Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Oct 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3459650)   #1126
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Anyone got the DVD yet? My Blu-Ray arrived today. Just watching it back now.

Same great four-hour format we've had since 2011. Beautiful HD pictures, but the RLM comms really makes it emotive and brings back a lot of memories from watching trackside.

Long may these reviews continue.
Got the download version when it was released back in August - liked it a lot. The long format is slowly growing on me - still limits the number of times I'll stick them on due to the investment of time etc, but the quality of pictures etc is all very good indeed.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3459652)   #1127
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am waiting a bit to purchase my copy.
I do not have the time currently to see all 4 hours straight, which I know I will do if I get it. So have to spare myself and wait
Old 3 Oct 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3459675)   #1128
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
With the usual leadtime of two weeks for sending a package from the UK to Belgium, I'll watch something else in the meantime!
Old 3 Oct 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3459806)   #1129
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have the BluRay on order.....
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3459900)   #1130
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't wait to watch - even though I've seen the race few times already afterwards, watching the traditional Duke review is always such special moment at the end of the year.

Regarding the comms on the review, was it the same arrangement as in 2011-2013 (Chris Tate + whoever in the "world feed" doing the first and final bits and RLM gang evening/night/morning) or RLM doing the whole thing?
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3459907)   #1131
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Regarding the comms on the review, was it the same arrangement as in 2011-2013 (Chris Tate + whoever in the "world feed" doing the first and final bits and RLM gang evening/night/morning) or RLM doing the whole thing?
It's basically all RLM this year. The "world feed" covers the pre-race grid ceremonies only and then once they take the flag it's RLM.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3459911)   #1132
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's basically all RLM this year. The "world feed" covers the pre-race grid ceremonies only and then once they take the flag it's RLM.
Thanks, cool.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3460170)   #1133
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is such good news.....

What about night footage - there seemed to be very few cameras up and running during the night?
Old 4 Oct 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3460176)   #1134
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
What about night footage - there seemed to be very few cameras up and running during the night?
In the night there are never any (non-CCTV) cameras in the public street sections nor Porsche majority of Porsche Curves, and as the DVD/Blu coverage isn't any difference from the world feed as seen on TV you're not gonna get anything extra in terms of that. Same every year because they are lazy and can't pay for few cameramen to stay. It was even better in the late 90's
Old 4 Oct 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3460196)   #1135
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah there's nothing been added in during the night on the DVD. Certainly frustrating (as it was trackside) to hear Trussers talking us through security camera pictures but not being able to see anything of the stricken #7.

Really annoys me to be honest. It's the ACO's jewel in the crown. It's once a year. Just hire around the clock production and filming staff.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3460204)   #1136
Deleted
Veteran

If I had to find one silver lining to that, it's that if they kept the cameras rolling there the whole time some idiot would probably sooner or later think that they'd need big floodlight posts everywhere to make it a 'better show', like around the non -public street areas already. Today there is some light in places at Mulsanne and Indy and Arnage etc (so in no way it's like Nordschleife or even Spa in the night) but it's still minimal compared to the rest, thankfully. So maybe by doing this "lazy route" we are in a way saving the rest of the circuit being spoiled by unnecessary amount of lighting. There needs to be true element of darkness, not almost complete daylight environment like at Austin or Bahrain or wherever boring nowadays
Old 4 Oct 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3460210)   #1137
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess so. You can't have your cake and eat it...... Trouble is, for me, it's the racing during the darkness that I love so much......
Old 4 Oct 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3460214)   #1138
Deleted
Veteran

Well at least we have the onboards. Watch them with some smooth atmospheric music during the night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrvbc33yHU

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Oct 2014 at 14:39.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3460234)   #1139
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No music needed!
Old 4 Oct 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3460284)   #1140
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No music needed!
The sound of the engines is the music we want to hear

And how comes the Ayse has started flashing
Old 4 Oct 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3460331)   #1141
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Magic.......
Old 4 Oct 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3460396)   #1142
Deleted
Veteran

If the engine notes in these modern cars were more spectacular I'd listen to solely them too, but right now the car sound + music is the best mix for me.

