Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Apr 2010, 02:21 (Ref:2679179)   #26
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Good on Nissan for sticking up for themselves, it sounds like the equalization wasnt done fairly at all. I really hope they race at Silverstone though and the FIA cuts them a break.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 02:50 (Ref:2679185)   #27
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Good on Nissan for sticking up for themselves, it sounds like the equalization wasnt done fairly at all. I really hope they race at Silverstone though and the FIA cuts them a break.
While in part I agree with you, this puts the SRO in a bad place. Unhappy with your results, presedence shows that if you threaten to pull your entry, you will get a weight break. How can the SRO allow that?
Old 25 Apr 2010, 03:58 (Ref:2679193)   #28
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
They may possibly have gotten a better weight break in the first place if the testing had've been uniformly done to all cars, e.g same number of laps in every car and in the same conditions (time of day etc).
Old 26 Apr 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2679680)   #29
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
They may possibly have gotten a better weight break in the first place if the testing had've been uniformly done to all cars, e.g same number of laps in every car and in the same conditions (time of day etc).
How do you ultimately accomplish that without climate control?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 02:26 (Ref:2679695)   #30
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The conditions aren't gonna be 100% the same, but he means to test one on a sunny dry track and the other on a damp cooler track.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2679788)   #31
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have had performance balancing for some time now and I fully understand the reasons for it but have to say I am not convinced that it can ever be totally fair.

The formula cars in single seater races are the best we have in terms of equal equipment and in sportscars a formula can be laid down in LMP terms but this gets screwed up when we involve more than one fuel type. Where production cars are concerned I really don't know how you do it unless engine size and weight/tyresize/ride height etc are stipulated. No restrictions on engine size is always going to give you problems.

To make decisions based on subjective performance tests, no matter who does the driving is certainly going to give rise to complaints and gamesmanship.

What is wrong with setting predetermined restictor sizes based on engine capacity and stipulate homologated production engines, gearboxes and minimum weights, perhaps a control fuel and bodywork as showroom?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2679792)   #32
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Me? I like Belcar rules. X KG per BHP. Simple.

However, I appreciate some cars working better on high speed circuits, others on tight and twisty stuff. Makes a season more interesting...

Plus, the way you have it, some manufacturer will run away and hide, which nobody wants?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2679932)   #33
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Me? I like Belcar rules. X KG per BHP. Simple.
Do they use the published BHP figure or measure on a rolling road?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2679935)   #34
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Neither... Belcar has been (at least in its top class) GT3 for the last 3 or 4 years.

One series that does power to weight quite successfully is the Dutch Supercar Challenge.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2679990)   #35
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Yes sorry, my mistake. Dutch Supercars.

(Sounds of self flagellation fading....)
Old 26 Apr 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2680067)   #36
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Dutch Supercar. They use a mandatory data logger and also a rolling road (at least in the past). All fine for club racing, not sure if it works 100% on a WC level.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2680509)   #37
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My ever-reliable source advises ballast removed from the Nissans. Just aswell seeing as they are the only manufacturer truly behind the series.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2680677)   #38
pkollo
Rookie

pkollo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://fia.com/en-GB/sport/championships/Pages/gt.aspx

very interesting decisions!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2680926)   #39
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Good to hear. Probably not the best idea to anger the only manufacturer who directly built a car to the new regulations and supplies the safety cars....
Old 28 Apr 2010, 07:29 (Ref:2680939)   #40
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette:
+40 kg to the minimum weight of the car which is 1200 kg. The total is 1240 kg

Maserati:
+35 kg to the minimum weight of the car which is 1200 kg. The total is 1235 kg.
add 2 restrictors of a maximum diameter of 31.2 mm.

Aston Martin:
-50 kg from the minimum weight of the car which is 1200 kg. The total is 1150 kg.

Nissan:-20 kg from the minimum weight of the car which is 1250 kg. The total is 1230 kg

Lamborghini:-10 kg from the minimum weight of the car which is 1200 kg. The total is 1190 kg.
add 2 restrictors of a maximum diameter of 32.8 mm (instead of 32 mm).

No adjustment for the Ford GT, that dominated at Yas Marina :-|
Old 28 Apr 2010, 07:37 (Ref:2680941)   #41
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . it was actually more Grosjean than ford .. but i see your point ..

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Apr 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2681139)   #42
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was pretty strange that all the cars except the Ford had adjustments. Are we going to be seeing this after every race? that could get old fast.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2681166)   #43
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, it was only the one Ford that performed THAT well in Abu Dhabi. I don't recall seeing the second Matech Ford in the races, though I'm not exactly surprised, but the Marc VDS cars certainly weren't running away with anything, and their driver lineups aren't especially poor.

I find the level of weight reduction for the Astons a bit surprising (on the high side from what I would have expected). Conversely, I would have thought the Nissans needed more weight off.

I do wish they would have left the Corvettes and Maseratis alone, and just taken more weight off and added more power to the Nissans, Astons, and Lambos to speed them up.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2681170)   #44
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The second Matech Ford GT was the one that Natacha Gachnang pranged in qualifying, breaking her leg.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2681223)   #45
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And even if they had another driver to put in under force majeure, I believe the chassis is written off. They had to perform a fairly major operation on the thing to cut her out of it!

I think that a lot of the pace of the lead Ford was down to having the lead development driver in Thomas Mutsch and arguably one of the most talented young drivers in the world in Romain Grosjean driving it, under the auspices of the organization that developed it. To restrict the car based on someone putting together the best program would be rubbish IMO. If the VDS cars also end up dominating, then something should be done.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2681293)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I did say I wasn't exactly surprised about not seeing the second Matech car in the races, as yes, that was the one Natasha put into the wall head first.

Just wondering out loud here, but is the Marc VDS Team basically the Belgian Racing Team, just under a new label?
Old 28 Apr 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2681336)   #47
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Essentially. VDS is Count Marc van der Straten who is a wealthy enthusiast, and Marc VDS is the banner under which he has consolidated his efforts as VDS Racing and Belgian Racing Team together with a new Moto2 program. They run rally raid as well as the GT1 and GT3 programs, Eric de Doncker is involved and Didier de Radigues is running the bike end of things. Nice to see the 'gentleman' team owner concept.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2681544)   #48
rob21
Rookie

rob21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkollo View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 3 May 2010, 04:04 (Ref:2683582)   #49
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Anybody think that maybe they took a bit too much weight off of the Aston Martins?
Old 3 May 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2683587)   #50
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
+30 for the Astons I would reckon..
and a -20 for Corvettes

Ciao Marco