Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1475730)   #26
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look on the bright side, at least you would be on the scene with your camera.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1475737)   #27
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the scene with a broken camera and very probably also broken legs..
Old 2 Dec 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1475759)   #28
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
The idea would never take off, but then neither would the plane
It wouldn't if you took that massive lens of yours...
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1475833)   #29
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had this problem a few years ago when going over to the states - I filled my carry on bag up to the weight limit - then went and sat down somewhere and then unloaded a series of lenses and flash units from the big winter coat pockets and put them back in the bag. has anyone ever been questioned about the coat they are carrying?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1475840)   #30
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amsterdam does a second check at most of Schiphol's gates now as well.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1475959)   #31
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
It wouldn't if you took that massive lens of yours...
too right, lens alone is over hand baggage weight
Old 3 Dec 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1476207)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
The carry-on case looks a pretty good option:
http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/CaseProducts/1510.htm
A few points from a seasoned traveller.

First that carry on case is fine as long as you don't put anything in it! Unless you pay for business or higher the weight limit for a carry on is around 7kg so as it sits you've got room for a lens in that particular case.

Second not all airlines have the same dimensional rules for carry on luggage. Note the ad says "maximum size permitted".

Third if you pack them properly cameras and lens' can travel in the hold. And if they do get damaged/lost you've got insurance, its what its for after all.

Fourth as a regular flyer I get really cheesed off with folks who carry half the world onto a plane. It makes life difficult for those who comply with the rules. So be considerate.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1476315)   #33
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, there is nothing worse than someone taking there wheelie baggage onto the flight with them, putting it in the overhead locker and you turn up to find space for your bag and its taken up by one of those.

I do nothing special with my 300mm lense. I leave it in the casing it comes with (bullet proof) and then wrap my trousers around it to stop it moving around the bag. Never had any problems before.

Alex
Old 3 Dec 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1476316)   #34
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, hide your lens in your trousers? That could get some interesting looks...
Old 3 Dec 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1476330)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just get a good solid suitcase like a Samsonite oyster for the hold. Then pack it properly and wrap your clothes around the camera, lens' etc. It works for me. I've even transported bottles of expensive wine like that and never had a problem.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1476331)   #36
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
So, hide your lens in your trousers? That could get some interesting looks...
Granted it looks sus. but I haven't been stopped before.

Alex
Old 4 Dec 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1476613)   #37
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt be worried about gear getting damaged in transit in the hold if its packed well, what I would be worried about is getting to my job and not having my gear to do it.

Sure, i have insurance and it will get re-imbursed, however, I want to be able to do my job once there and if I end up on the other end without my gear, I cant do it and I've just lost work in addition to my gear.

That is something I dont want to have to face, therefore I carry on all my gear all the time, except for monopods and other minor stuff.

And if I'm following the rules and have all my stuff in a roller that they allowed on the plane, its not my concern if you dont have room for your stuff...get there earlier.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1476686)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Good attitude.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1476760)   #39
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 4 Dec 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1476915)   #40
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpilot
I wouldnt be worried about gear getting damaged in transit in the hold if its packed well, what I would be worried about is getting to my job and not having my gear to do it.
You obviosly haven't got enough equipment..

I travel with a computer bag and a camera pack as carry on, a peli for the hold and something else for clothes etc.. (just call me pack horse). To be honest, there's not a lot you can do if it does go missing except start to call in favours from collegues.. But I've not had one go missing yet..
Old 5 Dec 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1477056)   #41
vwpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Hmm,

Good attitude.
Thanks, works for me. I follow the rules and do my job.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1477060)   #42
vwpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
You obviosly haven't got enough equipment..

I travel with a computer bag and a camera pack as carry on, a peli for the hold and something else for clothes etc.. (just call me pack horse). To be honest, there's not a lot you can do if it does go missing except start to call in favours from collegues.. But I've not had one go missing yet..
I carry enough with me to do my job. But why risk losing anything if I dont have to? I know too many folks that have spent an entire weekend at the track without their clothes due to them being "misplaced" by an airline. I can handle wearing the same underwear all weekend (though my colleagues may not), however, I cant do my job without my cameras all weekend.

