Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Dec 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2082945)   #1
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YGK back?

EI has info on the announcement of a new LMP1 from Japan using a YGK powerplant.

Apparently developed by a Japanese university and a former Nissan employee. The engine is a 4.0L Turbo V8 developed by YGK. Only a mock-up of the car so far, but the engine certainly exists.

From what I understand, the project will be fully unveiled at Le Mans.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2083026)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359

isn't that a bit risky? I would want to not only run it but race it several times before the Big LM24.

However, it is great to see NEW or reNEWED blood back in
Old 6 Dec 2007, 19:00 (Ref:2083032)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think the car will be unveiled at Le Mans and race in 2009.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2083035)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Risky - absolutely, but not unheard of, I seem to remember that the current Pilbeam debuted at Le Mans - any others in recent years?

Getting an entry is, of course, a different story - not having run prior to Le Mans strikes me as making it a big ask to get the ACO to allow it in, especially as there could be a long list of prototypes wanting to come.

Alternatively is it more the idea to have the chassis at Le Mans and show it off rather than enter it?
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2083105)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
A chassis shouldnt be allowed to race at Le Mans unless it has competed in a series or has pedigree . The grid places are too few to have an unproven machine .

Jesus , I remember the BRM that retired on the first lap at Le Mans back in the 90's .

Just a disgrace !!!

Same applies to drivers , who have to do the test day and have to qualify in daylight and night .

Personally , I think its cheeky to expect an entry with an unproven chassis over a possible worthy team . If they want an entry ..... race it !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 6 Dec 2007 at 20:17.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2083119)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
A chassis shouldnt be allowed to race at Le Mans unless it has competed in a series or has pedigree . The grid places are too few to have an unproven machine .

Jesus , I remember the BRM that retired on the first lap at Le Mans back in the 90's .

Just a disgrace !!!

Same applies to drivers , who have to do the test day and have to qualify in daylight and night .

Personally , I think its cheeky to expect an entry with an unproven chassis over a possible worthy team . If they want an entry ..... race it !!!
99% absolutely agree - LM should be earned rather than assumed, although I'll give the BRM a let - if they hadn't been around that year the entry list would have been even closer to barely being out of the teens - and give them credit, they managed 20 laps!

To be honest, I don't mind tragic early retirements at Le Mans, so long as the team brings something to the whole event, but in the current circumstances the bar for bringing "something" has been somewhat raised...
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2083120)   #7
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just a disgrace !!!

Back then, when the BRM was there (1992) the entry list was veryvery thin....

and, IIRC, only one of the three drivers qualified, so maybe it avoided him to drive 24/24
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:39 (Ref:2083129)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just a disgrace !!!
That is what I was thinking of.

But yes I can see having the car 'unvailed' and presented to the public at the 2008 LM24 to be raced in 2009. This would generate lots of publicity.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 21:44 (Ref:2083174)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
Back then, when the BRM was there (1992) the entry list was veryvery thin....

and, IIRC, only one of the three drivers qualified, so maybe it avoided him to drive 24/24

I was talking about the BRM , with the roof chopped off , post 1992 . Driven by Jesus Pareja and im sure it retired on the first lap , if not the warm up lap .

I cant find a pic of it anyplace !!!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2083194)   #10
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
I was talking about the BRM , with the roof chopped off , post 1992 . Driven by Jesus Pareja and im sure it retired on the first lap , if not the warm up lap .

I cant find a pic of it anyplace !!!
oh, sorry a pic is @ http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-15-014.jpg
Old 6 Dec 2007, 22:47 (Ref:2083228)   #11
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, I'm fairly certain that the team meant they'd announce the full project and unveil the car at Le Mans, not actually RACE.

Even if the car doesn't work out (they're not really a manufacturer, just a university), the YGK engine might be something to look into?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 05:07 (Ref:2083359)   #12
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Retired after 6 laps.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2083422)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
EI has info on the announcement of a new LMP1 from Japan using a YGK powerplant.

Apparently developed by a Japanese university and a former Nissan employee. The engine is a 4.0L Turbo V8 developed by YGK. Only a mock-up of the car so far, but the engine certainly exists.

Well, the article certainly implies that the car will actually race at Le Mans this year subject to an invite. Unless the project has progressed considerably further than it would appear in this preliminary article, their presence would seem unlikely. I reckon a debut at Shanghai (LMS) next year may be more likely. And, it's a potential regular for the new ACO 'Asian' Series which is on course for 2009.

Great news, I like new projects (when they come to fruition ).
Old 7 Dec 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2083615)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its not really YGK, the project leader is currently on the plane to paris to meet with the ACO.

The engine is called the YR40T and is a 4 liter V8 turbo.

The engine is a runner and has been tested in a chassis based on an old Jag XJR15 which in itself is bloody interesting

here are some pics

Old 7 Dec 2007, 14:25 (Ref:2083644)   #15
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins

The engine is a runner and has been tested in a chassis based on an old Jag XJR15 which in itself is bloody interesting

here are some pics

IIRC YGK planned also a GT car, destined also for racing (a wind tunnel model pic was on their site), could it be the car used as test bed?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 14:58 (Ref:2083671)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No this a modified XJR15 they happened to have.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 15:00 (Ref:2083673)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
by the way I think the LMP has a Courage LC70 tub - if I understood what I was told correctly
Old 7 Dec 2007, 18:44 (Ref:2083837)   #18
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The University of Tokai is quiet interesting its a technical college that builds some crazy show cars for the Tokyo Auto Salon and gets special awards for them. This place in very specia,l this car should be quiet interesting if we ever see it run.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 13:20 (Ref:2084308)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
IIRC YGK planned also a GT car, destined also for racing (a wind tunnel model pic was on their site), could it be the car used as test bed?
That looks so much like the Saleens.

Doesn't there need to be a minium of 25 road going cars produced and sold for a small manurfacutre, before the race car of the same basic design can be homologated?
Old 8 Dec 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2084325)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
As I said above its a test hack based on an old Jag - never intended to race rather get some track time on the engine.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 13:56 (Ref:2088770)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems the project has now been unveiled to the ACO. Three year programme, Oreca-Courage tub and their own bodywork. Application for Le Mans 2008 has been submitted.

Full details in this www.Endurance-Info.com article.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2123162)   #22
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Update on the project: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4861&

Last edited by gwyllion; 7 Feb 2008 at 10:58.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2182721)   #23
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Car is still not ready. Have a look at

www.u-tokai.ac.jp/lemans/theteam03.html
Old 21 Apr 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2182746)   #24
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the sort of thing Universities in the UK should do to show case the talent of the country, and not only that entice new people into the area of work. Gets students involved which will also appeal to car manufactures etc etc when they have left University as they have experience at the race etc etc.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2182764)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

I can see this pulling its LM entry ..... and then we get 2 Lambo's ..... woohoo !!!