Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Jan 2022, 03:03 (Ref:4096781)   #801
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ESPN reported Helio won the Daytona 24 in the crawler during the VT game. Yup, just Helio. Oh, the second line was he won over Ricky Taylor, his teammate from last year. Guess they were the only drivers in the cars? Come on ESPN.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 03:42 (Ref:4096784)   #802
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But did they mention Jimmie? Might still be one up on NBC.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 04:00 (Ref:4096788)   #803
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nah, they don't have NASCAR any more so they don't care. Honestly I was more surprised thab anything to see the race mentioned at all watching the Hokies win for the first time in Tallahassee since 1990, 0-12.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 04:50 (Ref:4096792)   #804
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A point came up about the influence of cautions on IMSA races. These have been moved to a new thread to allow comprehensive discussion on that with out it getting in the way of the specifics here.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156878

Thanks all.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 09:49 (Ref:4096807)   #805
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Disappointing showing from Corvette, I really thought they were just sandbagging last week.
Corvette were right in it until their alternator issues etc.

Up until dark they were within 5 seconds of the lead ferrari in 6th place...probably just sitting there until 'go time'

In terms of the Porsche battle i see no issue, great close racing, a bit of bump n run from both drivers so all fair. The bus stop incident was just down to both drivers not wanting to brake first, if roles were reversed, the same incident would have happened. brilliant recovery from Laurens.

Overall a cracking race, close racing, great overtaking, big grids, mostly sensible driving, no controversy or whinging from teams, track limits issues etc....its what racing should be about.

Refreshing
Old 31 Jan 2022, 14:32 (Ref:4096840)   #806
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
ESPN reported Helio won the Daytona 24 in the crawler during the VT game. Yup, just Helio. Oh, the second line was he won over Ricky Taylor, his teammate from last year. Guess they were the only drivers in the cars? Come on ESPN.
The small newspaper article this morning said that Helio won the 24, on his own apparently.

DSC has some interesting stats about the winners in all classes:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...e-numbers.html

Lots of first time rolex winners.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4096857)   #807
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The small newspaper article this morning said that Helio won the 24, on his own apparently.

DSC has some interesting stats about the winners in all classes:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...e-numbers.html

Lots of first time rolex winners.

At least its not the year of Alonso, where Alonsos car was fastest in testing, despite alonso being on the other side of the planet at the time

(Taylor was testing it)
Old 31 Jan 2022, 15:40 (Ref:4096864)   #808
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It’s the lot of sportscar racing. The Daytona 24 hours, which has previously seen Alonso participate and this year Jimmie Johnson finish, was won by a Stars in their Eyes winner.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4096866)   #809
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Corvette were right in it until their alternator issues etc.

Up until dark they were within 5 seconds of the lead ferrari in 6th place...probably just sitting there until 'go time'
I’d thought they’d dropped away earlier. Probably just a function of not seeing them on the coverage much, just checking on leases in classes from my part and the timing of my pub trip. But mainly my memory!

I remember them looking at the back of the car in the pits and thinking that the cameraman sticking the camera in just be getting in the way!
Old 31 Jan 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4096868)   #810
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It’s the lot of sportscar racing. The Daytona 24 hours, which has previously seen Alonso participate and this year Jimmie Johnson finish, was won by a Stars in their Eyes winner.

Hélio Castroneves won Dancing with the Stars in 2007. It's the US equivalent of the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4096873)   #811
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
is it that long ago? Doesn’t time fly.
Old 31 Jan 2022, 19:38 (Ref:4096900)   #812
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay ..... probably not going to be the most popular post on here ..... but here goes!

I have followed IMSA from afar for a while - even contemplated going to Daytona in Jan 2019 but for various reasons unfortunately didn't make it.
Watched probably around 13 hours of this years race live and thoroughly enjoyed it ....... when they were actually racing! And there is my problem!
There was some great on track battles this year with, on the whole, some pretty good, clean fights. Even the last 20 minutes with Vanthoor and Jaminet were, for me, completely acceptable - two of the best GT racers going hard at it for one of the biggest prizes on the circuit - no issues with that at all. Kev Mag's hard but fair passes and defence were fine by me too - these guys are 'racers' - let them race and race hard!

But ..... and it's a really big but ....... for those guys on here who complain about the SRO safety car procedure and the time it takes and the rules that they use, just take a good look at the amount of time that this race spent behind the SC.
The last caution too around 30 minutes to sort out for one stopped car out on track! Really! Come on ..... just sort out the issue and let them race!
I know that the IMSA system produces close racing but the teams and drivers proved over the Sunday morning that they really don't need any help - if they are good enough then they will be there at the end come what may.

