Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2987890)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
2012 Factory drivers Silly Season

With various threads talking out about drivers moves and potential drivers amongst the factory squads it may be easier to have a dedicated thread the driver market in those teams so who do you think will be the driver lines for next year for the WEC and 3rd car additions for LM and possibly Spa
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2987893)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
This is only personal opinion, as requested in the OP.

I suspect Audi will keep the 4 guys who did the full ILMC at least for next year, Porsche isn't coming back yet so Bernhard can still drive for Audi for the time being. So I suspect that they may keep the same 9 drivers, maybe shuffled around a bit (possible exceptions due to Rocky's DTM commitments) and then promoting their reserve driver if Dindo calls it quits.

Peugeot have said they're only looking for two drivers, but after this year I suspect they will actually be reshuffling squads. Question mark is probably on Bourdais and Pagenaud's potential IndyCar commitments, but otherwise I can see Davidson + those two in the leading car, Montagny-Sarrazin in a second one, and the third driver there plus the third car - probably determined by how they rate the two newcomers to the team.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2987898)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think a lot of the market hinges on where Lotterer and Treluyer end up and that depends on their existing contracts.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2987902)   #4
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and there are some soon-to-be ex-F1 drivers who might need the work. I'd imagine that Sutil and Liuzzi would be welcome somewhere.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2987924)   #5
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernhard and Dumas will likely only be with Audi through Le Mans.

Treluyer could step up as full-season driver alongside Fassler.

At Peugeot, expect reserve driver JK Vernay to get drive. Team also tested Lucas di Grassi and Bertrand Baguette... We know Wurz is gone, Lamy likely as well. Minassian could also be on the hot seat, but potentially saved by Wurz's leaving.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2987925)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
In the latest Autosport Famin said (and repeated?) that likely only two drivers will be changed.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2987943)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And including Vernay and Kimi they seem to have had 9 drivers testing for those two seats (going by what's been reported). An embarrassment of riches to sample from. I would have thought that JK Vernay and Loic Duval would have the inside line but the latter also has Oreca links to exploit.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2987959)   #8
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
and there are some soon-to-be ex-F1 drivers who might need the work. I'd imagine that Sutil and Liuzzi would be welcome somewhere.
Liuzzi has been in and out of F1 for years so I could see him walking away, but Sutil if he is dropped will probably pull a Christian Klien and try hard to find a seat anywhere he can. I also would have to say F1 drivers with no experience in endurance racing can be liabilities.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2987996)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Di Grassi was asked back for a second test, it's the top sportscar story in Autosport, seems he's favourite along with Verney (drove with Signatech to gain race experience) for the Peugeot seats.

Things will get more interesting once Toyota run a second and third car, really can't see them running one car at Le Mans, even in a test year. I would think Duval is the hottest free agent, if he's not going to Peugeot, he must be a shoe in at another manufactuer.

Last edited by JAG; 17 Nov 2011 at 23:26.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2988000)   #10
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know much about di Grassi other than hearing that he was a F1 reject. Maybe he has some hidden talent? Was it a case of him running out of money in F1? Perhaps Peugeot wants a Brazilian driver for marketing reasons and he is all that is available.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2988001)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I don't know much about di Grassi other than hearing that he was a F1 reject. Maybe he has some hidden talent? Was it a case of him running out of money in F1? Perhaps Peugeot wants a Brazilian driver for marketing reasons and he is all that is available.
He's being compared with Wurz, articulate, intelligent with good technical knowledge, most of the best drivers aim for F1, but with limited seats, many great drivers take a different career path.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2988003)   #12
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
He's being compared with Wurz, articulate, intelligent with good technical knowledge, most of the best drivers aim for F1, but with limited seats, many great drivers take a different career path.
Is he a car crasher?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2988005)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon JCB is outta Rebellion .
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2988006)   #14
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
di Grassi acquitted himself pretty well vs Timo Glock in his rookie year in a dog of a Virgin, but was shuffled out at the end of the season when another rookie, Jerome d'Ambrosio, appeared with a bigger bag of funding and similar talent. Now the pattern has repeated itself as after a solid rookie year d'Ambrosio is out and Charles Pic's even bigger bag of money sees him as an F1 rookie in 2012. Basically, being a Virgin (now Marussia) 'reject' says more about your wallet than your driving.