Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 5 May 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1601366)   #1
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Bit of Advice

Hey chaps and chap-esses,

I need a bit of advice from you guys please. I'm looking at hanging up the marshal suit (at least part time) and starting to take some photos around the place.

I have a reasonable amount to spend on a camera and lens and after reading up on a few choices I need some confirmation and opinions from the people who know best. As I don't know them I'll ask you lot...

Anyway, the option I appear to have landed upon is a Canon EOS 20D teamed up with a Sigma 100/300 lens.

All comments welcome as well as suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks

JB
Old 5 May 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1601370)   #2
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20D is a excellent body.

What are the specs of the lens though?
Old 5 May 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1601371)   #3
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't looked at the specs of the lens too much James. I'm open to suggestions with it really. Is it a reasonable piece of glass?

Edit: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens.../100-300mm.htm for the specs on the lens

Last edited by jonbryant; 5 May 2006 at 17:39.
Old 5 May 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1601401)   #4
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Sorry to double post but used up my edit. How about the 50/500 instead? Seems more versatile.
Old 5 May 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1601421)   #5
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
That 100-300mm can shot at apeture F4 through the range, it would probably server you quite well. Although somtimes 300mm is a bit short, especially at Silverstone, and 100mm is too long when you're really close up.

I have the 50-500mm, and it's pretty good, quite versatile and a very good lens.

What kind of budget do you have?
Old 5 May 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1601429)   #6
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
About £1500-ish but maybe a bit more if required. That's obviously for both body and lens.

I'd heard good things about the 50/500. It's especially useful where I'm only going to be getting the one lens that is going to have to do for everything.
Old 5 May 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1601482)   #7
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
DWA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sigma lenses are generally pretty good but the build quality and the glass is not as good, normally, than manufacturers own brand lenses, particularly Canon 'L' spec. Why not see if a good secondhand Canon lens can be sourced to accompany the 20D. ( Next time we are both at Brands and you have the 20D to hand you can have a play with one of my Canon lenses during one of the races I am not covering to see what you think)
Old 5 May 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1601489)   #8
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jonbryant - I have PM'd you

Phil
Old 5 May 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1601501)   #9
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try looking around for a Canon lens and see how the prices compare.

Then i just have to get better...
Old 6 May 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1601637)   #10
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWIW, I use the Sigma 100-300 F4 on my 20D. It's heavy, but it's sharp even at F4. It's rated quite well at places like fredmiranda.com.
I managed to grab mine secondhand for a bargain price ($850 Australian). There's nothing in the Canon range that has similar focal length and aperture though. There is the 100-400 IS L lens, but even a used example is more than twice (sometimes almost 3 times) what I paid for my lens, and it's slower at the long end and is pus-pull for zoom (I don't like them personally). The alternative is maybe a 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4X or 2X extender. Again, this combo is significantly more expensive than the Sigma option even if purchasing the Canon gear secondhand. Prices may vary a bit over in Europe, so it's definitely worth checking pricing and maybe seeing if you can locate a secondhand example. Personally I find the 50-500 to not be good enough for my use. It's a very versatile lens, but a little slow, and heavy to be carrying as an all in one
Old 6 May 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1601776)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jon,
I use a couple of Sigma lense' on my Canon 350D and I get excellent results, for an amateur!
No doubt if photography is your living you would need better equipment, but for pleasure I do not reckon that paying a lot extra for genuine Canon would be worthwhile. (That assumes you are not mega rich.)
After many years of 'film photography' the quality of digital is amazing.
Old 7 May 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1602157)   #12
Pigit
Racer

United Kingdom
Bromley Kent
Pigit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWIW,i use sigma lenses all the time and see more and more people using them and as yet have never had a problem with them.There EX HSM lens are there pro range and pound for pound they are awsome. DWA do you or have you used a Pro Sigma lens.Paul.GT
Old 7 May 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1602436)   #13
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jonbryant - I didn't get your email
Old 7 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1602625)   #14
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
[QUOTE=Pigit. DWA do you or have you used a Pro Sigma lens.Paul.GT[/QUOTE]

