Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: ...who you want to be the replacement of DC at Mclaren next year?
Juan Pablo Montoya 8 10.13%
Jacques Villeneuve 17 21.52%
Giancarlo Fisichella 22 27.85%
Nick Heidfeld 10 12.66%
Jenson Button 2 2.53%
Gary Paffett 4 5.06%
Other driver (specify) 5 6.33%
No, keep DC in his seat! 11 13.92%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jul 2003, 19:49 (Ref:670548)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If DC leaves McLaren next year...

...who you want to his seat? The debate is open.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:14 (Ref:670560)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted Fisichella, would be nice to see him in a top car, wouldn't mind seeing what Villeneuve could do in a decent car again, that would be interesting!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:50 (Ref:670583)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alright, who voted keep DC? We could do with some 'serious' responses here, you pranksters.

Quite honestly, I believe that Fisi or Villeneuve should get the seat. I'll vote.......JACQUES!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:51 (Ref:670584)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who the hell is Paffet??
Anyway, i voted for Jacques ofcourse.
That would just be a dream come true, but sadly very unrealistic...

Wow, a rather sensible comment whilst being drunk?
Well, there's a first time for everything!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 24 Jul 2003 at 20:53.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:670587)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DC gets a lot of stick, all the more so now that he struggles with that aid to 'interesting' but artificial grids, one lap qualifying. He also has more than his fair share of bad luck, but he is still a proven race winner. Whilst it seems unlikely that he will now ever win the WDC, I think he should stay with Mclaren.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:52 (Ref:670588)   #6
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd want Villeneuve to replace him, but I think that stands a better chance of happening than Bernie Ecclestone getting his face on Mount Rushmore. It'll probably be Fisichella though.

EDIT: But I really doubt DC will leave.

Last edited by Epsilon; 24 Jul 2003 at 20:53.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 21:14 (Ref:670601)   #7
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to vote on this one. I'd like to see JV or JPM in mac, but I'm not so sure it is relly possible.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 22:30 (Ref:670642)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted JPM. I don't think it would happen though because DC won't be leaving.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:00 (Ref:670671)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Heidfeld. Quick, clever, reliable. And he deserves it.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:08 (Ref:670675)   #10
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd vote Fisichella, but if i were Ron Dennis i would get Montoya to prevent him from going to ferrari to replace Schummy, thus leaving a post-schumi ferrari with a young Massa and Mclaren on the other hand having an experienced Raikkonen and Montoya.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:50 (Ref:670691)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by fastracer
I'd vote Fisichella, but if i were Ron Dennis i would get Montoya to prevent him from going to ferrari to replace Schummy, thus leaving a post-schumi ferrari with a young Massa and Mclaren on the other hand having an experienced Raikkonen and Montoya.
If i was Ron, thats what i'd do too, but if i was Sir Frank, i'd be doing my upmost to keep JPM.

I believe that the thread title be changed to.....

If DC is sacked by McLaren next year as theres no way that DC would willingly leave!

As for who i'd like to see there.....

Jacques, because i'd love to see how he and Ron get on given their history.

Juan Pablo, because it would be great to see him and Kimi in the same machinery. (Although i'd rather see Juan Pablo win the WDC in a Williams, my favourite team)

Fisi, because i'd love to see if he really is as good as Inigo says

i'll vote Fisi

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Jul 2003 at 00:53.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:49 (Ref:670711)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well...i think that the macs still rates DC highly evidently by this story taken from f1technical.net

A Dutch Formula One magazine "race report" has made notion of a crisis meeting with McLaren-staff at Silverstone, in which they have decided that if the MP4/18 is to be introduced this year, it will only be available for David Coulthard. He will thereby provide the team with valuable data to prepare for the 2004 season.

Kimi Raikkonen, who is currently second in the championship will have to fight with the current MP4/17D.
Its intrduction is still far from sure though, as the new engine did not last yet for more than 300 kms.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:57 (Ref:670715)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Not too sure if they think more highly of DC's technical ability over Kimi's or not. What that says to me is that DC can give them good feedback, (as proberbly can Kimi) but they don't want to compromise Kimi's title efforts with a possible un-reliable car, where as DC is now the "number 2" driver, and it doesn't matter if his seasons compromised or not.

Just say for instance that they (McLaren) debut it in Monza and it's fast enough and reliable enough to win the race (or at least beat Kimi in the MP4/17D ) i'll guarantee that Kimi has it for the final 2 races of the season.

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Jul 2003 at 01:57.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:01 (Ref:670718)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I hate it when your right!
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:14 (Ref:670725)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Not saying i'm right, just my opinion
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:18 (Ref:670728)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Although i really would like to think that the scenario would be like last year when preference were given to Michael to debut with the F2002.

After giving it some thought, i think the Macs wouldn't want to jeapordize Kimi's WDC chance with an unreliable car. That's why i think your right....
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:22 (Ref:670731)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The difference between Michaels Ferrari and the McLaren was that the F2002 was very reliable straight out of the box. The McLaren hasn't been.......so far! (will it ever?)

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Jul 2003 at 02:22.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:32 (Ref:670741)   #18
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
In that case, skip the 18 bit and move on for a MP4/19....am really tired waitin for the car's debut. I suspect the outside of the MP4/18 would look just like the MP4/17D. The difference would only be the engine.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:35 (Ref:670743)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
In that case, skip the 18 bit and move on for a MP4/19
Got a feeling that that is what will happen in the end Juke. Over the weekend, Adrian Newey (i believe it was) said that the 18 is the basis for the 2004 car. I took that to mean that it won't actually be the car they use in 2004, but the car they design next years round.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:36 (Ref:670744)   #20
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
if the MP4/18 is to be introduced this year
Big emphasis on the "IF" there - I really doubt this car will ever see the light of day, so I don't think giving DC exclusive use will really be an issue...

I know that sounds like a "me too", but if the reliability and failed crash tests are any indication, it'll be race ready sometime around 2007.

Last edited by Epsilon; 25 Jul 2003 at 02:40.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:39 (Ref:670749)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
So i'm not the only one who thinks it will never race then
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:45 (Ref:670752)   #22
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Their car designs have always been a favourite of mine the Macs...if that's what Newey said, then expect only a revamped engine rather than the designs. That is if the story of DC debut ride is true....
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:49 (Ref:670755)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Although of course, if the DC debut ride story is true, then we can expect to see him at McLaren again next season

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Jul 2003 at 02:50.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:51 (Ref:670756)   #24
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by Epsilon
Big emphasis on the "IF" there - I really doubt this car will ever see the light of day, so I don't think giving DC exclusive use will really be an issue...
Everyone expects them to introduce the MP4/18 this year although it really has been introduced...that is the MP4/17D ....so to satisfy everyone they just slap the 18 bit on the ole 17D. We won't know what's inside cause last year's engine was a total disaster compared to a more reliable 17D engine....ooo i don know :confused:
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:58 (Ref:670759)   #25
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Although of course, if the DC debut ride story is true, then we can expect to see him at McLaren again next season
I don understand why u hate DC? He's an experienced driver that proves to be an assett to the Macs in terms of getting the right feedbacks for the development of their cars.

I'm sure Kimi is also good at providing feedbacks but one thing that he dosen't have is experience. It's a good combination what?