Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Jun 2003, 18:26 (Ref:628590)   #1
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Tourer Challenge Races

I have had confirmation of a date for next year for the proposed Super Tourer Challenge races. It be a series of races to will be held at Snetterton on the 3rd and 4th of July 2004.
This is open to anyone from any country who ownes a 2 ltr Super Tourer to ex BTCC spec.
I am going to Norway in July to see the teams that run Supers as they expressed a strong interest when this was first mentioned.
If anyone is interested whether they be drivers or potential sponsors then please contact me on 07768 455105.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 18:30 (Ref:628597)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Fantasic news Garry. Now if Alan Gow or anyone from TOCA is reading PLEASE don't schedule a BTCC race that weekend.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 20:54 (Ref:628858)   #3
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or if they do, make it at Snet!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 20:56 (Ref:628865)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or wouldn't it be nice if the ST Challenge race be made the support race for a Toca event??? You would have ETCC and ST all together!!!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 21:04 (Ref:628882)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

Re: Super Tourer Challenge Races

Quote:
Originally posted by garry
This is open to anyone from any country who ownes a 2 ltr Super Tourer to ex BTCC spec.
Why just ex-BTCC spec??? Why not just any ST spec?
Old 12 Jun 2003, 10:39 (Ref:629255)   #6
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because a lot of the ST's out there were ex-BTCC, and would probably have the bits needed to put them back to BTCC spec. Also its Snetterton and the spec would work the best for that track.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 16:04 (Ref:629552)   #7
garry
Racer

Untill we know how many cars are inetrested and what spec they are we cannot make any hard and fast rules. The ex-bttc spec is at this moment only a guideline. What we want to steer away from are any ST's that have been modified. At the moment the only hard and fast rules would be not exceeding 2ltr and must run on Dunlops, we may also consider everyone running on 1 type of fuel. Although this is a friendly and there is nothing exciting up for grabs we still want it to be run on as level a playing field as possible. Although I am no expert I am sure that all Super Tourers were made very very similar through out the world with a lot of them coming from the BTCC and any modifications away from the BTCC rules were minor.
In Formula Saloons we run to ex-BTCC rules, the only mods aloud are that you may run later than the year of your car spec gear as long as those parts were homologated.
This meeting is only in its infancy and I am sure that after talking to all those interested and after my visit to Norway things like rules will fall into place to satisfy as many people as possible.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 16:16 (Ref:629559)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds excellent, Garry! Are TOCA aware of this planned event? As has been said, it'd be a real pain in the butt to have to decide between a TOCA event and the ST Challenge Race should they both be scheduled for the same weekend!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 16:26 (Ref:629567)   #9
garry
Racer

TOCA will not have any Super Tourers running at their meetings because we will be quicker than the new cars and will remind people of how good the ST's were and how horrible the new ones are. We know this as Formula Saloons was put forward as a suggested guest race and when they found out that what we were running they quickly booted the idea out the window.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 16:31 (Ref:629572)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's a shame. It was also a shame that the series never raced on the F3/GT support bill as planned a year or so ago. I am aware of the reasons that the Powertour race didn't happen but it's a good series and it really should be seen by more people! Let's hope the Challenge Race enables a few new people to get along and enjoy seeing these old cars again.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 17:14 (Ref:629609)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by garry
TOCA will not have any Super Tourers running at their meetings because we will be quicker than the new cars and will remind people of how good the ST's were and how horrible the new ones are.
A slight bias there!! But I have to agree!!!