For me, great race almost ruined by artificial SC/Yellow flag rules!
Many thanks to the teams and drivers that kept my interest going throughout, despite IMSA's best efforts ........

I'll leave the room now!
Old 31 Jan 2022, 22:16 (Ref:4096915)   #813
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Here’s a great thread to discuss that. https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...=156878&page=2

It is not a 2022 Daytona 24 specific topic. To save us repeating each race!
Old 1 Feb 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4096999)   #814
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
A few notes from Daytona today on Autosport.

A bit more from Alex Lynn on heir fuel pump issue.
https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...-shot/7773048/

The Brits in the squad chat about the win and the team
https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...nning/7797442/

And Vanthoor on the battle
https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...efeat/7796140/
Old 1 Feb 2022, 19:03 (Ref:4097002)   #815
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just caught up on the finish during lunch here. Epic GT battle. Happy for Shank. Looking forward to Sebring!
Old 1 Feb 2022, 20:11 (Ref:4097009)   #816
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I don’t really care though. It’s all about the spectacle and the atmosphere for me and Daytona wins at both.
yeah, this.

a lot of you are getting lost in the details just like with le mans. it's definitely symptomatic of only being in a position to watch races on tv and not really interact with an event to be honest.

daytona was by far the hardest event i've ever done. the logistical challenge is huge, especially if you've got a bit of distance between your garage and your box and you're not in a position to throw $100k plus at bespoke pit equipment for usa-style racing. you lose SO much time if you don't have the luxury of being able to put off going behind the wall until a full course caution. it's physically tough on the guys who go over the wall, they're the same ones who have to run to and from the garage if the car ends up there. it's mentally tough because of the curfews and the slightly heightened stress of having to get everything done within that narrow timeframe.

and don't get me started on the cold
Old 16 Feb 2022, 22:02 (Ref:4099010)   #817
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Here's my first album of pictures from Daytona: https://bit.ly/3sISzR7

This covers start (including pre-race) to dusk, essentially one lap of the track from high in the grandstands through to each of the infield bleachers.

Pictures are cropped to 16:9 and resized, some editing out of shadows or hoardings, but not otherwise retouched.

There's some video as well, just to encourage you to scroll through all 750 pictures

Enjoy!
Old 22 Feb 2022, 10:35 (Ref:4099726)   #818
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Second Daytona album: https://bit.ly/3sWRHIS

Night time and early morning, again pretty much one full circuit of all the viewing spots. Daytona is just awesome at night. My thanks to the friendly RV owners who allowed (in one case invited) me to spend generous time atop their viewing platforms!

Dawn wasn't quite the incredible display of 2020, but the early morning light and shadows were still glorious. Once the sun was up I stopped taking pictures and just sat for 4 or 5 wonderful hours high in the grandstand just taking it all in.

I did get pictures of the finish and the celebrations, but I missed the winner crossing the line! Watching Castroneves for the final stint was deeply impressive. He was visibly the fastest on track and was flawless for lap after lap, an absolute masterclass.

I loved being back at Daytona after missing 2021. I'll be there every year I'm fit and able and it's physically possible to get there, it's an awesome event. I hope you enjoy these photos .
Old 22 Feb 2022, 18:49 (Ref:4099777)   #819
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Second Daytona album: https://bit.ly/3sWRHIS

Night time and early morning, again pretty much one full circuit of all the viewing spots. Daytona is just awesome at night. My thanks to the friendly RV owners who allowed (in one case invited) me to spend generous time atop their viewing platforms!

Dawn wasn't quite the incredible display of 2020, but the early morning light and shadows were still glorious. Once the sun was up I stopped taking pictures and just sat for 4 or 5 wonderful hours high in the grandstand just taking it all in.

I did get pictures of the finish and the celebrations, but I missed the winner crossing the line! Watching Castroneves for the final stint was deeply impressive. He was visibly the fastest on track and was flawless for lap after lap, an absolute masterclass.

I loved being back at Daytona after missing 2021. I'll be there every year I'm fit and able and it's physically possible to get there, it's an awesome event. I hope you enjoy these photos .
Thanks for sharing these. The night shots from the infield are great, so much traffic, and so many strategies of extra illumination on the cars. Also the videos from high in the grandstands where you can see the oval and infield are great, gives a perspective of how large the facility is!