Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Dec 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2345744)   #51
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did,nt put an entry in for it.

Or did you mean that running thingy that weird people do?
Old 2 Dec 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2345753)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Crikee Peter i thought your Capri was rebuilt last Winter. So we have got you worried with the re run at Spa next year.Next you will be telling me Terrance has been out jogging.
I'm apparently a profit centre, it gets rebuilt every year!
Old 2 Dec 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2345762)   #53
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Wrong.

Can't do a quick snatch if the handbrake is on.
I know you are right Peter but do you honestley believe one of our stupid little handbrakes would stop one of those great big yellow things doing "a quick snatch" . They would tear the axle out and not know they had done it.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2345776)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not if the marshals have to move the car first, which was my point.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2345796)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It was underway Pete don't worry! remind me to give you some lessons in sticker application:-)
Old 2 Dec 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2345808)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ive allready mentioned Peters stickers on the Spa thread Al. "nice and straight" arn't they.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2345847)   #57
Pretty Vacant
Rookie

England
Deepest Darkest Dorset
Pretty Vacant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another word of advice is not to swear heavily whilst in the capable hands of the medics in the medical centre if you've been unfortunate enough to need their help.

They do charge and expect donations in the swear box!
Old 2 Dec 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2345851)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
%&x**)== xx ing cheap at half the price.!!
Old 2 Dec 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2345869)   #59
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
%&x**)== xx ing cheap at half the price.!!
ask a certain tr driver if he agrees
Old 2 Dec 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2345889)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ive allways made a point to go back year after year and see the medics at varios circuits.Not sure if they remember me but i like to say thanks.One medic at Oulton took pictures of my leg when i got burnt on the Compte's FJ. He's allways keen to see how the leg's getting on.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2345911)   #61
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Wrong.

Can't do a quick snatch if the handbrake is on.
Oh whoops, didnt word it right. what i meen is: ensure your car is parked in such a way that it is not likely to endanger youself or others (craig inskip nearly run himself other at lydden)

In older cars i wouldnt rely on the handbrake anyway
Old 3 Dec 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2346071)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
Oh whoops, didnt word it right. what i meen is: ensure your car is parked in such a way that it is not likely to endanger youself or others (craig inskip nearly run himself other at lydden)
9 April 1995, I followed that advice. I parked the car on its roof over the barrier at Park Corner at Cadwell. That far enough out of the way for you?
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2346427)   #63
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ha'porth on the main topic, mostly obvious but anyway:
- on your practice outlap, watch for the marshalls' posts holding out the green flags so you know where to look once you're at speed; the marshalls are extremely good at giving you vital information
- at the start line, remember to select the right gear (come on, who's dropped the clutch on neutral or 3rd ? At least I haven't done that....yet...)
- mirrors, keep an eye on mirrors as well as the blue (and other) flags
- agree with earlier comments, if you get to the corner racing line first, it's yours, you can stick to it; lapping cars should have enough performance advantage to find a way round you if they know where you are going
- however, if you do decide to stay out of the way of the gaggle of rich kids in huge V8s storming up behind you, decide early and plan ahead, because you'll probably put yourself on the marbles with less grip, and you really don't want to spin in front of them
- if you start haemorrhaging fluids, pull off the racing line and off the circuit as soon as it is safe to do so (ie don't lunge onto the grass, lose it and get spat back on), so that your leaks don't ruin someone else's day
- if you go into the gravel but can rejoin, stay off the circuit and do what you can to shake loose gravel from the car rather than dump it all over the exit and braking points
- if you are about to be lapped and you have a car where hand signals can be seen, and you have a spare hand apart from steering, changing gear, remapping your engine, knotting your tie, holding the door shut and putting the gearknob back on, point to the side you expect the overtaking car to go; they might even thank you
- double-check rolling start procedures (number of green flag laps), they vary...
- take it easy, enjoy yourself - it's fun, not F1
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2346523)   #64
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Crikee Andrew and all thats just getting to collecting area
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2346548)   #65
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
Well you buggers who've been racing since the last century might not remember your first race but I can, and it was completely overwhelming...First time round Brands...In the rain...In a borrowed, more powerful car because mine broke...I don't think I stopped shaking for days...
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2346553)   #66
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Recon your sand bagging Andrew. Just to let you know Jims having the Westminster engine rebuilt and the engine builder recons on a lot more power for next year. Mind you they all say that.!!!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2346571)   #67
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
Hope he's checking with Mike Harris before he spends too much money? How much is magnetic paint these days?

Another tip Smokystove, don't listen to competitors who try to psyche you out before the season even starts
Old 3 Dec 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2346575)   #68
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He's in regularity.He has no chance if he follows your tips.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2346667)   #69
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
He's in regularity.He has no chance if he follows your tips.
I really DO understand that there is a difference between circuit driving and regularities, and understand your concern. I started this thread specifically about circuit etiquette because that's one of my aspirations and want to know more before jumping in (again, probably some time down the road). But it brings to mind that perhaps someone as yourself with the experience of both should start a thread on Regularity etiquette, that would also be informative, and perhaps put your mind at ease!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2346922)   #70
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davenall
- at the start line, remember to select the right gear (come on, who's dropped the clutch on neutral or 3rd ? At least I haven't done that....yet...)
That's no problem, I've been in a couple of races where the drivers have selected reverse !, one was at Brands and as we all went for it a Camaro came flying back through the field at the rate of knots.
I won't mention his name but he used to run a lot of Ford Motorsport teams !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Dec 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2346938)   #71
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There all racers on here,pretend and actual,and are not regular in any way so it would be a waste and they would all tell you I not good at etiquette or do's and dont's
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2347125)   #72
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about paddock etiquette?

Have been at some meetings where the paddock is higher at one end than the other. And guess what who ever is at the top decides to purge fluids from their car which then roll all the way down throught the rest of us! Not nice at all! you end up swimming in oil, brake fluid, water and god knows what else!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2347162)   #73
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a certain Capri driver washed his car at SPa a few years ago and sent a ravine through our awning
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2347184)   #74
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
a certain Capri driver washed his car at SPa a few years ago and sent a ravine through our awning
Must have been Dell Boy with the Ghia !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2347194)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nah,he did.nt bring any with him.Theres always the option of arriving a little earlier Zola.
Now,about that big switch!