Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:40 (Ref:333928)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesss... Honda on the podium

Honda has scored it first podium in the BTCC with its CTR. In prodution it has already left its mark but at last.
No, I dont usually post here but this was too good to hold back. After all F1 is not being so grand to them at this time.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 00:26 (Ref:333934)   #2
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda on the podium is GOOD!!!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 10:22 (Ref:334137)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Priaulx has had a very consistant season, helped by Honda reliability which ahs been impressive for a new car, and in fact he's now 5th in the championship.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 19:40 (Ref:334457)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice to see a Honda on the podium and Priaulx was certainly making sure he soaked the team with the champagne!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 20:07 (Ref:334475)   #5
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well done Honda!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 20:11 (Ref:334476)   #6
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent result!!

Thought the Honda was gonna get called in with that loose bumper, but it didnt. Priaulx was superb

I think the Vauxhall domination has definitely been broken now despite Astras winning both races. The only way they can keep ahead is to have reduced reliability. By far the best race since the end of super tourers.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 20:28 (Ref:334487)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If MG get the ZS's power up and Honda just edge a bit further towards the front then we have a great championship.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 20:53 (Ref:334500)   #8
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was so good to see. Priaulx drove superbly. It was a really popularity and it was great to see all the congrtulations his wife Jo was receiving in the pit garage stright afterwards. Full marks to everyone in the Honda team.

And, touringlegend, think of this. Priaulx will have ballast at Snetterton so maybe the result might be a bit more difficult to come by there. Meaning it'll be removed again for Knockhill. Where a nimble chassis is so important. And that Honda's already nimble. And rides the kerbs so well.

So then. Knockhill to be Honda's first win? Any takers?
Old 15 Jul 2002, 21:40 (Ref:334534)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still, Priaulx got 4th in the Sprint, and 2nd in the feature. In comparison to Leslie, he got 2nd in the Sprin, 8th in the feature, it's a trend that Proton's following this year, brill sprint, worse feature. Weight must be worse on the Impians.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 16:26 (Ref:335097)   #10
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie has described his car as a 'little heavy'. Apparently, his was built before Phil's, and the first car tends to be heavier than the second. I believe they won't be able to change it until next year (similar to the 406 Coupe of 2001).
Old 16 Jul 2002, 16:55 (Ref:335107)   #11
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Still, Priaulx got 4th in the Sprint, and 2nd in the feature. In comparison to Leslie, he got 2nd in the Sprin, 8th in the feature, it's a trend that Proton's following this year, brill sprint, worse feature. Weight must be worse on the Impians.
Weight is a big factor on the Impian as I believe it runs significantly over the weight limit any way. Like the Peugeot last year.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 19:26 (Ref:335245)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I can hope! Wanna hear something sick? In the US we usually dont get any footage of the BTCC till the racing season is long finished. In my opinion touring cars offer the best racing in the world, even now with the Vauxhall domination. I should not complain too loudly though because of we lose speed the only racing we will see is NASCRAP.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 16:33 (Ref:337549)   #13
simon m
Rookie

simon m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it you don't like NASCAR then?

Still I think I would get bored watching a 500 mile race. The first 100 laps are OK, (after seeing it before on Eurosport UK) but then the rest of it's boring.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:05 (Ref:337678)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sears Point and Watkins Glen road races for Nascar are probably the most watchable. Yes, Nascar actually has two road races. Though they say they have no intention to add any more road course, only more ovals! Typically, when I watch Nascar, I don't watch it for the racing, I just watch the cars and those fancy logos on them.

That's the cool thing--they are willing to do paint/sponsor schemes for just one race!! So a single car, may have several liveries over the racing season.

But enough Nascar loving advertisement... I don't think touring cars have ever run a special one time only sponsor livery?

I think Mercedes ran an extra flag livery during the ITC round for the different guest drivers? I think Opel ran one for Keke's birthday and to thank him??

Last edited by kmchow; 19 Jul 2002 at 20:07.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:33 (Ref:337695)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed seeing the BTCC so much I ordered their calendar! Speedvision (now the Speed Channel) does show the races in the off season but that made for pleasant winter watching! One thing you can say about this over F1 for sure is there is plenty of dicing and basic, down-to-earth RACING. Terrific series! I am a long-retired club racer who wishes there had been such a Pro series here in the US when he was younger. I like Muller, Plato and Soper particularly.

I have posted this comment before but NASCAR is "WWF on Wheels." Not only do they change liveries often, the rules can change between races (spoiler size, weight, you name it) plus there always seems to be a late full course caution (for "debris") to bunch up the field. Let 'em race and let the best car/team/driver win!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:45 (Ref:337703)   #16
Daz
Racer

Daz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great result for Honda and I'll be hoping for the first Honda win on my first visit to Knockhill in 3 weeks time
Old 23 Jul 2002, 14:30 (Ref:340727)   #17
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good to see the Hondas run well at croft, there has obviously been a lot of hard work been put into those cars and its good to see progress being made. When you think about it, all the teams have made progress this year, and that is good to see!! It's unfortunate that in something like F1 that teams can fail to make any progress at all all year. Once again, well done Honda!!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 17:35 (Ref:340885)   #18
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kmchow,

Vauxhall did a one-off livery for their Astra in the final meeting of 2001. In the past, winning constructors have altered of their decals to read 'Champions'. Not much by NASCAR standards, I know!

Oh, and remember the Tartan-Vectra of 1999?!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 18:04 (Ref:340937)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The thing with NASCAR is that they actually run different cars for short oval, road tracks and superspeedways so what you are seeing is not the same car with different logos but different cars. It's fairly common practice there for sponsorship deals to be done on a race by race basis.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 05:56 (Ref:341347)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess sponsors and raceteams don't like such uncertainty, appearing on a race by race basis? I wonder if companies/sponsors have tried such concepts?
Old 24 Jul 2002, 08:29 (Ref:341392)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Short term sponsorship does just happen in NASCAR, it's just more obvious there as they tend to re-brand the entire car. Look close enough at any top level racing series (F1, WRC, BTCC, ALMS, FIAGT, ETCC, etc) and you will notice subtle livery changes at different races. For example at Mondello the Synchro Hondas had signage from a local hotel. The trick is to get enough long-term sponsorship to last the season and then any extra deals are a bonus.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 08:30 (Ref:342238)   #22
simon m
Rookie

simon m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, if you looked at Hyla Breese's Lotus at the beginning of last year and the end you would notice he gained a few extra sponsors during the year as well.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 08:43 (Ref:342255)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
A good example in this years BTCC is the Peugeot 406 Coupe, it seems to have picked up more and more logos at each meeting.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 11:49 (Ref:342348)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

Although in Peugeot's case that's partly due to the extra driver bring in some new sponsors.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 18:12 (Ref:359286)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
And, touringlegend, think of this. Priaulx will have ballast at Snetterton so maybe the result might be a bit more difficult to come by there. Meaning it'll be removed again for Knockhill. Where a nimble chassis is so important. And that Honda's already nimble. And rides the kerbs so well.

Glad I didn't take that bet. Good call Jonny.