The Oak coupe onboards are the most satisfying for me as you see the cockpit properly and the car doesn't vibrate too badly (like the Porkie) and/or have transmission breakups (Toyota & Porsche). Also them being faster than most of the cars but still below P1 makes for interesting traffic encounters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5PQdRoLvA8

From these you can see how blatantly everybody is violating Mulsanne chicane 1 and Corvette Corner asphalt runoffs especially. AF Corse especially tended to take the chicanes with no care at all - and why shouldn't they when there's no risk and race control does nothing

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Oct 2014 at 19:41.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3461671)   #1143
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Putting aside the terrible events of last weekend Suzuka F1 race for a minute, anyone else wondering again if Alonso leaving Ferrari and waving a flag at the start of 2014 LM is anyway linked/ related?
I know we spoke of this before but surely the lack of announcement from Fernando gives more reason to suspect...?
If not and he does go to McLaren/ Honda, does that mean we could see Jenson joining Webber as past F1 drivers at Le Sarthe?
Old 7 Oct 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3461703)   #1144
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Putting aside the terrible events of last weekend Suzuka F1 race for a minute, anyone else wondering again if Alonso leaving Ferrari and waving a flag at the start of 2014 LM is anyway linked/ related?
I know we spoke of this before but surely the lack of announcement from Fernando gives more reason to suspect...?
If not and he does go to McLaren/ Honda, does that mean we could see Jenson joining Webber as past F1 drivers at Le Sarthe?
Alonso waved the flag as a representative of Ferrari so part of the link to Le Mans this year has been severed. That said Ferrari seem to have stopped the posturing and will concentrate on F1. How that rumour went from being a 'done deal/announcement in days' according to some sources to absolutely nothing I'm not sure.

I did think Alonso was nailed on for McLaren but now I (and seemingly a lot of people) are starting to second guess that. I don't think anyone has any idea? Alonso might have suddenly gone from the most important mover in the driver market to a guy looking for scraps. Talk of a year out with 2016 being the more significant season.

As for Button. He's shown no desire to race outside of F1. As we've seen before, that might change if he does find himself without a drive. He doesn't need the money. It will purely be down to whether he has that desire to compete beyond F1. If I was a betting man I'd say we won't see him at La Sarthe.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3462064)   #1145
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
No top F1 driver will consider a LM drive before his F1 career is realistically over, nor would they admit to it.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3462082)   #1146
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's a shame that the days (admittedly long ago) where drivers would drive anything in any series are long gone. I bet there are quite a few on the grid in F1 who'd fancy a run at Le Mans but either contractually, financially or psychologically it just isn't possible.....
Old 8 Oct 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3462089)   #1147
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I would agree but there is also the fact that the real top drivers do not want to finish their career trolling around the back or even the midfield of F1 without any realistic possibility of things getting better. In those circumstances a final flourish with a top P1 team is a better bet and the money flowing into P1 teams could allow them to make the drive very rewarding indeed just ask Mr Webber
Old 8 Oct 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3462106)   #1148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I agree, but isn't everything sacrificed to the great God of F1 Simon? To most, even trundling around at the back of an F1 grid, miles off the pace of even the midfield runners seems preferable. It's one of the reasons why Webber's 'defection' to sportscars was so important in terms of publicity and credibility......IMO.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3462189)   #1149
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I agree, but isn't everything sacrificed to the great God of F1 Simon? To most, even trundling around at the back of an F1 grid, miles off the pace of even the midfield runners seems preferable. It's one of the reasons why Webber's 'defection' to sportscars was so important in terms of publicity and credibility......IMO.
Maybe that sums up the progress that WEC is making especially with P1 - that F1 drivers moving on from top teams may be starting to find a factory P1 drive more attractive than downgrading to a mid/bottom tier F1 team?
Old 8 Oct 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3462194)   #1150
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Maybe that sums up the progress that WEC is making especially with P1 - that F1 drivers moving on from top teams may be starting to find a factory P1 drive more attractive than downgrading to a mid/bottom tier F1 team?
I don't think so. 9 out of 10 would still choose Marussia over Audi if it was offered, sadly.

Case Webber was different as he was clearly getting bored/done with the (success he had been having in the) series anyways.