and the car's a dog.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4169711)   #170
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see what DanR did wrong in Hungary. Got shunted. Ran a ridiculous strategy that worked. Didn't get points, but that's kinda standard for that car. It was fine? It wasn't earth shattering, but it was inoffensive competence?
Old 24 Jul 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4169717)   #171
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As it stands, they are well placed for RBR/AT right now. But in 2 seasons there will be changes. Of the two, I can see that it will be Riccardo that will remain. The main reason is that they will be partnered with Ford, and we know whom is "odd man out" in that scenario...

But don't worry, for further down the road is another team that will be separating from their present partner, and will be working with Honda by then. This is where Tsunoda steps in. A very capable #2 for Stroll, it will make things easier for both RBR and the post-AMR team, whatever Lawrence Stroll decides to name them.

Just my ¢2,make of it what you will...
Old 24 Jul 2023, 14:21 (Ref:4169719)   #172
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
As it stands, they are well placed for RBR/AT right now. But in 2 seasons there will be changes. Of the two, I can see that it will be Riccardo that will remain. The main reason is that they will be partnered with Ford, and we know whom is "odd man out" in that scenario...

But don't worry, for further down the road is another team that will be separating from their present partner, and will be working with Honda by then. This is where Tsunoda steps in. A very capable #2 for Stroll, it will make things easier for both RBR and the post-AMR team, whatever Lawrence Stroll decides to name them.

Just my ¢2,make of it what you will...
But Doesn't Stroll want to win?....
Old 24 Jul 2023, 17:30 (Ref:4169759)   #173
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
What more could he do ffs? Out of action for half a season and the car's a dog.
Drive better? Future world champions generally make themselves known quickly. The Jordan that Michael Schumacher drove or the Minardi which Fernando Alonso drove (admittedly worse than the Jordan) was not all that brilliant.

Oh you are referring to Ricciardo not de Vries, my bad. Ricciardo did good! Q2, solid top 15 result. That's what Red Bull would have expected from de Vries.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 18:17 (Ref:4169773)   #174
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nyck de Vries had 5 finishes in the top 15, his best being 12th at Monaco. Otherwise he had 4 finishes in 17th or lower and 1 retirement at Azerbaijan.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4169790)   #175
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the few posts above mine is about what the expectations are for Daniel. It you look at Nyck, while he finished ahead of Yuki twice, on average he was finishing a bit more than two positions below Yuki. He delta was... -3, -3, -5, DNF, -7, +3, -2, -4, +2, -1

Only Daniel and AT/Red Bull know what has been communicated to him regarding his performance, but I would assume he is expected to have some ramp up time (which is why I think his performance this past weekend was good as he was at least on par with his teammate) and then they probably expect him to beat Yuki.

However, I wonder (and the team does maybe as well), how much the car is going to hold him back. For example what if Yuki is already working close to the maximum of the car? Then Daniel should not be able to significantly put Yuki in his shadow. Or the car might have more performance in it and potentially Daniel might expose that. Team data should be telling them if there is more speed in the car that the drivers are not exposing.

I think it will continue to be interesting to watch how things develop at AT.

Richard