Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4156561)   #1
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cancelled due to weather

This weekends GP in Italy has been cancelled due to weather and serious flooding in the area. No date for a rescheduled race as yet.
Old 17 May 2023, 13:05 (Ref:4156564)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Darn. I was looking forward to a two-lap race under the SC........

Commiserations though to all those affected by the adverse weather.
Old 17 May 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4156565)   #3
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is this where we need to go into the minutiae of the definition of cancelled?It might mean not happening this year or it might mean trying to find a date for later in the year.I suspect the teams wouldn't be heartbroken to get a weekend off and have some extra flexibility to run the engines a bit harder over a shorter lifespan.

It needs to be said that if the reports of the flooding are accurate,it was a good decision.
Old 17 May 2023, 13:12 (Ref:4156569)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Oh well. Cannot be helped. BTCC and BSB are both on, so no shortage of other stuff to watch this weekend.
Old 17 May 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4156572)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
It needs to be said that if the reports of the flooding are accurate,it was a good decision.
https://twitter.com/fiagirly/status/...617616393?s=20
Old 17 May 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4156575)   #6
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
This weekends GP in Italy has been cancelled due to weather and serious flooding in the area. No date for a rescheduled race as yet.
Cancelled not postponed
Old 17 May 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4156580)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Is this where we need to go into the minutiae of the definition of cancelled?
Oh I do hope so. Perhaps someone could start with the dictionary definition of the words cancelled and postponed. In the fullness of time there could well be internet arguments to win here.

Shame for the fans and organisers. I hope everyone is OK.
Old 17 May 2023, 15:48 (Ref:4156596)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm confused how to respond now.
The official statement makes no reference to either 'postponed' or 'cancelled'?

https://twitter.com/F1/status/165879...Mto5GCtuA&s=19
Old 17 May 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4156605)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

If you scroll down a little way on that Twitter feed, someone has put some drone footage of the scene including the paddock area. I cannot understand why so many trucks plus other easily moveable items have been left to be flooded.

I understand that they possibly couldn't dismantle some of the temporary structures in time, but surely they could have driven those very expensive artics on to higher ground. It's not as if they didn't know that the water levels were rising, or did they just not care because they would possibly be covered by insurance?
Old 17 May 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4156612)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What is a race, even a F1 one, compared to what happens in the real life? https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-emlia-romagna
Old 17 May 2023, 18:29 (Ref:4156615)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only statements I've seen are they're not going to proceed, neither cancelled or postponed were used by F1 as to the race. So the debate over the definition of moot, just cause media writers want to be first to say X for clicks doesn't make that the official statement
Old 17 May 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4156629)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I appreciate Chris Medland's point of view: https://racer.com/2023/05/17/canceli...he-right-time/
Old 17 May 2023, 20:17 (Ref:4156635)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I understand that they possibly couldn't dismantle some of the temporary structures in time, but surely they could have driven those very expensive artics on to higher ground. It's not as if they didn't know that the water levels were rising, or did they just not Quitecare because they would possibly be covered by insurance?
They couldn't. The local police and the carabinieri were on hand to prevent anyone doing anything that wasn't simply leaving the venue.

Quite a lot of the F2 paddock was under water this morning, as was the FOM TV compound. I dread to think about the amount of kit they had already unloaded and set up
Old 17 May 2023, 22:23 (Ref:4156645)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I pondered a question on the season 2023 thread regarding kit that's in the paddocks.BUt this thread now seems a better location for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I know the teams have several sets of kit but if the paddock is sealed off and out of bounds as I has been suggested, do any of the teams have kit in there that would be going to Monaco after the Imola race. Or leap frogging to Barcelona?

If so will they be able to get it, or could this have a knock on effect especially for the smaller teams at Barcelona?
I phrased the question more as race teams, but the FOM and FIA "teams" have every bit as much if not more kit to move around. So my questions. applies as much to them too.
Old 17 May 2023, 23:47 (Ref:4156652)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I imagine the F1 logistics people will be earning their corn in the next few days.

If I recall, the teams and FOM have at least three sets of kit. One in use, one on the move, and one for the Southern Hemisphere races that lives in Singapore when it's not needed up north.

I guess that means that next weekend at Monaco should be ok, as long as the cars themselves aren't marooned in Italy!
Old 18 May 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4156746)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
first off, absolutely agree with the cancelation and a fair amount of respect for FIA/FOM for getting it right this time around. tricky situations with weather, particularly extreme weather events, but seems that the way it played out they were at least able to act more proactively which is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

vague wording aimed at how payments/insurance works when these types of events can not go ahead?

if thats the case, then understandable of course.

as these extreme weather events become more common and the unfortunate reality that no venue location is immune from this happening (welcome to the present future of our planet i guess), i can not help myself to wonder what protocols F1 have in place to deal with our uncertain climate future?

disruption to transportation corridors, will late season race cancelations be treated differently, should teams be allowed to make up the loss of track time and return to in season tests at their local tracks, how are current year budgets affected and presumably how the loss of revenue for missed events play into the cap structure etc etc?
Old 18 May 2023, 23:15 (Ref:4156772)   #17
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
No choice but to cancel

Would have been impossible and irresponsible to try and go ahead.
While the track and pits were usable, the paddock, spectator areas and various other track facilities were unusable.

Plus the medical and other emergency workers needed for the weekend are very busy elsewhere in the region, and temporary housing and hotels would be full.

And it would be plain tacky and a really bad look to hold a "party" while people are loosing their homes and even dieing just down the road.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:25 (Ref:4156780)   #18
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Patrons who have purchased tickets will have the option to get a refund or have transferred for the 2024 race.

(much like my tickets for Melbourne 2020 - the funds were back in my account within 7 days)
Old 19 May 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4156802)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Everyone agrees this was the right decision. Glad the fans are getting their money back. Shame it's unlikely to get rescheduled due to a congested calendar.

The teams are being allowed back in to get their stuff for the next race in Monaco