Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2023, 08:17 (Ref:4166787)   #276
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
New teams even if they are a backmarker to begin with aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Alonso, Webber, Fisichella, Ricciardo, Bianchi etc all shone in terrible backmarker cars at the start of their careers.
Back marker teams can become front runners over time, and super teams can fall back (lotus Mclaren, williams)
Old 5 Jul 2023, 09:08 (Ref:4166793)   #277
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Im all for more teams, have 13 teams but only 22 or 24 grid spots
Bring back prequalifying, Only the fastest 2 dozen on Friday get to race.
Make Friday matter.

I think that considering the huge cost/investment required to set up a new team, there would be few willing to potentially "throw" that money away if they couldn't get on to the grid. Remember in the dim and distant past that this very thing saw new entrants disappear from the scene fairly promptly because after all the expense of just getting the car/s to the race meeting, they then failed to make it to the race. And in those days the overheads were nowhere near as astronomical as they are today.
Old 5 Jul 2023, 12:20 (Ref:4166814)   #278
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, zero chance teams would have the cash to even attempt a pre-qualifying any longer. It's hard enough to get teams money at the rear of the field who race, you want money and a chance of not racing? And say we have rain or something else that screws up the session at you end up with a Red Bull or MB in that group out, the crying over that would be insane
Old 5 Jul 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4166816)   #279
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agree. Imagine trying to get sponsorship and having to explain that their logo may not even be seen during the race.

Richard
Old 5 Jul 2023, 13:34 (Ref:4166817)   #280
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As has been witnessed recently, certainly in the Andretti case, you need a big name - preferably someone or an entity with a large automotive presence - to be a party to a new entry to F1, and there is no way they would pony up something like a half a million dollars to get a car to a circuit with the possibility of not making it to the race day.

If a team like Mercedes, with both their dominance in the past and all the resources that they have to hand, can make a miscalculation as they did for last years car, then it is more than possible that the same will happen to a fledgling team. And then you've blown all the money and have absolutely nothing to show for it as it's highly unlikely that they will have created a car that is a flyer straight out of the box. And I don't think that the investors' board of directors would be particularly happy to see their money go down the drain.
Old 5 Jul 2023, 13:57 (Ref:4166823)   #281
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree totally with the last few posts.
It would be good to see another one or two teams on the scene but they have to be quality entrants and not no-hopers.
Andretti seem as if they may fit the bill and a manufacturer like Audi would have the clout to finance a team. What's happened to Audi's possibility of joining the circus? Or are they going to be purely engine suppliers?
Old 5 Jul 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4166871)   #282
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I agree totally with the last few posts.
It would be good to see another one or two teams on the scene but they have to be quality entrants and not no-hopers.
Andretti seem as if they may fit the bill and a manufacturer like Audi would have the clout to finance a team. What's happened to Audi's possibility of joining the circus? Or are they going to be purely engine suppliers?
Audi have in place an agreement to purchase and takeover of Sauber which is progressing as planned for Audi to be entering the team formerly know as Sauber as Audi for 2026 when the new engine regs go live. It is that of an increasing shareholding of the team for the next couple of years. I believe it is currently at 25% set to increase later this year.
As of the current time there is so word of any confirmed engine customers they might have beyond their own needs. A few rumours but it seems none beyond rumour or 'possible maybes'
Old 6 Jul 2023, 08:39 (Ref:4166933)   #283
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I see that MBS has been interviewed and he made the comment that it is hard to ignore the involvement of GM in the Andretti bid.He also mentioned that the current rules allow for up to twelve teams.It is,of course,the FIA's championship and their rules.Which will leave Liberty Media to tell the current participants that their current cashflow projections may need to be adjusted if,or when,additional teams are admitted.It might need a little time to plan for a future that involves huge amounts of income instead of unbelievable amounts of income.It also places the FIA in the clear with respect to anti trust or restraint of trade actions.
Old 6 Jul 2023, 22:31 (Ref:4167007)   #284
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Fred's take on new teams.

Assuming that one or more new teams end up joining, might make for some more interesting dynamics in the paddock.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 08:14 (Ref:4167030)   #285
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Assuming that one or more new teams end up joining, might make for some more interesting dynamics in the paddock.
I hope one or two more teams join. Would really stick it to the snobbery of a lot of F1 teams in the paddock. Especially if Andretti is one of them. I mean, he's proved how good a team boss he is, there's no reason he can't succeed in F1, despite what some F1 bosses say
Old 7 Jul 2023, 09:37 (Ref:4167042)   #286
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I mean, he's proved how good a team boss he is
Yeah, no IndyCar titles in the last ten years speaks volumes doesn't it.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 09:58 (Ref:4167045)   #287
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
That's probably a bit harsh given that unless you are Horner or Wolff, then no team boss in F1 has won a title for much longer.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4167068)   #288
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Andretti Autosport won the 500 in 2014, 2016 and 2017, all within the last 10 years, so that's not too shabby as they say, speaks volumes doesn't it?
Old 7 Jul 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4167072)   #289
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

I have to say that I feel Vasseur generally has a very snobbish view or superior view that rubs me the wrong way. I wonder if the fact that the deal between Sauber and Andretti fell apart over control of the team is a factor in Vasseur's constant negativity toward Andretti.