I travel with a Think Tank Airport Addicted backpack, it falls within the carry on regs of most airlines for normal sized jets (737/A320 and up) and a laptop bag.

In my AA I carry:

2 Canon 1DMkII bodies
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8 IS
500 f/4 IS
1.4 and 2.0x extenders
2 extra camera batteries
2 550 EX flashes
Camera battery charger
AA batteries and charger
Aquatech rain covers
sensor cleaning stuff, lens hoods, CF card wallets, and other various items.

Its about doing the job and I work to get everything (or as much of) I need to do a job with me on the plane...within the rules.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1477139)   #43
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpilot
I travel with a Think Tank Airport Addicted backpack, it falls within the carry on regs of most airlines for normal sized jets (737/A320 and up) and a laptop bag.

Its about doing the job and I work to get everything (or as much of) I need to do a job with me on the plane...within the rules.
As I said, not enough equipment..

All joking apart.. You do have very good carry on rules over there though vwpilot.. There's no way I could gett away with anything large enough to get the 500 in within Europe.. The small regional jets would let you in with only a small laptop bag.. If I could, then I'd be like you and carry on.. (although wearing the underpants for 4 days might push it a little..)..
Old 5 Dec 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1477144)   #44
vwpilot
Racer

Likewise our regionals wont let that much as carryon either, however, most of the time with those you can board on the tarmac and actually load gear below deck yourself, so you can find a nice cozy place and you know its actually on the plane with you.

I'm ok with that and then I would use a pelican for protection, but know its there.

Otherwise stays with me. And yes, most of the time I am lucky enough to do that here.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1477300)   #45
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Personally I wouldn't be at all happy to let my camera bag go on the holding decks.

Last time I managed to take it on as handluggage, but I also had much less equipment then. Still fits into the same bag though, just obviously going to be a fair bit heavier.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1501101)   #46
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Sorry to bring up a oldish thread, but thought it was better than starting a new one.

I'm probably going to Jerez for 7-10th of Febuary test. I'll be flying with Ryanair whose hand luggage weight limit seems to be 10KG, luckily all my major camera equipment which consists of:

Canon EOS 10D (Body)
Canon EOS 20D (Body)
Canon 420EX (Speedlite)
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f4 / 5.6 (Lens)
Sigma 28-300mm f3.5 / 6.3 (Lens)
Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 (Lens)
Sigma APO 50-500mm f4 / 6.3 (Lens)
Sigma APO 2x EX (Teleconvertor)

fits in my lowerpro bag, and joys of joys it even appears to weigh in just under 10Kgs, which is great!

But what about my laptop?... it probably won't fit in their and I will really need to take it with me on this trip, so what would you lot do? try and stuff it into an already packed lowerpro bag, or wrap it up in your clothes and put it in your suitcase for the decks?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1501135)   #47
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been able to carry more than one piece of hand luggage on Ryanair, but that has generally been on fairly quiet flights. The Stansted check in does tend to be a bit stricter than some other Ryanair routes, they would be within their rights to refuse you permission to take it on board. However, I would be a bit reluctant to pack it in your hold baggage, the short turn around times mean Ryanair bags come off even faster (and rougher) than most airlines. I would try and get it on board, but if they refuse you at the desk, put it in your suitcase but make sure its very well padded. I find Ryanair policy tends to vary a lot on who is ont he desk and how busy the flight is. If the flight isnt that busy, they prefer hand luggage as they can meet the turnaround times easier.

Basically, arrive early, try and get the laptop cleared with the check in staff; if not, put it in the suitcase but well padded. Security clearance at Stansted is a nightmare, so make sure you allow plenty of time to clear the queues. Unfortunately, its hard to give you better advice, Ryanair policies do seem to be a bit hit and miss. Easyjet tend to be best for allowing plenty of hand baggage.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1501721)   #48
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does it comply with their maximum dimensions as well?

As most of the guys have said on this thread, if you're going to travel with gear you need a decent case (peli or perhaps make do with a quality hard shell case), pack it well and check it into the hold.

If you're not able to do that I guess if might be easier to live without the laptop rather than the camera gear until the insurers pay up?

The risk of cramming it all into an already overpacked bag is that you'll get bounced at the check in gate and will then have lost the ability to carefully pack your gear into your good quality case.