I have never used a Sigma Pro or EX lens. Used to use several Sigma lenses when I used Nikon with 35mm film. Binned the Nikons and Sigma lenses when switched to Canon for digital as was convinced by several of the other photographers and Canon Pro shop that they where better, which after the switch and 3 years use still don't think Nikon have caught up. Did a quick count up of who was using Nikon /Canon in the various sports I cover and was about 60/40 split in Canons favour. Generally I feel that the Canon 'L' lenses that I use focus quicker and take the physical abuse that they get better than Sigma would. But I appreciate that not everybody can afford these, nor may want to spend the sums required if they had it. But in my case I cannot afford to be let down with problems when at a track and I am prepared to pay the extra for the peace of mind this gives. Plus being a CPS member if I do get a problem usually gets fixed in a couple of days.
Got nothing against Sigma lenses, they are probably the best of the non manufacturer lenses, but not for me.
Old 8 May 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1603077)   #15
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I currently use Sigma. I've got a Sigma APO 50-500mm f4 / 6.3 and a Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8, and I do get very good results from them. Click links to see etc
http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/2006/des...1/img_9629.jpg
http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/desktops.htm

I took on sigma lenses because the quality is close to Canon on a much more affordable price, but I have to be honest and admit that I am intching to upgrade to Canon L glass.

jonbryant, I wonder if you could stretch you budget you might plump for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM instead of the Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM.

Digitalrev are selling the canon for £879.99 click on link
http://digitalrev.com/en/product_det...category_id=13

Or if your budget isn't very flexible you could consider plumping for the 20D or maybe even 10D, both still very good bodies.

--------------

I'm currently hoping to either replace add the canon to my equipment in the next few months... I don't suppose anyone has one to sell for a good price?
Old 8 May 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1603583)   #16
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Thanks for the input guys. With a couple of recommendations I may have revised my spec slightly to perhaps a 350D and the Canon lens as spec by James.

Would you be happy that 100-400 f4.5 is suitable?
Old 8 May 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1603608)   #17
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Yes, I'd say the 100-400, would be a very good lens to have trackside. The L glass is very highly rated and the IS is supposed to be a help as well especially with slower shutter speeds.

It might be a bit limiting in the paddock/pits though and you would end up stepping back a heck of a lot to get your subject in frame and possibly end up getting run over.

But I've learnt that I can acheive fairly reasonable quality in the pits with cheap n nasty lens.

Take a peep at this
http://www.f1-jimages.co.uk/2006/des...6/img_9122.jpg
taken with 18-55 that comes in kits with canon bodies.
Old 8 May 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1603625)   #18
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Ok then James. I think you've convinced me! I'm gonna drop into Jesosps tomorrow and check up on the body and how that feels. Should be able to get everything under budget then! Hurrah!

JB
Old 8 May 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1603629)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thinking about a new bit of glass, as I am finding that 300 is just a tad short and I struggling at some tracks, I really noticed it at Silverstone this weekend. Anyway I am currently between the Canon 100-400 and the Sigma 80-400, it a tough call.
Old 8 May 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1603640)   #20
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
I think you need a telescope for Silverstone...
Old 8 May 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1603645)   #21
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I thinking about a new bit of glass, as I am finding that 300 is just a tad short and I struggling at some tracks, I really noticed it at Silverstone this weekend. Anyway I am currently between the Canon 100-400 and the Sigma 80-400, it a tough call.
Between those two, at my current level of knowledge and experience I'd go for the canon. Without a second thought.

300 is a bit short at Silverstone, I tend to use between 400-500.
Old 9 May 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1604460)   #22
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
Jon I am surprised that you had any doubts about the 100 - 400 Canon lens as I have had one for some time and I seem to remember you having a look through it late last year. It is worth looking at the secondhand stock of Canon Pro Dealers as they often have suitable glass at reasonable prices. I got my 70 - 200 f2.8 this way for £700. Canon website I think lists the dealers.
Old 9 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1604488)   #23
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Couldn't remember which lens you had mate! From memory I think I just looked at the pics it produced and not through the viewfinder.

Had a quick look at a 350D body at lunch so I think it'll be that and the 100-400. Only concern with the 350D is the 3fps rate which I think seems a bit low but hey ho - you get what you pay for! Might have a peek through if you're there for the WTCC? Should be in the usual position...
Old 9 May 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1604523)   #24
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
Couldn't remember which lens you had mate! From memory I think I just looked at the pics it produced and not through the viewfinder.

Had a quick look at a 350D body at lunch so I think it'll be that and the 100-400. Only concern with the 350D is the 3fps rate which I think seems a bit low but hey ho - you get what you pay for! Might have a peek through if you're there for the WTCC? Should be in the usual position...
Why go for the 350D when the 20D offers 5fps then?
Old 9 May 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1604525)   #25
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Cos then I can afford the Canon lens rather than the Sigma. I guess it comes down to where I should spend the money - the body or the glass...