Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3316206)   #451
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I do hope you took a screen grab of it Andrew, because with the way the counter works it's not going to be recognisable as a milestone for very long...
Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3316209)   #452
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hadn't Ian, but I did before posting this..... Almost seems a shame to spoil it!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3316221)   #453
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Can I send you a warning for off topic posts?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3316222)   #454
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
This isn't a post to talk about anything at all, just to achieve a milestone.
Now Andrew 25k posts is amazing but if each post took 1 minute that is a massive amount of time spent in here, makes my 3.5k look very insignificant.
Anyway congratulations on another milestone
Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3316224)   #455
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheers - it's also amazing to think that I've been visiting here for 12 years now.......
Old 11 Oct 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3316228)   #456
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Almost 8 years for me now, but averaging under 500 posts a year unlike your over 2k posts a year
Old 11 Oct 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3316279)   #457
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we don't speak of how long i've been coming here. it ends up in a Bad Place.

i think it actually predates the internet...
Old 11 Oct 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3316311)   #458
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't believe you were still in infants school when you joined up!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3316324)   #459
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
And i suppose you were still in short trousers Andrew
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3316330)   #460
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think shorts are an accurate indication of age, or are they, Simon?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3316337)   #461
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Due to recent changes in the weather I have given up on the shorts but if the good weather returns they will be coming out again,
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3316362)   #462
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Cheers - it's also amazing to think that I've been visiting here for 12 years now.......
Is that a calculation of how long you took to post each of the 25,007 or in years since you joined?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3316368)   #463
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I joined In October 2001..... Nearly 3 years after a certain Race Official and Wannabe Forum Goddess and Pedantic Princess!!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3316375)   #464
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, but you've got twice as many posts as i have
Old 11 Oct 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3316446)   #465
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Congratulations Andrew! .

A bit funny to think that I was only 8 years old, when Bella joined, 11 years old when Andrew joined, 16 when Simon joined, and 18 when I joined.
You really do grow roots in this place like no where else (In fact, Ten-Tenths and my family is the only things in my life, which hasn't changed over the last 5 years )
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3316471)   #466
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

A bit funny to think that I was only 8 years old, when Bella joined, 11 years old when Andrew joined, 16 when Simon joined, and 18 when I joined.
You really do grow roots in this place like no where else (In fact, Ten-Tenths and my family is the only things in my life, which hasn't changed over the last 5 years )
Outstanding - I think we can all figure that our grey haired heads have been amiably ruffled here!

In the spirit of general bonhomie though I think we all agree that there's a great sense of community, which as Simon and I were commenting on in June, has increasingly started to transcend what goes on online - very much to be encouraged.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3316487)   #467
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
I too have had several offs there........... on an awful driving game several years ago that shall remain nameless.
This, from the 2014 track changes thread, suggested a possible new topic of discussion for the fallow period between now and I guess when we start making real plans in the new year.

My curiousity is piqued by what the "awful driving game" might have been? Thinking about the ones I've played over the years most have been okay but in no particular order and relying exclusively on my perhaps patchy recollection...

1980s WEC Le Mans arcade game: quite enjoyable for sitting in a 962 model cabinet, but don't remember it being especially convincing

1980s/1990s 8 bit / 16 bit platform. Pretty sure I remember having a driving game that had a bash at showing Le Mans, either in the late 80s on an Amstrad CPC or in the early 90s on an Atari ST. No concept as to what they were called, but a distinct recollection that they underwhelmed in the extreme...

2000s Gran Turismo 4 PlayStation 2: The real eye opener for me, and I still reckon it's the most satisfying of the franchise in rewarding repetition and tweaking of settings. This, in the days before I went to Le Mans in person, did most to really teach me how the track hung together.

1990s Le Mans Sega Dreamcast. Listed after GT4 simply because I played this first in 2007, getting a Dreamcast on eBay simply for that purpose when I moved to Belgium and figured I could do with some evening entertainment. This I liked, a lot, especially with the representation of the straight plunge down after Dunlop. Got fiendishly difficult as once you got to the level where really interesting cars got unlocked automatic gearshift became disabled, so I didn't persist much beyond, so missing out on some of the really fun cars available, in particular the Lancia LC2. High point I think being driving the Porsche WSC95.

2000s GRID PlayStation 3. Frustrating, I wanted to like it as a game but never really got to grips with it, and I never really felt its representation of Le Mans lived up to expectations, especially in terms of the day/night transitions. Handling wise in particular I found all the cars a bit peaky and it pretty quickly got relegated to a drawer in the sitting room where I'm pretty sure it still sits.

2010s Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3. A lot of fun but gut feel is the franchise is a bit arcadey now. Le Mans looks great, but doesn't feel nearly as absorbing as it came across in GT4.

I'm sure there are a whole load of other contenders out there - but have any of us come across ones which particularly satisfied, or perhaps more entertainingly particularly offended us?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3316490)   #468
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

Andrew is truly an amazing individual and his commitment, dedication, and passion for this side of the forum is unrivaled, in my opinion. 25K... props to you, Ayse!