While who knows what all was said in the interview, the article has a number of wishy-washy quotes around a new team needing to bring "something" (not spelled out what), but at the end, it becomes clear it really is about money and probably (not said in the article) that the anti-dilution fee is now too small.

I think there is irony in that some of the same players (Vasseur included) were saying to not bend the rules to allow Colton Herta join F1, but NOW another set of rules which define a $200M anti-dilution fee (that teams think is too low) are wrong and shouldn't be followed. But they are smart enough to not just directly say that. They just hint heavily with double talk about needing to "bring something" (buckets of cash)

Richard
Old 7 Jul 2023, 15:04 (Ref:4167079)   #290
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Andretti Autosport won the 500 in 2014, 2016 and 2017, all within the last 10 years, so that's not too shabby as they say, speaks volumes doesn't it?
Yeah, I know. In a series of limited 'big' teams they are generally last of them.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 15:15 (Ref:4167081)   #291
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In F1 that is the best all but two of the teams can hope for!

Realistically we couldn’t hope for any better pedigree for a potential new team. It’s a let’s keep our club exclusive approach. Which is normal for F1.
Old 7 Jul 2023, 15:40 (Ref:4167084)   #292
Richard C
Veteran

Shifting gears a bit...

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2023...pratts-bottom/

Joe Saward speaking to paddock rumors regarding seats at RBR and AT for not just next year, but potentially this year (or at least others who are riding Saward's coat tails are playing some of this as "2023 changes"). Given the changes at AT and while this years AT seems to be a dog, the poor performance of de Vries I don't see him in F1 next season. But the interesting rumor is the replacement of Perez with Ricciardo as some type of placeholder until they get a better partner for Max.

I can imagine RBR is VERY frustrated with Perez, but at the same time he sits 2nd in the championship and I don't see them replacing him with someone else for a short period. Especially if while up/down Perez is generally doing "well enough". Someone else, unless they are an established superstar, would be a risk. I view Ricciardo as risky. I think it makes more sense to poach someone who is doing well in another team (I would say Lando, but he has long term McLaren contract). Maybe all of these rumors have been created by RBR to set a fire under Perez to get his act together.

Richard
Old 7 Jul 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4167085)   #293
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah, I know. In a series of limited 'big' teams they are generally last of them.

That isn't a given and there isn't a team championship that can verify that, though there maybe some stats out there that can.
Old 8 Jul 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4167145)   #294
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Shifting gears a bit...

Joe Saward speaking to paddock rumors regarding seats at RBR and AT for not just next year, but potentially this year (or at least others who are riding Saward's coat tails are playing some of this as "2023 changes"). Given the changes at AT and while this years AT seems to be a dog, the poor performance of de Vries I don't see him in F1 next season. But the interesting rumor is the replacement of Perez with Ricciardo as some type of placeholder until they get a better partner for Max.

I can imagine RBR is VERY frustrated with Perez, but at the same time he sits 2nd in the championship and I don't see them replacing him with someone else for a short period. Especially if while up/down Perez is generally doing "well enough". Someone else, unless they are an established superstar, would be a risk. I view Ricciardo as risky. I think it makes more sense to poach someone who is doing well in another team (I would say Lando, but he has long term McLaren contract). Maybe all of these rumors have been created by RBR to set a fire under Perez to get his act together.

Richard
Does anyone think Ricciardo would do anymore than Checo is?

Max has moved on a gear since Dan was his teammate..
Old 8 Jul 2023, 08:18 (Ref:4167150)   #295
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Shifting gears a bit...

Richard
Not sure what this has to do with potential new entrants, but I'm not sure I know anyone who would surprised if de Vries was dropped anytime, potentially soon.

Rumours were Lawson, but now talk of Palou.
Old 8 Jul 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4167157)   #296
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Shifting gears a bit..

I can imagine RBR is VERY frustrated with Perez, but at the same time he sits 2nd in the championship

Richard
I think that they think that any half decent driver would be 2nd in that car with the current competition, but if another team pulls a rabbit and finds RBRs secret sauce, or something happen to Max (run of unreliability, punctures, or leaves the team or sport) would Checo be able to fend them off?

Would a reinvigorated Danny R or stealing another top name be a better bet?

I cant comment on the rumours of Mazepin, Latifi and Pastor Maldonado have been in intense discussions with Christian
Old 8 Jul 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4167167)   #297
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Not sure what this has to do with potential new entrants, but I'm not sure I know anyone who would surprised if de Vries was dropped anytime, potentially soon.

Rumours were Lawson, but now talk of Palou.
I mistakenly posted this in this thread and had meant for it to be in the 2023 season thread.

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2023, 07:42 (Ref:4167301)   #298
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems the current teams are trying to find any excuse not to let new teams in:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wo...sues/10492792/

I mean come on, we've had 22 cars on the grid as recently as 2016. Didn't seem to make it any more dangerous
Old 9 Jul 2023, 23:35 (Ref:4167658)   #299
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Share it fairly but dont take a share of my pie
Old 10 Jul 2023, 06:45 (Ref:4167684)   #300
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is one of the new cars from a new team going to look like underneath?
Like the Red Bull with every millimetre cultivated and manicured for optimum performance.. or like a Williams.. a workman like response to a non existent design budget or technologies?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods