Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2023, 11:27 (Ref:4141162)   #476
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
What links the following drivers:

Alternatively, the list could be:

Tazio Nuvolari
Maurice Trintignant
AJ Foyt
Bruce McLaren
Jochen Rindt
Juan Pablo Montoya
Fernando Alonso
The second part of the list (those quoted above) have all ticked two of the Triple Crown boxes (ie won 2 of the Indy 500, Monaco GP or LM24)
Old 25 Jan 2023, 11:34 (Ref:4141163)   #477
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What links the following drivers:

Mike Hawthorn
Phil Hill
AJ Foyt
Jim Clark
Jochen Rindt
Mario Andretti
Emerson Fittipaldi
Jacques Villeneuve
Fernando Alonso

Alternatively, the list could be:

Tazio Nuvolari
Maurice Trintignant
AJ Foyt
Bruce McLaren
Jochen Rindt
Juan Pablo Montoya
Fernando Alonso
This looks an intriguing one and I have no idea what the answer will be, but I'm looking forward to seeing the suggestions!
Old 25 Jan 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4141166)   #478
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The second part of the list (those quoted above) have all ticked two of the Triple Crown boxes (ie won 2 of the Indy 500, Monaco GP or LM24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This looks an intriguing one and I have no idea what the answer will be, but I'm looking forward to seeing the suggestions!
Graham Hill [1975 ‘Drive In’ TV program]: "It’s the (F1) world championship for drivers, Indianapolis and the Le Mans 24 Hours, [...] Le Mans I thought was a very nice thing to have won after several years of trying, and it did mean that I did win the Triple Crown.”

Jacques Villeneuve: "It’s the world championship that counts. Monaco is just one race that’s part of F1...you can do the Indy 500 and Le Mans on their own, you cannot just do Monaco on its own. I think some people think about it (as part of the triple crown) because in the 1950s it was kind of a stand-alone race, it was very different. But the championship has the value."
Old 25 Jan 2023, 20:15 (Ref:4141218)   #479
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, and the first part is just the alternate definition of the Triple Crown which includes the Formula 1 world championship instead of the Monaco Grand Prix. Either way, Graham Hill is the only driver to win all three.

It is quite annoying that there are two definitions of this. The world championship makes more sense in terms of actually being the thing they all want to win, and also being part of the definition at the time when Graham Hill won the Triple Crown. But the Monaco Grand Prix makes more sense in terms of it being an individual race, and of a similar age to the Indy 500 and Le Mans. I'm not sure which is the better definition of the Triple Crown.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 00:12 (Ref:4141228)   #480
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
If either way our Graham (my childhood hero) is the only one to have won it, then the definition hardly seems to matter.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 00:38 (Ref:4141230)   #481
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, and the first part is just the alternate definition of the Triple Crown which includes the Formula 1 world championship instead of the Monaco Grand Prix. Either way, Graham Hill is the only driver to win all three.

It is quite annoying that there are two definitions of this. The world championship makes more sense in terms of actually being the thing they all want to win, and also being part of the definition at the time when Graham Hill won the Triple Crown. But the Monaco Grand Prix makes more sense in terms of it being an individual race, and of a similar age to the Indy 500 and Le Mans. I'm not sure which is the better definition of the Triple Crown.
The 'Triple Crown' is an anecdotal title, not a formal one so the definition is anecdotal too.
Confusing but really depends on what you regard as the most meaningful or the most 'fair' or reasonable.
Either way it matters not too much.
In real terms it may simply have been a way of measuring effectiveness across a multiplicity of disciplines, US racing, European racing and endurance racing.
In that sense Indy 500, WDC and Le Mans makes a lot of sense.
If you are looking at the three most definitive races you could look at Monaco as the most prestigious, plus Indy 500 and LeMans.

Monaco GP, German GP at the Nurburgring, and Belgian GP at Spa were reckoned to be the three most difficult to master back in the 60's and 70's so winning all three at some point in their F1 careers was regarded as an informal F1 triple measure at that time.

And who won all three in their careers? Not many. Several won two of them (Hulme, Stewart and McLaren come to mind) at various times but who won all three across their careers?

Across the decades Le Mans, Sebring 12 hours and the Daytona 24 hours are three of the most historic Endurance races that still exist, although we had a number of others back in the 50's and 60's. You could make a list and and rate sports car drivers on that too. But if it is sports car racing you would have to include Can Am titles plus endurance titles.

Last edited by Teretonga; 26 Jan 2023 at 00:46.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 06:38 (Ref:4141252)   #482
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:

So does that make it my question? To keep things moving with what I believe to be a fairly easy one.....

A 'who am 1'? With a what where when and why thrown in.

I deliberately rolled my car in a rally, yet still managed to finish 2nd.

Who am I? What event? What year? What car was I driving? Why (did I roll the car deliberately)?

Bonus if you can tell me any events that took place at the podium celebrations post event

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2023 at 06:46. Reason: Added bonus question
Old 26 Jan 2023, 07:21 (Ref:4141253)   #483
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Colin McRae, Ford Focus?
Can't recall event or year
Old 26 Jan 2023, 07:24 (Ref:4141255)   #484
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Colin McRae, Ford Focus?
Can't recall event or year
No and No. If he did, its not. the answer I am looking for. Pre McRae
Old 26 Jan 2023, 07:37 (Ref:4141256)   #485
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
If either way our Graham (my childhood hero) is the only one to have won it, then the definition hardly seems to matter.
I think I have to agree with all of this (he was my childhood hero too)
Old 26 Jan 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4141257)   #486
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
So does that make it my question? To keep things moving with what I believe to be a fairly easy one.....

A 'who am 1'? With a what where when and why thrown in.

Who am I? What event? What year? What car was I driving? Why (did I roll the car deliberately)?

Bonus if you can tell me any events that took place at the podium celebrations post event
Eric Carlson was famous for rolling his Saab back in the day and the only reason I can think of any driver doing it deliberately would be to avoid something. I can't be any more specific than that though...
Old 26 Jan 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4141259)   #487
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Eric Carlson was famous for rolling his Saab back in the day and the only reason I can think of any driver doing it deliberately would be to avoid something. I can't be any more specific than that though...
Yes, Eric Carlsson was the driver. He was indeed famous for rolling his Saab..... more than once. So much so his nickname was Eric "on the roof" Carlsson

The car was a Saab.... I was looking for a type / number as well. Cant give Viv marks for the vague rollover reason. The reason in this case was quite specific. So Event / where, year and why still unanswered. Also the post event shenanigans.

2 ticks for Viv (well, 1.5 as Saab is a bit general). Plus a pat on the. back for being so quick in with the driver name.
More ticks required

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2023 at 08:24.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 08:27 (Ref:4141261)   #488
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Out of interest - who was the Indian driver more recent than Chandhok's 2022 bid please?

For others - the Chandhok entry was reported in Motorsport News 6 Jan 2022:

"I work with Jason Plato and I have had long conversations with Alan Gow too. I looked at some avenue with teams for 2022 [...] I would love to do, maybe in 2023"
The Indian I was thinking of was Phiroze Bilimoria, who was originally going to drive for CVR 2009, but got replaced by Adam Jones pre season
Old 26 Jan 2023, 10:12 (Ref:4141268)   #489
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Yes, Eric Carlsson was the driver. He was indeed famous for rolling his Saab..... more than once. So much so his nickname was Eric "on the roof" Carlsson

The car was a Saab.... I was looking for a type / number as well. Cant give Viv marks for the vague rollover reason. The reason in this case was quite specific. So Event / where, year and why still unanswered. Also the post event shenanigans.

2 ticks for Viv (well, 1.5 as Saab is a bit general). Plus a pat on the. back for being so quick in with the driver name.
More ticks required
Thanks Chris, a rare (sort of) well done for me! I look forward to finding out the rest of the answer.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4141272)   #490
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Erik on-the-roof Carlsson, Saab 96, Safari Rally. He deliberately rolled the car to avoid being stuck in mud, but at the end of the rally nobody believed him so he did it again to show them.
Ford, I think, were so surprised that they tried the same thing with a Cortina (I think) and broke it!

I just can't recall the year. (Edit - found it) 1962.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4141273)   #491
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

So I think you might be referring to the 1959 Rallye ACP Aveiro Estoril?

If so - the result I have seen shows his finishing position as (initially) being 3rd?

If I have the right event -
Erik started leading the European championship. His closest competitor was Paul Coltelloni. He rolled his Saab trying to avoid a railway crossing (Carlsson and co-driver John Sprinzel felt the draught of the train which thundered past as the stricken car lay on its side in a ditch) but still made third place.

Carlsson was given 25 penalty points for having white (instead of black) numbers on the side of the car. Annoying, but not the end of the world - the points dropped him to fourth. Still champion.

It was only at the prize ceremony itself that they discovered that they had been given an additional 25 point penalty, putting them in eighth position. When they asked why, they were told they had been given 25 penalty points per door.

The car - Saab 93 B.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4141278)   #492
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Erik on-the-roof Carlsson, Saab 96, Safari Rally. He deliberately rolled the car to avoid being stuck in mud, but at the end of the rally nobody believed him so he did it again to show them.
Ford, I think, were so surprised that they tried the same thing with a Cortina (I think) and broke it!

I just can't recall the year. (Edit - found it) 1962.
Hands Greem virtual cigar

Pretty much on the nail Graham.... My understanding (from a post event video interview with Erik Carlsson ) is that he got hopelessly bogged, and thinking outside of the square Erik decided to literally flip the car on its roof, and, with the aid of a couple of dozen highly enthusiastic locals, flipped it onto the roof and slid it clear of the mud, put it back on its wheels and Messrs Carlsson and Palm jumped in and continued to finish on the podium 2nd. As Greem said there were those that were sceptical and so Erik repeated the exercise on the grass by the podium..

Ford then at the Safari Gala Ball in Nairobi that night had a PR nightmare. At some stage of the evening the band struck up "Anything you can do I can do better..." as the winning Ford Cortina drove up the small stairs onto the dance floor where it was rolled it over on the dance floor. What could possibly go wrong?

They ended up having to replace and pay for a new dance floor, the original damaged in the prank, and also worsened by oil and battery acid that leaked from the overturned car.

The only correction I will make to the answer given is that it was 1964 not 1962.
https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/1...n-safari-1964/

(With my pedantic hat on I will add that in those days it was the East African Safari Rally to give it its formal title. )

Question successfully answered, well done all..... the next question is in the hands of Greem

EDIT: I mentioned in the post I had got the rollover info from an interview with Carlsson I had seen. Here is that interview. Not a youtube link but an old archive video in B/W. Anyway you will see the video on this page if interested. Amusing also when an interloper stands between camera and interview and get 'pushed vigorously' by the interviewer

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/yo...ddcbc84539fa29

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2023 at 12:07. Reason: Added link to interview with info on the rollover.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 13:35 (Ref:4141281)   #493
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Woohoo!

This one is probably either fiendishly tricky or really really easy.

On the McLaren MP4/4, the paint job on the carbon fibre bodywork was supposed to be a single coat (but it wasn't always!).

How much did the paint coat weigh?

For extra points, what change was made to the car's livery after the first race of the 1988 season - between the races at Interlagos and Imola?
Old 26 Jan 2023, 14:37 (Ref:4141286)   #494
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Woohoo!

This one is probably either fiendishly tricky or really really easy.

On the McLaren MP4/4, the paint job on the carbon fibre bodywork was supposed to be a single coat (but it wasn't always!).

How much did the paint coat weigh?

For extra points, what change was made to the car's livery after the first race of the 1988 season - between the races at Interlagos and Imola?
7 kg. Ron wanted it fresh at each race. Designer want to keep it light, so t was supposed to be stripped and repainted prior to each race. The painter instead of stripping and repainting would sometimes just paint over the prior layer (strip and repaint process took time they sometimes didn't have).

Richard
Old 26 Jan 2023, 14:40 (Ref:4141287)   #495
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I dont know why but 2kg is a number which sticks in my head
Old 26 Jan 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4141290)   #496
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My answer comes from this...

https://youtu.be/xRtjeWsIscc?t=2044

Which I watched a few weeks back and when I saw the question immediately remembered their discussion about the weight of the paint, the desire to keep it light and conflicts with Ron's wishes for it to look perfect.

The entire video is fantastic.

Richard
Old 26 Jan 2023, 15:52 (Ref:4141300)   #497
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
If my paint answer is correct. I defer the next question to whoever Greem says gets the extra points question correct.

Richard
Old 26 Jan 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4141304)   #498
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My answer comes from this...

https://youtu.be/xRtjeWsIscc?t=2044

Which I watched a few weeks back and when I saw the question immediately remembered their discussion about the weight of the paint, the desire to keep it light and conflicts with Ron's wishes for it to look perfect.

The entire video is fantastic.

Richard
Interesting video indeed. Maybe my 2kg thought is just the paint on the monocoque because that very clearly says 7kg for the car.

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jan 2023 at 16:31. Reason: Spellink
Old 26 Jan 2023, 16:56 (Ref:4141311)   #499
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

In Brazil the roll hoops were a plain paint free grey colour.... for Imola they were painted white. Apparently a Ron instruction on the basis of sponsor decals would stand out better against a white background. At Interlagos no decals but by Imola very small Boss stickers were in place on the roll hoop (also driver name).

Mentioned in the video that Richard linked above.
Old 26 Jan 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4141337)   #500
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ooh, you guys are *good*.

Correct, 7-7.5kg per coat, and correct, the roll hoops got painted. The conversation from the video:

"What happened?"
"Ron happened"

E.B., you're up!