Well, I hope to see a 20+ car grid again!! Imagine that sight!!! Wow, if the races go ahead, perhaps I can save up enough money to visit and watch this historic(???) race!!!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 20:49 (Ref:629880)   #12
garry
Racer

KMCHOW, no bias intended but i am sure that there is no one outthere including TOCA who could put thier hand on their heart and say that the new cars are better than the ST's. However I have nothing but respect for Mr West and his team as they had a horrible job of having to change the BTCC. They were never going to be able to better the ST's but I think they have done a brilliant job uptill now and with Gow at the helm again things will get better. I still enjoy watching the racing but apart from the Astra's nothing looks like a proper race saloon.
In answer to Craigs post, The Formula Saloon Car Club is starting to promote the meetings the series are at to raise awarness. Although we would like to be at a well attended meeting we do not feel that it would benefit us unless we raced at a reasonable time. As the only really big meetings are TOCA ( No chance of being on that ) or F3/GT we would not get to race at a premium time. As it is we are better off having garages and prime slots at our own meetings and doing our own promotions. However having said that we are always open to offers.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:47 (Ref:633296)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Well, one bit of good news today. If TOCA's provisional calendar doesn't change there's a nice gap that weekend. And as the GP is the following weekend I can't see TOCA wanting a race on the 4th
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:08 (Ref:633407)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Good stuff!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:47 (Ref:633453)   #15
AdamED
Racer

AdamED should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ithink you should try and get the formula saloons to knockhill. Hint hint (PLEASE)
Old 16 Jun 2003, 22:46 (Ref:633616)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would like to see the Super Tourers again, but it's a question of if I can afford/be bothered to be well far down in England 2 weekends in a row next July...
Old 23 Jun 2003, 07:14 (Ref:639776)   #17
vtti
Rookie

vtti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what the biggest grid of Super Tourers was in this country and who from England has the best chance in this event?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:10 (Ref:641045)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by vtti
Anyone know what the biggest grid of Super Tourers was in this country and who from England has the best chance in this event?
It was back in '94 BTCC, they had quite consistent grids of 27-28 cars at certain events. I think the all time ST grid was either in the STCC or STW. The STW had like 30 cars and this was in '97-99 if I recall.

Last edited by kmchow; 24 Jun 2003 at 05:12.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:38 (Ref:641059)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are 20 or so ST cars here in Australia and the very best entry they can muster for an equivalent locally is 8 cars, one of which is a converted RS500 Sierra in 2lt N/A spec... so I wouldnt get too excited just yet
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Jun 2003, 02:28 (Ref:642177)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

The NATCC had a high of 12 cars, of which only 11 were able to start in '97. By '97, there were about 20 cars in the country as well. However, cars always appeared as others disappeared.

At the height of the ASTC in '96 or '97, I think they mustered something like 23-24 entries at Lakeside, shortly after the Bathurst 1000.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 00:31 (Ref:645732)   #21
kmchow
Veteran

Any news or updates regarding how many teams have signed up for this historic event??
Old 29 Jun 2003, 09:04 (Ref:645839)   #22
garry
Racer

No News yet. I am in contact with norway and trying to get in contact with anyone in Sweden. It is early days yet.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 21:29 (Ref:656254)   #23
garry
Racer

I got back yesterday from a weekend at the Artic Circle Raceway in Northern Norway where I was visiting the NTCC.
The Circuit is fantastic and must be one of the most Challenging in Europe if not the World. If anyone gets the chance to race here grab it with both hands. I met with the drivers in the NTCC and we had a meeting regarding the Challenge races and the outcome was positive. All the drivers where very friendly and I was very impressed with the standard of driving, not just in the NTCC but all the series that were racing there that weekend.
If the budget is there next year it is hoped that at least 5 cars will make the trip.
I am still trying to make contact with other Europeans but things look pretty good at this stage.
Spread the word.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 02:31 (Ref:657539)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

Hey, I was wondering, have you tried contacting manufacturers to see if they would sponsor the one off race? As well, I wish you continued success and cooperation in gathering more ST cars!!!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 16:46 (Ref:675465)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So if it is the weekend before next years British GP ( if there is one!) it will probably clash with the Festival of Speed at Goodwood, so anyone planning that far ahead - do Goodwood Saturday and Snett Sun!