Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 May 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1616177)   #1
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 talk

hello i was just wondering if anyone know if a driver have race say a year of F3 say in the german series or spain or australia or so on can he then the following year wants to drive in Brit F3 scholarship if there are any restrictions (in age or experience)?

also i see driver ben clacus doing very well in australia how do those who know of him rate his driving from when he was a participator in the very nice UK series?

thank-you

also does anyone know if their will be any lola chassis in euro F3 for 2007 as i see JB motorsports and HS techni are very strong with the lola this year? is there any lola in UK series?
Old 22 May 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1616216)   #2
schitarella
Rookie

sorry one more thing.... does anyone happen know or have any idea in the lap difference between a-

- F3 car V.S the new or even old Atlantic race cars
- F3 car V.S palmer audi
- F3 car V.S old V6 renault that races in Asia now
- F3 V.S anything else u may know of

just wondering for the info, sorry
Old 22 May 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1616385)   #3
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitarella
hello i was just wondering if anyone know if a driver have race say a year of F3 say in the german series or spain or australia or so on can he then the following year wants to drive in Brit F3 scholarship if there are any restrictions (in age or experience)?
Yes: they need a budget.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1617270)   #4
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why whould this suppoused driver switch from a newer car series, like German or Spanish, to race in Brit Scholarship (against less than a handful drivers)? Wouldn't it be a step back?

But anyway, I imagine there would be no restrictions in the rules. I just wouldn't make many sense.

Last edited by hotwheels; 23 May 2006 at 17:24.
Old 24 May 2006, 01:27 (Ref:1617550)   #5
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brit scholarship would get more attention than the other two.

I'm not sure what the order of speed would be. I think it would go something like this
FPA
RenV6
Atlantic
F3
FFord
FBMW

Comments anyone?
Old 24 May 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1617605)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RenV6
Atlantic
F3
FPA
FBMW
FFord

???
Old 24 May 2006, 06:42 (Ref:1617613)   #7
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Brit scholarship would get more attention than the other two.
The only attention drivers get there is from Championship class teams looking for the next well funded guy to fill up their line up next year.

In contrast, Spanish F3 drivers race in front of GP2 teams that have the ability to provide a free or at least very cheap ride. They also have races with WTCC and of course the champion gets that Toyota F1 test. If anything they have a plenty of opportunities to impress.

Now, since the talk is generally F3, how about this for news?
http://www.italiaracing.net/news.asp?id=5098&cat=FORMULA_3_INTERNAZIONALE&nome=F.3|INTERNAZ.&cart=news_formula|3|internazionale
Old 24 May 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1617700)   #8
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Nice piece of PR work by the Lola marketing team again.
Old 24 May 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1617925)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure what the order of speed would be. I think it would go something like this
FPA
RenV6
Atlantic
F3
FFord
FBMW

Comments anyone?
Not at all, more like:
RenV6
Atlantic
F3
FPA
FBMW
FFord
Old 24 May 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1618021)   #10
schitarella
Rookie

yea but we're talking about the old V6 eurocup car not the world series car remember
Old 24 May 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1618027)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitarella
yea but we're talking about the old V6 eurocup car not the world series car remember
i know we are
Old 24 May 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1618061)   #12
schitarella
Rookie

okay cool,,,
Old 24 May 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1618080)   #13
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aye, the 'old' v6 cars were pretty nippy it has to be said - not so great round corners vs an F3 car though.
Old 25 May 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1618417)   #14
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nice piece of PR work by the Lola marketing team again.
The thing is, is it a bad idea overall? I have been hearing that people would like to see F3 switching to S2000 engines anyway and to be fair that would make sense in many ways (better value for manufacturers, more support for teams and drivers etc). WTCC can also provide a fair amount of people on the stands and of course much better TV coverage than any other F3 championship. Single make of chassis apart (which reading the article is not a given) it sounds like a very good plan.

The only one opposing to this would probably be Mercedes, if anything such a series would definitely kill the Euroseries. The cynic in me would think that this whole concept was conceived solely to **** off Herr Haug
Old 25 May 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1618476)   #15
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
I don't know about killing it off. Replacing would be more correct.

The WTCC engine regs aren't a bad idea. My only reservation is that F3 engine regs have largely remained untouched for a decade since they went from 24mm to 26mm restrictors. Theirs not many touring car rule books that could say that. So my argument is, what happens when touring cars rebirth themselves as something else as they seem to do every 5 or 6 years.
Old 25 May 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1618640)   #16
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
We would be having engines with no/limited/ocassional manufacturer support, which is exactly as it is right now.
Old 25 May 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1618775)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
The thing is, is it a bad idea overall? I have been hearing that people would like to see F3 switching to S2000 engines anyway and to be fair that would make sense in many ways (better value for manufacturers, more support for teams and drivers etc). WTCC can also provide a fair amount of people on the stands and of course much better TV coverage than any other F3 championship. Single make of chassis apart (which reading the article is not a given) it sounds like a very good plan.

The only one opposing to this would probably be Mercedes, if anything such a series would definitely kill the Euroseries. The cynic in me would think that this whole concept was conceived solely to **** off Herr Haug
One problem is that it would increase engine costs. They would rev higher and need to be rebuilt more often.

There is no doubt that F3 needs more power, though. An increase in the restrictor size to 28mm would be good, but some engines (notably Mercedes) are thought not to be able to take such an increase, so...

It's odd that the idea of a single chassis series from Italy should be looking at Lola as the supplier. You'd think Dallara would be in pole position. Personally, I prefer freedom of choice.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1618962)   #18
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
There is no doubt that F3 needs more power, though.
Why?
Old 25 May 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1618979)   #19
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Why?
Maybe because the current chassis are too good and under-powered these days.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1618996)   #20
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
One problem is that it would increase engine costs. They would rev higher and need to be rebuilt more often.
But that's simplistic, isn't it? If anything the organisers of the WTCC have been very cost consious to date and they could find a solution to keep things reasonable.

Anyway their strong is not cost reduction, rather it's the TV coverage they could offer
Old 25 May 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1619098)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Maybe because the current chassis are too good and under-powered these days.
Exactly, there's too much grip for the current levels of power.

You may also think that there is too much of a gap between F3 and the formulae above, e.g. WSR and and GP2, and too small a gap between F3 and, say, FRenault.
Old 26 May 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1619545)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
But that's simplistic, isn't it? If anything the organisers of the WTCC have been very cost consious to date and they could find a solution to keep things reasonable.

Anyway their strong is not cost reduction, rather it's the TV coverage they could offer
You'll have to excuse me there, I'm a simple sort of person. But I do know what the present costs of leasing an F3 engine are and what a rebuild costs. Any increase over those figures would be frightening.

And, being simplistic again, I don't think that better TV coverage would cure that problem. The FIA is looking to reduce costs in every category, not just F1.