To parallel your points, Mathias, I was only a few months old when Bella joined, barely over three when Andrew joined, and eight when Simon joined. I'm 15 now. Looking back, I didn't ever have much of a chance to enter the 10 Tenths Hall of Fame until perhaps the year 2020.

I'd love to see a screenshot of Aysedasi's profile when his post count was "1". Do you remember what your first ever post was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Outstanding - I think we can all figure that our grey haired heads have been amiably ruffled here!

In the spirit of general bonhomie though I think we all agree that there's a great sense of community, which as Simon and I were commenting on in June, has increasingly started to transcend what goes on online - very much to be encouraged.
Well spoken, as ever, Ian - you will be forever known on 10 Tenths as the member with undoubtedly the largest lexicon and most insightful commentary. Well done.

I wonder what I'll be known for in the next 10 years? Probably my obsession with changing avatar pics - that's something I can actually surpass Andrew with.

Here is a blast from the past...

And with that, until approximately 12:00 PM GMT January 1, 2014, I will be running a "tribute livery". Check out my new avatar - well, it isn't exactly "new". It's the first avatar I ever had on here. Brings a tear to my eye. :')
Old 11 Oct 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3316492)   #469
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
And with that, until approximately 12:00 PM GMT January 1, 2014, I will be running a "tribute livery". Check out my new avatar - well, it isn't exactly "new". It's the first avatar I ever had on here. Brings a tear to my eye. :')
Getting the cheers for the kind words out of the way, for which seriously many thanks, now onto the serious business - do please explain the affinity for the relaunch shape Beetle???

Original one I can see the appeal in, the current one's okay from certain angles, but that one? really?
Old 12 Oct 2013, 03:42 (Ref:3316553)   #470
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Getting the cheers for the kind words out of the way, for which seriously many thanks, now onto the serious business - do please explain the affinity for the relaunch shape Beetle???

Original one I can see the appeal in, the current one's okay from certain angles, but that one? really?
Ah, well, it isn't that great, is it, but it's my first avatar and I figured I could resurrect it from the dead. All the same, the old VW Beetle isn't too inspiring. Nonetheless, I quite like this version...

It just makes me happy.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3316613)   #471
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Although I joined at the beginning of 2006 I had been a visitor to the site for a few years, using it and Andrews own site to gather information and see what was happening, I was always hesitant to actually post as I thought my knowledge was limited and was nervous that everyone else seemed so knowledgeable, I think I actually joined and started to post when someone was asking for a camping ticket for TR and I had a spare, once I started to post and after a failed attempt to find and meet everyone at the saturday meet the first year I soon became a regular and adopted the camping advisor role, together with a reputation for the worst hat (although plenty of other contenders this year).
Old 12 Oct 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3316628)   #472
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've not been on the forum half (or even a quarter) as long as the veterans.

That said, I signed up in Sept 2010 after lurking for a bit, looking to get some advice on going to Le Mans.

Under nine months later not only was I at the race, but I was stood in the Audi garage! That's down to the people on this forum so thank you.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3316782)   #473
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I've not been on the forum half (or even a quarter) as long as the veterans.

That said, I signed up in Sept 2010 after lurking for a bit, looking to get some advice on going to Le Mans.

Under nine months later not only was I at the race, but I was stood in the Audi garage! That's down to the people on this forum so thank you.
10 Tenths has very good connections. And thank you as well for those who could make it possible!
Old 14 Oct 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3317672)   #474
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My curiousity is piqued by what the "awful driving game" might have been? Thinking about the ones I've played over the years most have been okay but in no particular order and relying exclusively on my perhaps patchy recollection...

2000s GRID PlayStation 3. Frustrating, I wanted to like it as a game but never really got to grips with it, and I never really felt its representation of Le Mans lived up to expectations, especially in terms of the day/night transitions. Handling wise in particular I found all the cars a bit peaky and it pretty quickly got relegated to a drawer in the sitting room where I'm pretty sure it still sits.
It was Grid, a game whose physics engine has decreed that the slightest touch of the throttle will induce a tyre shredding, tarmac marking, powerslide that won't end until you exit the ford chicane.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3317692)   #475
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
It was Grid, a game whose physics engine has decreed that the slightest touch of the throttle will induce a tyre shredding, tarmac marking, powerslide that won't end until you exit the ford chicane.
I think Grid might have made the worst attempt at recreating the Le Mans 24 Hours there has ever been - or ever will be.

I remember that basically you could brake through corners and that attempting to brake in a straight line did absolutely nothing - it was just a glorified arcade game.

Le Mans itself was a shambles. Because of the Le Mans "10 minutes" or whatever it was, you always lapped Mulsanne Corner to the Porsche curves in the dark. So they made the track twice as wide as it is in real life to make it easier for you. It just didn't look a thing like Le Mans.

Then there was the annoying thing of the race ending at dead on 24 hours. You didn't complete the lap you were on - 24 hours were up, the race is done and finished. Had anyone at the game ever been?

Did anyone have Le Mans 24 Hours on Playstation 2? It had the 2000 race on there. The cars got no damage, the driving physics were appalling, but the novelty of some of the cars you could drive never wore off for me...